How does your hair look when wet?

Is it bumpy near the crown, flat-looking, or just plain strange? Or is it normal looking? Mine looks really bad when it's wet, so I was wondering if anyone else had this problem? It looks terrific when dry, just when it's wet, it makes me cringe and want to comb it out (which I did today, resulting in poofy hair, so I just wet it now and am staring at my very weird hair in the mirror, hoping that curlies around the world share my pain).

Comments

• FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I clip my hair so, mine looks ridiculous when wet :wink:

The crown of my head is bumpy. I pinch the hair up and clip it, so that it isn't flat when it is completely dry.

Be patient and don't comb out your hair, especially if it looks great when it dries !!!

If you're having a hard time waiting, maybe you should try diffusing ? It'll help it dry quicker.
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
  • Just KimmieJust Kimmie Posts: 116Registered Users
    Mine's straight. When it's soaking wet, you would never know I was a curly...that's why I am sure I am a 3A at most.
    Hair Type: 2B/3A hybrid, I believe. Had it short for about 5 years, and have since let it grow. Layers have brought out the curl...and I haven't gone 'straight' since!

http://public.fotki.com/Kimmie7448/curls-rule/
    Mine's straight. When it's soaking wet, you would never know I was a curly...that's why I am sure I am a 3A at most.

Your hair is really pretty Kimmie ... I can't believe it looks straight when wet. :)
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
  • CurlyBrunetteGirlCurlyBrunetteGirl Posts: 83Registered Users
    FrizzBgone wrote: »
    The crown of my head is bumpy. I pinch the hair up and clip it, so that it isn't flat when it is completely dry.

I am an idiot. There is no other way to describe it. I'm an idiot who combed out her hair. My hair is very fluffy with barely any curls. I guess I'll have to deal with fluffy hair until tomorrow.

How does that clip thing work? Do you get any frizz?

Your hair is really pretty Kimmie ... I can't believe it looks straight when wet. :)

Oh, thanks very much. Yep, totally straight when soaking wet, no bumps or anything.
    Hair Type: 2B/3A hybrid, I believe. Had it short for about 5 years, and have since let it grow. Layers have brought out the curl...and I haven't gone 'straight' since!

• DolphinCurlsDolphinCurls Posts: 370Registered Users
    My hair is also flat at the top when wet, but it does fall into perfect waves and ringlets after that. Personally, my hair looks better wet than dry.
    3A/2C combination of ringlets and waves :nike:

I am an idiot. There is no other way to describe it. I'm an idiot who combed out her hair. My hair is very fluffy with barely any curls. I guess I'll have to deal with fluffy hair until tomorrow.

How does that clip thing work? Do you get any frizz?

I clip a little differently than the Deva method most of the curlies seem to use. I was never able to master that method. My stylist showed me how to clip the way I do it. It has worked well, so I've stuck with it.

You will get frizz if you're not careful taking the clips out. If they catch and you pull, you'll end up with a frizzy strand. I use the metal duckbill clips. I've ordered the plastic Deva clips, but haven't received them yet.

I do a zig zag part, so at each 'zig and zag' (I can't think of a better way to describe this :wink:) there is a clump of hair that is higher. I use this as my guide. I pinch the hair and then clip it. It sort of looks like a small loop coming up from my head. I don't do it that it sticks up really high, just slightly. I also start at the back and work my way to the front ... again opposite to what they recommend. I found this way made it easier for me to ensure that the clip didn't have any hair stuck in the clamp part ... if there is, you'll end up pulling it when you take it out.

I find it easier to do it this way. On the sides of my hair, I'll gently pull my hair up and clip underneath. It helps give the sides of my hair body.

I put the clips in after I've diffused my hair until it is about 50 - 60% dry. I add the clips in then. I continue to diffuse until it is about 75 to 80% dry ... I diffuse less if I have more time to air dry.

It is best to leave the clips in until until your hair is completely dry. When I have to work, I often have to take them out before my hair is bone dry. The way I take them out is to push my finger on the end of the clip (away from the clamp). It pushes the clamp up and then I open the clip and remove it.

The way my stylist described it was basically making loops. She said that you can do it all over your head if you want to. When you're doing it though, just pinch your hair gently - careful not to mess up the clumping/curl pattern.

It works well for me. If my hair is still damp by the crown, I'll often use bobby pins to pin some volume in my hair. The key to this is getting good bobby pins. Goody brand has two kinds ... the ones I use are a couple of dollars more expensive, but it is well worth it. They don't snag on your hair.

