Who watched your older kids?

spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,750Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
For those of you who have more than one child, who watched your older child(ren) when you were in the hospital (or wherever) delivering the younger child(ren)? What were the logistics of the getting the kids there? Or did the caretaker come to your house? How long did the caretaker have to watch your child(ren)? Did you do anything special to thank the caretaker? Did you get the impression the caretaker was seriously inconvenienced by the situation? How many children and what ages?

Comments

• PhDCowPhDCow Posts: 1,621Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    We have an amazing babysitter who lives about 10 minutes from our house. She's been watching Emma since she was 2 months old, so Emma spent the night with her family when Colin was born. Our babysitter's in her 50s and treats the demons like her own grandchildren. She watched Emma while I was on bedrest during my pregnancy with Colin and she watched Emma everyday for the 6 weeks PP I took off from work.
    God doesn't give special kids to special parents. He takes ordinary, imperfect people, and gifts them with his greatest treasures. And therein, he creates special parents.

• rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    For those of you who have more than one child, who watched your older child(ren) when you were in the hospital (or wherever) delivering the younger child(ren)? What were the logistics of the getting the kids there? Or did the caretaker come to your house? How long did the caretaker have to watch your child(ren)? Did you do anything special to thank the caretaker? Did you get the impression the caretaker was seriously inconvenienced by the situation? How many children and what ages?

it was our plan that my mother would keep our son (3) while i labored and that they would both come to the hospital to meet our new baby.

our son was with me at my first-to-last prenatal visit so that he could hear the baby's heartbeat. little did i know that i was already almost 6 cm dilated. i'd been running around all day running errands and getting paperwork dropped off to prepare our son for preschool during my maternity break. i assured my doctor that i was not in any discomfort (i wasn't.). so i went on to finish my errands with my son then went straight home. i called my husband and told him that it had started and that we'd probably be at the hospital at some point that night. he only had an hour and a half left in his work day, so i told him to finish it off, as i was not in pain, we'd had our bags packed for a while, and my mother was on stand-by for our son. i spent that last hour and a half with our son, just being with him, enjoying the last real moments of it being "just us," and assured him that he would be a "big brother" really soon. when my husband got home, he took our son to my mother's house, came back, and started filming the last hours of our baby in my belly. i actually think that my doctor's internal check is what prompted labor because as the evening progressed, the discomfort came and grew quickly. i labored at home most of the time. we left the house around 8:30 or so, checked into the hospital after 9, and had our baby just before midnight.

my husband brought my mother and our son to the hospital early the next morning.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When my sister was born, my grandma was staying with us (she came in town for the birth). She watched my two brothers and I at our house. We were ages 7, 6, and 3. My parents were gone all day and came home that same night, so I got to meet my sister when she was only a few hours old. (They asked for the doctor to discharge them early.)
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    When my second child was born my mother-in-law stayed the night with my son. When my third child was born my sister watched my kids at my home while I delivered. It was actually quite lucky that she showed up when she did. The person who was supposed to watch the kids was nowhere to be found, and my sister happened by while I was laboring so she stayed and watched the kids.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When I had my second son, my parents watched my oldest, who was then 5 and brought him to the hospital a few hours after the delivery. When I had my third, which was supposed to be a homebirth, I hadn't arranged childcare for my older two (who were 6 and 11 at the time) because I figured they could just stay home with us, but when we ended up transferring to the hospital, my parents came over and watched them. They were happy to do it and they again brought my older kids to the hospital to see the new baby. With my 4th, my older kids were 14, 8, and 2.5, and it was again a planned homebirth, so I just had the older kids watch the littlest one. My husband took a few minutes to order pizza for them at dinnertime, and he again took a few minutes to put them to bed, but they entertained each other for all the time in between...good thing because I was kinda cranky about being disturbed while laboring. The baby was born at 11pm, so we just went to bed ourselves after that and showed the new baby to the older kids when they woke up in the morning. We let the older boys take the day off of school to enjoy the new baby, but the following morning, I took them to school and showed off the new baby to their classmates, which was kind of exciting, because most of them had never seen a 1 day old baby before. The baby was their show-n-tell. :)
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    no family around here (and no one our then 2 year old felt comfortable with to spend a sudden overnight) so we arranged for a doula for me and designated hubby as the toddler wrangler and protector. He was in the room when I delivered his brother but hubby and I agreed that if it became too much for him to bear that my husband would walk him out of the room. I'd packed a backpack full of new books, finger games and coloring/drawing stuff plus snacks and a new blankie before I went into labor.

It worked out fabulously - I labored mostly at home while the toddler was asleep. Arrived at the hospital in transition (my doula drove me while the kiddo and husband drove in our van). I labored for 2 hours before delivering at the hospital and was lucid/calm enough to answer toddler's "mommy are you okay?" question with a "yes, I'm just working on birthing your brother".

The only hitch in the plan was the stomach bug he got AT the hospital which made coming home with a newborn and vomitting toddler SUCH a joy. Not. Next time I hope to have a homebirth where my children can feel free to check in on me and we don't have to deal with hospital staff and germs.

It was no fun for my husband to go home with a toddler and shuttle themselves back and forth to the hospital to be with me and the baby.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My son was with his babysitter when I went to the hospital from work. My husband picked him up after I'd had the baby and brought him to the hospital. I have all my kids on weekends, so my husband was off. I had that one on a Friday and went home on Monday.
    With my 3rd, we lived with my parents so they stayed at home with them and my husband. I had that baby on the Sunday of a 3 day holiday and went home on Wednesday or Thursday.

When my sister had her subsequent kids, my parents had the other siblings while she was delivering (scheduled c-section). Afterward, her husband had a hotel room right near the hospital so the kids stayed with him. They spent the days with the family at the hospital, but went to the hotel room for naps and bed time.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My bio mom the first day/night, in laws the 2nd day/night. I went home on the 3rd.
  • cajuncurlscajuncurls Posts: 270Registered Users
    Am I the only one whose daughter drove her own car to the hospital to see her sister? :toothy7:
    Did you do it for love? Did you do it for money? Did you do it for spite? Did you think you had to, honey?
    - Eagles

age.png

age.png
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    cajuncurls wrote: »
    Am I the only one whose daughter drove her own car to the hospital to see her sister? :toothy7:

My husband is 20 years older than his sister, so I don't think he needed too much looking after! (People always look at me strangely when I say I'm taking my SIL to the zoo, etc.)
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    On the day that I had our second, I went in for my regular appointment, so I had dropped my older boy off at my dad's house (my husband had class). At my appointment they determined that I had hardly any amniotic fluid left and because my baby's heartrate had dropped that I should have the baby that day. So my dad and stepmom went and took him shopping for pjs and clothes because we were unprepared. I think my mom watched him the next night because that was the plan initially. My son thought he was so cool because he got to have sleepovers with his grandparents and they were spoiling him rotten.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Nah, people have been having children spaced over decades since the dawn of time. It's only lately that families have all their children in one little clump of years.
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,632Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Once labor started and I was headed to the hospital, we took Number One Son to my parents house. Dad came to the hospital, while Mom baby sat. Once Number 2 Son was delivered, Mom and Number One Son came to see us.

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    spidey... like we said, she is a B!
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• solangesolange Posts: 2,539Registered Users

Nah, people have been having children spaced over decades since the dawn of time. It's only lately that families have all their children in one little clump of years.

True - DH and I are both the youngest in large families and we each have siblings that are 15-20 years older than we are.

My parents came both times I delivered to cook, clean and help however they could.
    3C, BSL Unstretched -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file