Seeing is Believing but it isn't TRUTH - Its all in the mind

Tanta65Tanta65 Posts: 112Registered Users
I just thought i would've written a blog on the "so-cal" natural products.

People claim that all natural products are a miracle on their hair, but what makes you so sure that they are actually natural?....It could still be a load of chemicals you put in you hair and the manufacturers just place shea butter (from africa) , castor oil, olive oil etc on the ingrdients list, you never know right?

Ganier fructis soft curl cream, works great for some but they don't use it cuz its loaded with chemicals and silicones and parabens, what if they were to put murumur butter, shea butter, rosemary extract etc on that ingredients list, and slap infront organic all natural, would it have been the "sheamoisture", "blendedbeauty" great miracle product?

For all we know sheamoisture, blended beauty , qhemet biologics, myhoneychild could all be putting other stuff in there, but that doesn't matter....no.....what does matter is that we see organic or all natural sign and maybe when we look behind we see these ingredients that appeal too us and make us want to drool.

Its all in the mind!

xoxo
Tanta

Comments

• brown_bunnybrown_bunny Posts: 51Registered Users
    Preach on sistah!! lol
    My hair is stubborn, resilient, and not willing to conform to society's standards..
    Just like me
  • brown_bunnybrown_bunny Posts: 51Registered Users
    Really though, I think you're right..
    My hair is stubborn, resilient, and not willing to conform to society's standards..
    Just like me
  • preciousjewel76preciousjewel76 Posts: 679Registered Users Curl Novice
    You make a good point; I don't necessarily think all "natural" or "organic" products are automatically better than so-called "unnatural" products. And in this day and age, it's hard to be 100% certain what ingredients are in those products. But, I think a lot of ladies here prefer the "natural" products because the ingredients just seem to work better for their hair types. Many (but not all, of course) of the natural products are also have CG-friendly ingredients (free of sulfates and silicones).

Personally, I'm not too militant about using natural/organic products. They don't work for everybody and they won't make your hair magically do things that something containing a cone wouldn't do. However, I know that my hair doesn't like certain ingredients (like silicones), and I avoid those ingredients in ANY product - whether its from Mother Nature or the local drugstore.
    4A - dense, medium strands - APL/BSL - 3+ years natural!

:love7:YAY!: GF Triple Nutrition Conditioner, YTCu Color Care Conditioner, Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque, LOTD AV Gel, EVCO, JCN&S, KCCC, buns and updos!
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    Tanta65 wrote: »
    what makes you so sure that they are actually natural?....It could still be a load of chemicals you put in you hair and the manufacturers just place shea butter (from africa) , castor oil, olive oil etc on the ingrdients list, you never know right?

the truth is, no one can be 100% sure that any product is all that the manufacturer says that it is. even the food we eat (to those who rely on vegetarian and vegan labels). but we trust the propaganda because most reputable companies know that consumer trust is nothing to be reckoned with. dupe a trusting consumer once and you've lost their trust and their money forever. so it's not wise to play on an audience's desire for wholesome, organic, chemical-free products when you know that 80% of your product is synthetic chemicals. we all render a level of trust in what's on the labels that we read.

however, that doesn't mean that we should buy into any product that has a green or brown label, 'organic' written in bold letters, and natural-sounding ingredients. we still need to research the sources of these ingredients to our satisfaction before deciding to purchase.

and to the rest, just pray that what you can't control and can't see, and what you are buying is what they are claiming you are getting.

and for the record, i'm allergic to cocoa butter and coconut oil. they give me instant dermatitis (severe itching and hives). aloe vera gel (the authentic viscous kind, not the fake hair gel kind) breaks me out. and every natural deodorant that contains salt minerals has cause discoloration and tenderness to my arm pits. so how's that for natural always being better than synthetic?

but i do recognize the importance of using the most wholesome things on and in my body. i just recognize when certain natural things don't work for me. then i'll opt for the least-toxic commercial alternatives.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,151Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Tanta65 wrote: »
    I just thought i would've written a blog on the "so-cal" natural products.

