New fitness and nutrition log

badgercurlsbadgercurls Posts: 3,077Registered Users
My old log got deleted in the purge... and it's probably a good thing, because I'm back to square one after the holidays! I'm trying to get back on track and hoping posting here will keep me accountable.

1/5/08 Edit: I bought the book The New Rules of Weight Training for Women last night and am really intrigued by the program it suggests. So I'm going to try it instead of my self-devised program. So my plan will be: strength training (workouts from the book) 2-3x week, 30 minutes of cardio 2-3x week, at least one day of total rest/week. On strength training days, 2200 calories and on non-stength training days, 1900 calories. On both days, around 40:30:30 ratio of carbs:protein:fat. I'll also drink 8+ glasses of water a day and take my multi-vitamin, B vitamin complex, EFAs and calcium daily.

Comments

• badgercurlsbadgercurls Posts: 3,077Registered Users
    Today's Log:
    Nutrition:
    Breakfast: granola with raisins and skim milk
    Snack: whey protein powder in skim milk
    Lunch: Kashi Go Lean cereal with skim milk
    Dinner: homemade minestrone soup, chicken breast, homemade whole wheat bread with butter
    Snack: Quaker Simple Harvest hot cereal

Met my macro goals
    Took my vitamin, EFAs, calcium.
    8 glasses of water

FITNESS:
    I will hopefully do some yoga before bed. I weight trained too hard yesterday and am extremely sore today.
  • CherishCherish Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    Looking good!

What do you do for post-workout recovery?
    Cherish wrote: »
    Looking good!

Thanks! :toothy7:
    I probably don't do enough for post-workout recovery. I stretch before and after working out and I drink a scoop of whey protein powder in skim milk right after I work out. On the night I was very sore from lifting weights, I did several yoga stretches before bed and took some ibuprofen so I could sleep. If you have any suggestions to improve my post-workout recovery routine, I'd really appreciate it!
    Today's Log: Thursday, January 3, 2008

Nutrition:
    -I ate well even though we had take-out. I <3 online nutrition information for restaurants!
    -Macros: 1733 cals: 219 carbs/49 fat/101 protein/39 fiber
    -Drank 11 glasses of water so far (woooo)
    -Took vitamin and supplements

Fitness:
    I didn't feel like going out in the cold to walk over to the fitness center at my apartment complex, so I danced/jogged in place/jumped around in my living room while watching TV for 30 minutes. I was much sweatier and felt more out of breath than I do with the treadmill, so this may be a viable alternative to switch things up. Also did 2 sets each of 15 crunches and reverse crunches.
    Cherish wrote: »
    Looking good!

Thanks! :toothy7:
    I probably don't do enough for post-workout recovery. I stretch before and after working out and I drink a scoop of whey protein powder in skim milk right after I work out. On the night I was very sore from lifting weights, I did several yoga stretches before bed and took some ibuprofen so I could sleep. If you have any suggestions to improve my post-workout recovery routine, I'd really appreciate it!

Milk is a slower digesting protein than whey, so you might want to save it for right before bed. The 2 things you need after lifting are a fast-digesting carb (e.g fructose or dextrose) and fast-disgesting protein. Depending on the flavor of whey you have, you could mix it with some a little fruit juice + water (I like to use emergen-c since the Vit C & B's in it help).

You will still be sore, but should recover faster.
    Thanks Cherish! I tried mixing the whey with diluted orange juice after my workout this morning, and to my surprise it tasted better than it does when mixed with milk. I have some Emergen-c somewhere, too... I'll try to find it. :)
    Cherish - just wanted to thank you again for the fast-digesting carbs tip... I was so much less sore yesterday after drinking OJ + whey rather than milk + whey. :toothy7: The new workout/nutrition plan I'm following suggests the same idea, too.

Mostly for myself, I'm listing what I ate today (Day 1 of my adventure in using The New Rules for Weight Lifting for Women) because I thought there was NO way I was going to be able to figure out how to eat 145 g of carbs in one day, and it turns out that I actually exceeded that today! I'm so proud of myself!

