What are good oils for the hair and scalp?

NaturallyCurlyVixenNaturallyCurlyVixen Registered Users Posts: 37
I'd like to try a natural oil routine but I'm a little stumped on what oils are best for the scalp. I have a dry irritated scalp. I read the jojoba oil and rosemary oils are good. Has anyone ever used emu oil for their scalp, or know if it's a good idea? Also, how would I apply the oils? Would I apply then directly to my scalp, or just in my hair? Should I apply heat or just let them set for a few minutes to an hour? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you! :)
*~Asia~*
All natural for the second time since October 30, 2010 after cutting the last 3-4 inches of t-laxed hair. I am learning to love and style my curly 3C/4A hair without frying it with the flat iron :mrgreen:

My goal is to have BSL hair again in 18 months! I'm a PJ and always on the look out for my Holy Grail! :laughing6:

Comments

• jsocurleighjsocurleigh Registered Users Posts: 265
    Tea tree oil is great for a dry scalp. I use regular cooking olive oil on my hair as a hot oil treatment and a moisture sealant. All my styling products have olive oil in them too. I had really bad dandruff especially this time of year when I wore a relaxer, tea tree oil helped but didn't cure it. I haven't seen a single flake since I stopped getting relaxers.

To apply you should massage them into your scalp gently then use your fingers or a brush to distribute the oil to the rest of your hair. A little goes a long way. If your ends need extra attention you can apply oil directly there.
    *AVEDA Cosmetology Graduate*
    *DEVA Trained Stylist*

4a*reformed PJ* mixologist*twistologist*extremely hair obsessed
    Twitter/@JayeEllis
  • NaturallyCurlyVixenNaturallyCurlyVixen Registered Users Posts: 37
    Thanks jsocurleigh. I have a dry flakey scalp. I know it's because of the relaxer. When I transitioned my scalp became very healthy, then I relapsed (twice) and I'm back to square one. I will try the tea tree oil and olive oil and see how it goes. Thanks again! :)
    *~Asia~*
    All natural for the second time since October 30, 2010 after cutting the last 3-4 inches of t-laxed hair. I am learning to love and style my curly 3C/4A hair without frying it with the flat iron :mrgreen:

My goal is to have BSL hair again in 18 months! I'm a PJ and always on the look out for my Holy Grail! :laughing6:
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Registered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice
    I use regular cooking olive oil on my hair as a hot oil treatment and a moisture sealant.

How does that work? I'm really curious to try it. How do you heat it up and how do you know how warm to make it?
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • mariag002mariag002 Registered Users Posts: 3,557 Curl Neophyte
    I've been using olive oil too and it seems to be working. I don't measure anything but I put some honey in a cup, put it in the microwave for a few seconds, add olive oil and distribute it throughout my hair. When I'm done I put a shower cap on my head for an hour or two, then I rinse it out.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    I'm not a big fan of oil directly on the scalp because you're giving your scalp and hair follicles a message to produce less sebum, the follicle's natural oil. And if your scalp decreases its output of sebum, your hair and scalp become even more dry. I am a big fan of oils on the hair, especially wet or damp hair.

Maybe try spraying 60% water/35%glycerin/5%honey mix on your scalp to moisten and hydrate it. You can also spray on your hair too (dampen) then rub oil on your hair, then cover with a baggy to DT/moisturize over night. If your're shampooing try a non-sulfate shampoo. Or just wash with conditioner and gently scrub your scalp.

I love these oils/oil products:
    Grapeseed oil
    tamanu oil
    Avocado oil
    Ojon Restorative Hair Treatment
    Hairveda Cocasta Oil (scented castor and coconut oil with ayurvedic/Indian herbs)
    Castor oil
    Whipped butter made with murumuru butter, castor or grapeseed, a little glycerin.

Finally, check out the Qhemet Biologics line for some very hydrating, moisturizing and emollient products. It's an exceptional line. The Hydrating Balm can be diluted and used like water and glycerin. Honeybush Hair tea gel is good too. And they just introduced some new butter creams - I'm waiting for my order of burdock root butter to come in.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • jsocurleighjsocurleigh Registered Users Posts: 265
    nynaeve77 wrote: »
    I use regular cooking olive oil on my hair as a hot oil treatment and a moisture sealant.

How does that work? I'm really curious to try it. How do you heat it up and how do you know how warm to make it?

I nearly burned a hole through my head the first time I did it! LOL I was rushing and didn't test it on my wrist first but yes, as Maria said, just warm it in the microwave. If you see bubbles ( like i did) walk away from the mug and come back later lol. Just a minute or less is all you need.
    *AVEDA Cosmetology Graduate*
    *DEVA Trained Stylist*

4a*reformed PJ* mixologist*twistologist*extremely hair obsessed
    Twitter/@JayeEllis

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file