People claim that all natural products are a miracle on their hair, but what makes you so sure that they are actually natural?....It could still be a load of chemicals you put in you hair and the manufacturers just place shea butter (from africa) , castor oil, olive oil etc on the ingrdients list, you never know right?

Ganier fructis soft curl cream, works great for some but they don't use it cuz its loaded with chemicals and silicones and parabens, what if they were to put murumur butter, shea butter, rosemary extract etc on that ingredients list, and slap infront organic all natural, would it have been the "sheamoisture", "blendedbeauty" great miracle product?

For all we know sheamoisture, blended beauty , qhemet biologics, myhoneychild could all be putting other stuff in there, but that doesn't matter....no.....what does matter is that we see organic or all natural sign and maybe when we look behind we see these ingredients that appeal too us and make us want to drool.

Its all in the mind!

xoxo
    Tanta

You make some good points, but also worth noting is the FDA requires that companies post their actual ingredients (unless proprietary in nature, and there's a process you must go through for that), though they don't regulate the claims made by the manufacturers. This goes for small and large companies. Also, products that claim to be organic have to be certified organic by regulating agencies. And to be certified, you have to have a certain percentage. I believe to be able to say the product is organic, it has to be composed of 95% raw organic materials and ingredients, and to say the product has organic ingredients, it has to have 70% raw organically produced ingredients. So, a company can very well have ingredients that are "organic" in nature, but because the concentration is small, they can't say the product IS "organic". Many of them can't even say they have organic ingredients because most likely, the product is more than 30% water anyway. Regardless, you just never know regardless of how reputable the company is. All you can do is trust that what you're being fed is the truth. I think knowledge is key with this.

Smaller and newer natural companies I tend to be a bit weary of because many don't always post their ingredients, and you really don't know if you're getting what you paid for. The only way for sure is to have the product analyzed, but who really is going to go through all of that? LOL!

I don't necessarily go by the product being "natural" or "organic" when seeking good hair products, but there are products with particular ingredients that are in ALOT of my stables that I attribute making my hair look and feel nice. But of course, it could all be in my mind, but I know how my hair looked prior to changing products, and what it looks like now. I know the condition my hair was in, and the condition it is in now, and I know that me switching to products with more "wholesome" ingredients works for me. But I have not problems using commercially manufactured products....I have quite a few in my product graveyard that don't necessarily have "organic" ingredients. The only thing that matters is that the products help me to maintain my hair health. Definitely not looking for the miracle product that so many women are searching for.

This is a great topic, Tanta!!!
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
  • jcurladyjcurlady Posts: 626Registered Users Curl Novice

I can make two points for natural products. Most of what I put in and on my body is either natural or organic. I've tried it the other way and it didn't work for me health wise. My husband used to make fun of how much I spent at the natural food store until he realized that he hasn't been sick since we met. I hate that the food and products are so much more expensive, but I'd rather pay now at the grocery store than later and the hospital and pharmacy.
    My other point is that most people here know their hair. You know what works for your hair. I read where people have build up from certain products that i don't hear about w/ natural products. I certainly am experiencing the difference, but that's just me. I'm certainly not saying that everybody should live my way or think my way. You have to do what's best for you and your situation.
    if luvin KCKT and KCCC is wrong I don't wanna b right

sell crazy somewhere else...we're all stocked up here.
  • Tanta65Tanta65 Posts: 112Registered Users
    hey my girl eccentric, FDA has to approve but it doesn't necessarily mean they approve it, if you read the private policy for some products you'd see they have not FDA tested or approved, in the fine prints you know when we see it we don't read it cuz its too much writing lol.
  • jcurladyjcurlady Posts: 626Registered Users Curl Novice
    I don't make enough money to be eccentric, but I don't worry about what the FDA says. The FDA approves preservatives, pesticides, hormones and loads of other crap in our food. I read labels and know what's going in and on my body. I like simple stuff like real butter, olive oil, and things that don't have anything added or taken away from it. I also have a friend that's really eccentric and he does the research into different companies. So, I do buy a lot of brand specific items.
    So, I'm not eccentric but I am a little obsessed and maybe even weird.
    if luvin KCKT and KCCC is wrong I don't wanna b right