I HTH ... and doesn't sound like a rambling babble :)
  • jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You know, FrizzBgone, you might laugh at this, but it would be very cool if you would make a little video of your clipping routine! I'm trying to picture how you work the clips and I'm having trouble. But I am very intrigued because although I'm mostly happy with the way I clip, there are days when it looks like crap after it dries. If you can even post pictures, that would be great!
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • curlycaramelcurlycaramel Posts: 472Registered Users
    my hair looks horrible when wet, even worse when it starts to dry and is damp it looks all stringy and very loosely waved, with bumps near the crown and it looks tangled ( it isn't, but I'm sure it has to do with the fact I wash, style everything upside down)

But as it dries, it swells and shrinks up and the tangled look goes away.
    I try to stay away from mirrors when it's damp cause it looks like a bad hair day and I want to fix it, but when it dries it looks fine.
    Long thick curls, mix of 3b/3c
  • LadydncingLadydncing Posts: 964Registered Users
    My hair looks ok. I just hate the crown. It looks awfully flat. I've tried the clips, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
    I sometimes just style, let it dry, bend head over and fluff. Hair looks so much better dry! HTH
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl
    Password: Locks

event.png
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    It looks good. Long, even and wavy. That is, after I've detangled and such.
    3b-3c CG
    jillipoo wrote: »
    You know, FrizzBgone, you might laugh at this, but it would be very cool if you would make a little video of your clipping routine! I'm trying to picture how you work the clips and I'm having trouble. But I am very intrigued because although I'm mostly happy with the way I clip, there are days when it looks like crap after it dries. If you can even post pictures, that would be great!

I'm sorry ... I would if I could ... my digitial camera broke over the holidays and we've haven't this century yet ... we don't have a dvd camcorder :cry:

Not very helpful am I ??
  • EireEire Posts: 72Registered Users
    Mine looks horribly stringy while it's wet. It's flat, and snarly looking. Took me the longest time to figure out that it would dry ok even when it looked that bad wet. I used to play with it, trying to rearrange and clump the curls together. Of course this resulted in a fuzzed out mess after it dried. :disgust: Thank goodness for the gal that posted before and after scrunching photos a while back. I don't remember who she was, but it's largely due to her that I am getting better hair days.
    3A- Current products: EMBS, B2B Pom, Pink Boots
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

So is mine. After products and some scrunching the curls come out but my top I have to work on because it would be flat if I let it.

If I clip at all on the top I use the small jaw clips but sometimes they get caught and I end up with frizz where the darn clip got caught - I HATE THAT!
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    xcptnl wrote: »

So is mine. After products and some scrunching the curls come out but my top I have to work on because it would be flat if I let it.

If I clip at all on the top I use the small jaw clips but sometimes they get caught and I end up with frizz where the darn clip got caught - I HATE THAT!

I hear ya, sister. The top layers for me are the WORST at behaving properly...they need the most attention and very easily flatten. Often my hair looks better when my head's flipped upside-down. Tee hee!!!

• mysteryflavoredmysteryflavored Posts: 1,271Registered Users Curl Novice
    My hair looks frizzy and stringy while wet. There's much less curl, too, so I always have to remind myself that I didn't pull my curl out for some reason. When it's dry and scrunched out, it bounces back up and the frizz blends in and just looks natural.

I do not, however, suffer from a flat crown. There's a high clearance between the top of my hair and my scalp. :laughing9:
  • tooj68tooj68 Posts: 471Registered Users
    My hair looks nice when it's wet--better than when it's dry!

I do get the flat top thing, though.:laughing7:
    3B, with oodles and oodles of curly hair! :toothy7:
    Summer Faves: Devacare NoPoo & OneC, CF High Humidity Gel.
    2nd day hair: Deva Set Me Up pomade & Mr. Right
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair
    Been CG since 2005 and never looked back!
  • allie95allie95 Posts: 74Registered Users
    Eire wrote: »
    Mine looks horribly stringy while it's wet. It's flat, and snarly looking. Took me the longest time to figure out that it would dry ok even when it looked that bad wet. I used to play with it, trying to rearrange and clump the curls together. Of course this resulted in a fuzzed out mess after it dried. :disgust: Thank goodness for the gal that posted before and after scrunching photos a while back. I don't remember who she was, but it's largely due to her that I am getting better hair days.

I would love to see these photos! When I stand up after scrunching in products upside down or from de-plopping, I get the most horrible snarls and bumps. Chunks of the bottom layer get tangled/stuck to the middle layer, chunks of the top layer in the back stick to the middle, etc. So you are saying to just let it dry or to diffuse the way that it is?
    2c who can't seem to find enough moisture! Trying to figure this out once and for all 7 years after going CG!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file