Removing acrylics

RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I have acrylic nails and have had them for any years. I am at a point now where I kind of miss my own nails and am considering getting the acrylics removed. I know my nails are going to be weak for awhile but how long are we talking? I have seen some other posts about OPI Nail Envy. Is that something you put on everyday? Can it go over polish or only under? I really like the short rounded (oval) nails with dark polish on them but I don't know how that would look on me because I am super pale, plus chipped polish kind of drives me nuts. Suggestions, tips? Anything would be appreciated. :D
Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town

Comments

• zsazsazsazsa Posts: 85Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I had worn nails for 15 years and finally remove them for the final time October 2004! I have alot of yeast in my system naturally, and I was afraid of what the unnatural nail my have been doing to my health long-term. :?
    I used SALLY HANSEN NAIL GROWTH MIRACLE (in the gold bottle).
    I also wore a sheer iridescent glitter-like (very small chips of glitter) polish to hide the grooves, dents, and damage :cry:
    I used REVLON TOP SPEED TOP COAT over it, and I had to remove ever 1-2 days.
    I used alot of natural oils (OO,SFO,CO,etc...) rubbed into my nail beds and cuticles at night to rehydrate them, and I buffed the lightly weekly to smooth out the dents.
    My nails took months to recover
    I did not use OPI, however I have known people that have had great results with it, and it does need to be applied daily, then removed after so many days!
    PASSWORD: DAN-DAN
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just had a new set done a couple months ago and my nails didn't look too bad, just thin. I didn't see any ridges so I guess that is good. I do use a vitamin E oil several times a day now because it keeps my cuticles soft so that wouldn't be too hard to keep up with. I am thinking once I remove them, I will continue to see my nail tech just for manicures to help keep them nice (that and I can't polish my nails worth a darn :D ). How often should I have that done? Right now I go every two weeks. I could stay on that same schedule. And my nail tech does hot towel wraps and massage with manicures so that's a plus :D
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
  • three rivers curlythree rivers curly Posts: 994Registered Users
    I did the Nail Envy every day for about a month. Another odd trick that I learned from a hair designer - put protein conditioner under the tip of the nail (nail bed) at night. This will help strengthen and promote nail growth. He was really into scalp massage with deep conditioners on all of his clients, and he had to trim his nail twice a week.

Good luck - it is a real pain, but so worth it when it is done!
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

http://public.fotki.com/hmiklos
    put protein conditioner under the tip of the nail (nail bed) at night.

That's interesting. I might try that. I wonder if my B&A gel will help since it has protein in it and I certainly have my hands in it every morning?! :lol: I think carrots are supposed to help too and I have been eating more of those lately (more for dietary purposes than anything else)....or was that to help eyesite. I can't remember. I am so ready to take them off now, but I just had a fill done last Thursday so I am trying to hold off till next week so my nail tech won't think I'm crazy :wink: Unfortunately once I make a decision I want it done right then. No patience :D
    So my acrylics will come off Wednesday night. I had to at least get two weeks out of the last fill so the money wasn't totally wasted. I am so excited because I was flipping through the new Cosmo and they are talking about how dark nail colors are back again for fall (on short rounded nails). I love that look so I am ready to do it. I bought some Nail Envy. I hope it works as well as it says. I am a little afraid because I haven't had natural nails in so long and they are going to be so weak so I will be worried about banging them on things. But overall it will be good! :D
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
    Use your nail strengthener on the underneath side of your nails too. This worked wonders for me. I've never had acrylics on, but after a horrible eczema experience last summer when the prescription weakened my natural nails, this was the best tip I found.
    ________
    Headshop

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file