sell crazy somewhere else...we're all stocked up here.
    jcurlady wrote: »
    I don't make enough money to be eccentric, but I don't worry about what the FDA says. The FDA approves preservatives, pesticides, hormones and loads of other crap in our food. I read labels and know what's going in and on my body. I like simple stuff like real butter, olive oil, and things that don't have anything added or taken away from it. I also have a friend that's really eccentric and he does the research into different companies. So, I do buy a lot of brand specific items.
    So, I'm not eccentric but I am a little obsessed and maybe even weird.

jcurlady what are you talking about, i was talking to eccentric_kurlz, that is her screen name isn't it?.......why would i call you eccentric?, i didn't even read your post by the way....

p.s i'm not a name caller, not in my reality nor in ciber space especially if someone is making their own point of view which i value and is the reason why i blog.
  • HeatherNicoleHeatherNicole Posts: 1,316Registered Users
    I honestly try to do what's good for my body and what works for me. It does make me more comfortable when I see something has more natural or organic ingredients, but that doesn't necessarily make it better. I would like to start living a more organic natural lifestyle simply because I do believe it helps keep away sickness like someone else mentioned. However, when it comes to hair, as long as they don't have mineral oil, petrolatum, etc in them, I'm typically okay.

If you don't mind me asking, what made you decide to write such a post? There was a post like this over at nappturality a while ago.
    Thick coarse 3c/4a prone to dryness.
    Staples
    Aphogee 2 Step treatment
    Generic Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Tigi MM Conditioner
    Creme of Nature Shampoo for dry hair
    KCCC
    Denman D3
    Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    SheaMoisture Leave-in
    http://public.fotki.com/MsHeatherNicole/

"Make it work!"- Tim Gunn
  • mslanee1mslanee1 Posts: 439Registered Users
    AMEN! ( eccentric_kurlz and HeatherNicole) to what Who cares if it says organic or not. It is about what works best, its really about the proof being in the pudding. PERIOD. Many of us have noticed using certain things on our hair produce better results than others. But even this is not everyone, many people have no issues with silicones or mineral oil, or whatever other products they use.

I do understand that in our society we can get caught up on the "organic thing". But speaking for myself and others I am sure, we are going for hair health, so it does not mattter if it is 2.99 out the gorcery store or 25.00 off of a website, if it says organic or vegan or nothing at all. If we read the ingredients and like what we see, we are going to use it.
    CURRENT PRODUCTS: Oyin Honey Hemp, Honey Wash, Burnt Sugar Pomade, Shine and Define, and Whipped Pudding. Also loving HH Hello Hydration and HENNA!

• mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't usually buy into the whole "natural" stuff only because if I read the ingredients and it has items I can't pronounce then it can't be natural :laughing7:

If you decide to use aloe vera gel and I decide to buy a smelly slimey aloe vera plant and slob it on my head, its a personal choice. And yes I've done that and yes it smells like butt. :thumbdown: :laughing7:
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

If you don't mind me asking, what made you decide to write such a post? There was a post like this over at nappturality a while ago.
    i've just been thinking about this for quite some time, plus i'm a Buddhist, cuz i mean unless you're sitting in the kitchen or where they manufacture the products you don't really know what its "really" made of, what you do is you put ur trust in it , and in order to put your trust you have to be mindful of something which is why i stated it is all in the mind, its like lets say you buy castor oil and you vow that it will moisturize you hair and make it long and thick when you put it in your scalp, what i'm trying to say is your mind tell you yes that will happen and it will happen, i mean..... i know its happened to me countless numbers of times, even in the negative way, i'd have a negative attitude towards something ok yeh a hair product lol and tell myself this ain't working and it won't work,.....this is just my analysis and way of looking at life.

"and no this is not the secret talking i've never even seen it no further than Oprah and thats the first i ever saw it too"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file