Breakfast:
    Omelet with 1 egg, 2 egg whites, kale, onion, and light string cheese. 1/2 cup of OJ diluted with water + Emergen-c (I am fighting off a cold)

(Didn't have a mid-morning snack b/c I woke up really late, so breakfast and lunch were only 2 hours apart.)

Lunch:
    Trader Joe's chicken chile verde mixed with brown rice, 1/4 cup TJ's omega-3 trail mix.

Afternoon snack:
    Banana and a piece of string cheese.

Dinner:
    Chicken breast cooked with lemon and pepper, whole-wheat couscous, asparagus. Plus 2 squares dark chocolate.

Post-dinner snack:
    Smoothie with frozen raspberries and cranberries, vanilla protein powder, 1/2 c plain low fat yogurt, 1 tbsp flax seeds, water. (I know this is probably not the best night time snack because of all the carbs from the fruit, but it's a big improvement from what I have been eating for a night time snack!)
    Badgercurls, I'm so glad the juice did the trick!

I think your days diet looks fantastic! Absolutely nothing wrong with the fruit smoothie at night. I have a blender for smoothies that doesn't work so I am looking to buy a new one. Any recs?

I don't remember seeing that omega-3 trail mix. I'll check for it tomorrow!
    Thanks Cherish! I'm drinking my smoothie right now - it's delicious but I should have ground the flax seeds first, because they stayed whole. Oops.

I have a smoothie maker that I use at home, but it's annoying because it doesn't make small batches very well and it's a pain to clean. At work (an in-home caregiving job), we have a Braun immersible blender that I LOVE to use making smoothies. It's great for single servings and the clean up is really easy. I really need to get one for home!

The Omega-3 trek mix is really good. It has walnuts, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, and blueberries. It may have some other fruit/nuts, too, but those are the ones that stand out.
    BC, You know, Trader Joe's carries a brand of ground flaxmeal. I used to buy it all the time.

I am going to read the reviews for that blender. I like that it's not bulky since I have 2 worthless ones taking up space right now! Thanks!
  • sariroosariroo Posts: 1,958Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Sorry to horn in on your thread but after a serious weight gain over the holidays I'm looking for motivation to help me stick to my weight loss goals. I would love to take up weight training as cardio alone is not going to help me meet my goals.

I also wanted to say that I have a higher model of that immersion blender that badgercurls posted and it is wonderful. I can make a smoothie in a cup or a whole pitcherful if needed. There are various attachments that are really useful if you cook a lot.

Again, thanks for posting your plans and progress. It really helps yourself and others.
    316vq4y.jpg
    Sariroo, thanks for weighing in on the immersion blender. I think I'm getting it! I saw a link on the page to a yogurt maker so I'm researching that as well right now. I'd love to make my own organic vanilla yogurt.

I agree, I love BC's journal... motivation is something I'm low on... at least until I actually make it to my gym and see all the genetically gifted specimens that have converged there out of nowhere :dontknow: :lol:
    The more the merrier! :D

So today I did the first workout from my new book. OMG. It kicked my butt - but I know that if I keep at it, someday I'll be kicking it's butt! I'm just happy I got through almost all of it! I couldn't do the one move (jackknife with Swiss ball) it suggested. My boyfriend could barely do it, though, and he has great core strength. So instead I subbed in some reverse crunches with the ball. I *will* be able to do the jackknife someday, though.
    Checking in...
    I was so afraid that I was going to be in a lot of pain tonight. Instead, I'm moderately sore and my muscles feel tight, but it doesn't hurt. I'm sure getting out of bed will be hard tomorrow, though! I'm almost looking forward to it. I also noticed that because my back and stomach muscles are pretty tight from the lifting, my posture has been great all night.

