Relaxer for the New Year?

Ela234Ela234 Posts: 139Registered Users
I have 4A/4B hair and I've been natural for three years now....I generally twist or braid my hair, and occasionally I straighten it. But I'm tired of going through hail and high water to get it straight, and back again to keep it straight! I want to straighten my hair more often with out all the hassle....So I'm considering a relaxer....but I know that it will be more up keep than staying natural. What shoud I do?
"Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing,
But a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised."
Proverbs 31:30

Comments

• motherearthamothereartha Posts: 355Registered Users
    maybe try rollersetting and light flat ironing. mariag002 has a good tutorial on it in her fotki. she's in the 4a/3c threads.
    thick, kinky, nappy, hair w/ dashes of curls
    pw: bearhair
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hello! Yes I normally rollerset once a week and it lasts me at least 7 days, maybe more but I like to wash my hair once a week.

I do have a tutorial on my page, its not the best but hopefully it'll give you an idea on how to do it.

What I like is that it keeps my hair manageable and I'm able to brush it, but its not bone straight. I hate straight hair, its so boring to me. My hair is cut in layers so its easier for me to style.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• CherishCherish Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    It's normal to consider a relaxer when in a styling rut, but there's a reason, probably a good one, that you went natural in the first place. Keep that at the forefront of your mind while investigating styling alternatives.

I know there was a time when people were banding their hair to show length. I don't know if this is still a popular practice, but you could do a search in fotki.
  • Ela234Ela234 Posts: 139Registered Users
    maria! i checked out your rollersetting guide- i'm going to try that, and soon- i'll post the results! thanks for the advice guys :)
    "Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing,
    But a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised."
    Proverbs 31:30
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh good! I'm going to re-do that tutorial (maybe as a video) and use my daughter or stepdaughter as the guinea pig LOL

I was going to say that relaxing my hair won't make my hair easier to manage BUT I did have relaxed hair down to a science. I had no unpredictable hair and I knew exactly what products to use. As a curly I have no clue and I feel like I'm a 12 yr old kid again trying to figure out my hair. I'm glad you're not going to relax your hair. Take the $60 you were going to spend and buy yourself some new shoes LOL :wink:
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file