Scab hair!!!!!!!!!!!

anonymous_1037anonymous_1037 Posts: 213Registered Users
Eww i hate, it is making my journey to natural really hard. Is there anyway to fix it, also what can i do to stop having scab hair?

Comments

• luvmylocsluvmylocs Curl Neophyte Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    hey there, have you searched the word "scab" to see what's already been said about thaton this board?
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • LadyJAHLadyJAH Posts: 81Registered Users
    I found this information on another website. I take no credit for any information contained herein:

Some people who have relaxed for a long time notice that the first transitional new growth comes in a brillo-y,hard texture that is a result of residual follicle damage from the years of relaxing. It's called "scab hair," and can persist for a few inches. Eventually, the follicle heals and your virgin hair comes in its true texture.

It won't disappear suddenly, instead you'll notice the hard, rough, dry areas getting smaller and smaller. The ultra soft, supple texture that replaces it will suprise you. It's important to heal the scarred follicles first. The first few inches of hair that grows out after the perm is usually very coarse and dry due to the fact that the scalp is healing from some of the damage that the relaxers did.

When you think about it it make perfect sense too. That scab hair is the hair we would feel six weeks after a touch up and say "I need a perm now!" It is really rough and brittle and kept us chained to the chemical fire cream industry. It why so many women think they would like to stop perming, but don't think they can stop because they believe their hair is "too nappy."

That term came from the book Let's Talk Hair, by Pamela Ferrell. She discusses "scab hair" on page 68.

She says this:

I have found many women become depressed or apprehensive by the idea of growing the chemical out of their hair. Women have complained that the new hair growth feels coarse and hard. This is usually an unfair analysis of natural hair that is compared to the straightened ends. I classify the first stage as the scab stage.

Hair that has been chemically processed for many years will grow out curlier and in some instances feel dry because of the long-time use of the caustic lye (chemical fire cream) that has stripped the hair follicle of its natural oils and nutrients. Your hair goes through a healing process similar to a wound on the skin, which becomes supple again after the scab falls off. As the new hair growth lengthens, the follicle and scalp have a chance to be rejuvenated, heal and eventually replenish the natural sebum to the hair. The new hair will then begin to feel soft and pleasing. And of course, changing to hair care products that are formulated for curly hair will make a difference in how the hair looks and feels.
  • juicedabouthairjuicedabouthair Posts: 111Registered Users
    I think that I might have had scab hair after my initial BC. My hair felt very dry, coarse and nasty at the ends only. Based on some advice from this board I went back after 4 or 5 weeks for another trim - I was relunctant because I so wanted to hold on to my "length" (what little there was). But the trim "cured" my scabby hair. Now my hair is consistent from root to tip.
    juicedabouthair
    mostly 4a??

http://public.fotki.com/juicedabouthair/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/juicedabouthair

Products currently in rotation:
    • Curls by Sister Smith with added oils
    • SheaMoisture Leave-in
    • Herbal Essence Hello Hydration
  • keepitmovin2.0keepitmovin2.0 Posts: 653Registered Users
    The first 3 inches after my BC in 3 sections of my head were scab hair. The texture was noticably different thereafter. It took me a while to let it go, but once I did, my hair responded a thousand times better to my products and technique.
    Currently using:

Poo: CON Sulfate Free poo
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave-in: CJAOO Daily Cond
    Styler: KCCC sparingly and Ampro Olive Oil Gel where needed
    DT: KBB Lucious Locks Mask + EVOO/Avocado

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file