Mentally, I am feeling awesome because I made it through the workout with heavier weights than I had been using. I am getting less scared of the giant (to me) weights. To paraphrase the author of the book I'm using, I'm not afraid to pick up my toddler nephew or a big bag of groceries, so why should I be afraid of the same amount of weight in dumbbell or barbell form? My boyfriend also pointed out that I regularly lift and support a 115 pound elderly woman at my caregiving job. And the big metal weights are a lot less fragile and unpredictable than my nephew or my 90-year-old client. If I drop them, they'll be fine, and they're not going to try suddenly grab my hair and pull like my nephew does or suddenly go limp like my client does!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Badgercurls,
    Yeah for you on realistic cals and goals!! 1200 cals a day? Maybe between breakfast and lunch. :)

Speckla
    Speckla wrote: »
    Badgercurls,
    Yeah for you on realistic cals and goals!! 1200 cals a day? Maybe between breakfast and lunch. :)

Speckla

Hehe, exactly!

Although right now I'm sick with a nasty sinus/chest congestion bug that's also upsetting my stomach, I've given up on my eating/weight training/cardio plan for this week because it takes all my effort just to get out of bed and I have no appetite (so weird for me). I'm SO itching to get back into the swing of things, though!

BTW, before I got sick, I was down about 3 pounds overall and my whole body is looking a little slimmer. :blob7: I'm a little afraid to weigh myself right now, though... since I've mostly been eating soup and crackers, I have a feeling I've dropped some weight, but I know it will all come back once I start eating like a real person again!
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi! I'm using The New Rules of Lifting for Women too. I really like it. I don't have a barbell at home or a cable machine, so I'm using all dumbbells (12, 15, and 20 lbs). And I agree, that Swiss ball jackknife is challenging! I can't quite get up on my toes, but I'm working towards it. And I need to do the pushups on my knees. Someday I'll be able to do "real" ones!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Cool! I really like the book. I started over beginning on Thursday because I was sick for two weeks. But I'm working my way back up...woohoo. I'm not as sore today as I was the last time I lifted - I see that as progress! I've been using dumbbells instead of a bar, too, because the bar is way too heavy for me.
    Bumping...
    I've been slacking off on posting here, but not on working out. :) Since I recovered from the flu, I've been lifting twice a week and jumping on my mini-trampoline!:blob7: about twice a week. I stopped tracking calories because it was getting to be too much of a hassle and just started tracking protein intake instead (because if left to my own devices I will eat NO protein).

Anyway, despite having to take two weeks off because of the flu, in one month (January 4-February 4), I have lost between one half to one inch off my waist, hips, butt, thighs and under-chest measurements. I also added a half inch to my biceps and an inch and a half to my calves (holy cow - that's totally genetics). I also added an inch to my chest - maybe from doing upper-body work?

I'm also feeling much more confident all around. It feels so good to be doing something that's working. I've had a hard time with stubborn weight gain from taking Lexapro for anxiety and just doing cardio really wasn't working. It's also really empowering to see the considerable increases in how much I can lift from when I started. :)
  • Rebecca deWinterRebecca deWinter Posts: 2,254Registered Users
    this is a great thread! i'm always curious as to what others do to stay in shape because honestly, i am kind of a fool when it comes to diet, etc!
    *~*displaced yooper*~*
    :hockey: \m/ \m/
    3069786076_f03f452f63.jpg?v=0
    master quigley and queen ruby, my puppy loves <3
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Good for you, badgercurls! Are you still using the NROLFW program? I just got my husband the book for men. I think he appreciated it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

2poodles wrote: »
    Good for you, badgercurls! Are you still using the NROLFW program? I just got my husband the book for men. I think he appreciated it!

Thanks! :) I am still using it. I really like it! It's challenging but empowering to keep increasing the weight I lift. I've also been posting on a forum for women doing NROLFW here: http://forums.jpfitness.com/new-rules-lifting-women/

It's really supportive and they're great at answering questions. The nutritionist who co-authored the book (Cassandra Forsythe) is a regular poster, too.

Are you still doing NROLFW? Are you enjoying it? Don't tell your husband, but I've heard that NROLFW is actually *harder* than NROL!
  • TwoMoonsTwoMoons Posts: 754Registered Users
    I seriously need to keep track on what I eat. I don't need to lose weight or anything but I feel great when I am eating healthy and in good shape. I admire you and thanx for the great idea!
    :coffee::bunny::cat::headbang:OTAKU 4 LIFE!!!!

"Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.”

I <3 Cats!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file