To relax or not to relax....that is the question...

Ela234Ela234 Posts: 139Registered Users
have 4A/4B hair and I've been natural for three years now....I generally twist or braid my hair, and occasionally I straighten it. But I'm tired of going through hail and high water to get it straight, and back again to keep it straight! I want to straighten my hair more often (to show off the length- it's between my shoulder blades) with out all the hassle....So I'm considering a relaxer....but I know that it will be more up keep than staying natural. What shoud I do?
"Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing,
But a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised."
Proverbs 31:30

Comments

• ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    i don't think we can answer that question for you.

you have to decide if you want to have the upkeep of relaxing. why is it important for you to show the length of your hair?
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • Ela234Ela234 Posts: 139Registered Users
    it's really not that important...(showing length)- well.. it shouldn't be that important. but there aren't many people that know how long my hair really is because it's always twisted or in a fro. plus, it's kind of fun to be able to flip it over my shoulder every now and then and it's easier to see how much it has grown in a certain amount of time

the length is sort of a vanity issue...to be completely honest :/
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    well, since the length is a vanity issue, why not just straighten periodically?

if you start relaxing again, will you end up loosing your length?
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • misschrystamisschrysta Posts: 22Registered Users
    nooooo i don't think you should relax it!!!! lol. i know how you feel and everything about the whole length thing but i am so against relaxing and you've been natural for so long don't do it!!! of course you don't have to listen to me lol but this is just my opinion. i think you should just straighten it a lot more give it a good wash deep conditioning on the weekend and use the heat protectant stuff of course and straighten it then straighten it every day in the morning to upkeep the straight until you think you should straighten again. you probably already do this and you are tired of it but just don't do relax noooooooooooooooo! lol:thumbdown:
    natural 3c/4a hair. last relaxer was in sept. 06. real transition started june 07. minimal flat ironing/heat. BC- dec. 1 07!!! =) no routine just experimenting with different products & daily cowash.
    http://public.fotki.com/misscmv/ :toothy7: LOVE BEING CURLY BABY!!
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    OK what were the reasons for you to go natural in the first place? I would write down the pros and cons. To me relaxed hair isn't easier than natural hair, its just more expensive. Its a personal choice, but once you put that chemical in your hair I would hate for you to regret it only to have to transition all over again. :cry: That would really suck.

I'm natural and I go from curly to straight back to curly whenever I feel like it. Like I said, its a personal choice.

Try finding a salon in the area that can blow dry your hair straight and see how you feel. Maybe you're bored and just need a new haircut to change things up.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• Tanta65Tanta65 Posts: 112Registered Users
    Ela234 wrote: »
    have 4A/4B hair and I've been natural for three years now....I generally twist or braid my hair, and occasionally I straighten it. But I'm tired of going through hail and high water to get it straight, and back again to keep it straight! I want to straighten my hair more often (to show off the length- it's between my shoulder blades) with out all the hassle....So I'm considering a relaxer....but I know that it will be more up keep than staying natural. What shoud I do?

u might want that curly hair back, texturize if u need an option, basically do whatever you wanna do, u alone know the stress
  • Ela234Ela234 Posts: 139Registered Users
    thanks for the advice! i'm glad i talked it out with you guys :D (my fellow curlies) the pros for going natural definately out weighed the cons....so no relaxer for me this year! but i will be looking into other options for getting it straight
  • dsg-girlycurlydsg-girlycurly Posts: 343Registered Users
    Ela234 wrote: »
    thanks for the advice! i'm glad i talked it out with you guys :D (my fellow curlies) the pros for going natural definately out weighed the cons....so no relaxer for me this year! but i will be looking into other options for getting it straight

Well alright then!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4A&B -- Henna and the entire Essential Balms product line; lately Carol's Daughter honey mimosa & black vanilla leave-in. Staple products are SheaMoisture, Aubrey Organics and Trader Joes Norish Spa conditioner, ACV and IC Fantasia Gel. I'm also Mixtress (I love making my own hair concoctions :glasses9:)

Be encouraged -- Cuzz Fuzz is what it Duzz!!

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/dsg373839/
  • curlee4lifecurlee4life Posts: 219Registered Users
    nooooo i don't think you should relax it!!!! lol. i know how you feel and everything about the whole length thing but i am so against relaxing and you've been natural for so long don't do it!!! of course you don't have to listen to me lol but this is just my opinion. i think you should just straighten it a lot more give it a good wash deep conditioning on the weekend and use the heat protectant stuff of course and straighten it then straighten it every day in the morning to upkeep the straight until you think you should straighten again. you probably already do this and you are tired of it but just don't do relax noooooooooooooooo! lol:thumbdown:

I was just looking at your album. Congrats on the BC and it looks beautiful. BTW: Used to live in Northboro (not far from Worcester) and Attleboro,MA,

:)

event.png

Germany Curly

Last Relaxer(Texturizer): Aug. 2005
    BC: May 2006

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file