1st day!!

mrsdmwmrsdmw Registered Users Posts: 4
hello everyone
i am new here.
a friend told me about transitioning and i finally made the decision today to give it a go. i am "due" for a touch up this past weekend. i have about 1/2 inch new growth that is wavy. all i know is that i am ready to be perm free. i need to wash it. what should i wash with and what should i steer clear of? please, please help me gals.
thanks

Comments

• jcurladyjcurlady Registered Users Posts: 626 Curl Novice
    Welcome, and congrats on deciding to go natural. This is a great place to start. I'm no expert, but I'll give u the best advice I have. Toss the shampoo. Many shampoos strip the hair of much needed moisture. Once I learned all I need to do for my transition on this website all of my hair woes went away. Many here wash w/ conditioner. If you need to get the product buildup out of your hair some people use baking soda or apple cider vinegar(ACV) rinses. You can find the measurements on the recipe forum.
    So, I'll just tell you what I do to my hair. I only wash w/ conditioner (cowashing). Most of the products that I use are natural, but some people prefer to go w/ products that are more easily accessable as this CG thing can get a little pricey and some of us (like me) have problems controling the product junkie (PJ) in us. Still I use Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose(AOHSR) as my deep conditioner (dt) and sometimes my co-washer. You may need to do a deep treatment conditioner because relaxers strip the hair of way more moisture than the shampoo. I usually do a dt and a hot oil treatment either every week or every other week. I then put a leave in conditioner. Some people just use the same CO that they co-wash w/. I do sometimes, but mostly I use giovanni direct leave in or sheamoisture shea butter leave in(SM). I then use a styler and a gel. I've only been on this website for a little while, but I have my (HG) holy grail ( my staple products). I use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Kinky-Curly Knot Today[/buylink] and Curling Custard (KCKT and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]). I can actually use them exclusively w/o the leave in but I like the leave in 4 extra moisture.
    I'm sorry about this being so long but I kind of had to seek this info out in my mind I'm making this easier 4 u. Just let me think that.
    If you want products that are more easily accessable, others use VO5 or Suave conditioners for co-wash and leave in. Ecostyler, Herbal Essences(HE) and Fantasic IC make curl friendly gels. Also, some people use oils like jojoba (desert essence makes a good one), grapeseed oil, coconut oil, amla oil, and vatika oil to name a few.
    Others will kick in a fill u in on what I missed. You'll learn so much about how to care for your hair from the website. I hope this helped (HTH) some.
    The abbreviations are just to help u because they're everywhere and I couldn't figure out what they were when I first came here.
    if luvin KCKT and KCCC is wrong I don't wanna b right

sell crazy somewhere else...we're all stocked up here.
  • Violeta77Violeta77 Registered Users Posts: 134
    Check out this website... it's all about the Curly Girl (CG) method, which mainly means avoiding certain ingredients in your shampoos, conditioners, and styling products. There are lists of what you can buy that is CG, and what type of store you find them at (drugstore, health food, etc.). You can also check out the curly mart here to shop. All of this is based on the book 'Curly Girl' by Lorraine Massey. Welcome!

http://healthycurls.awardspace.com/index.html
    A 3B trying to regain control of the frizz!
  • mariag002mariag002 Registered Users Posts: 3,557 Curl Neophyte
    Violetta, congratulations on your decision to transition! I'm not an expert, but I can tell you a little bit about how I did it. I transitioned for 10 months when I decided to at least have enough hair on my head I could work with. At that time I probably had a good 5 1/2 - 6 inches of hair. The first few months of transitioning is the hardest, you might be tempted but just come here for help and we'll do our best to keep encouraging you. For me the first 6 months were the hardest but after that it was smooth sailing. I've been relaxer free for 13 months and I don't regret it.

I am a bad girl, I don't co-wash I just use diluted shampoo. That's just me, you can do whatever you want. To hide the two textures I would do ponytails in my hair or rollerset. I did use a flat iron, but only with a hair serum and maybe like 2-3 times a month and on a low setting.

Like I said, good luck! You will find many websites with transitioning tips if you google "natural hair." You will also find books on the subject as well.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• Violeta77Violeta77 Registered Users Posts: 134
    mariag002 wrote: »
    Violetta, congratulations on your decision to transition!

You tawkin' to me? I have no clue what 'transition' actually means... I've just switched to CG and that website is a great help with the product lists! I'm guessing you meant to address MrsDMW...
    A 3B trying to regain control of the frizz!
    Violeta77 wrote: »
    mariag002 wrote: »
    Violetta, congratulations on your decision to transition!

You tawkin' to me? I have no clue what 'transition' actually means... I've just switched to CG and that website is a great help with the product lists! I'm guessing you meant to address MrsDMW...

Doh! :laughing7:
    Yes I meant mrsdmw ahahaha thanks for telling me. And transitioning means going from chemically relaxed hair to natural hair. See I taught you something today LOL :toothy7:
    - Maria

• mrsdmwmrsdmw Registered Users Posts: 4
    :nike:thank you guys SO much for the speedy reply. i feel more encouraged now. i have to admit...im afraid. i do not want my hair to fall out. ok, ok, lemme keep it real...im downright scared. i am going to be depending on support here heavily. i am a believer, however, because i have seen for myself two of my friends who have gone natural and their hair looks wonderful. its just that i didnt see them during the transition period, its been a few years but when i saw them xmas day i was like WOW. their hair looks so healthy. this site feels like a family atmosphere to me. it helps to hear from gals who are in the boat with you and that can coach you through. i hope to be on here coaching someone along before long.
    thanks again for the replies....
    one more question though...i hear everyone talkin about the bc. (i think thats what it is) do i have to cut all of my hair off? or is there a way to keep it and go thru the process of transitioning? my hair is about 3-4 inches past shoulder length and i would be in tears if i had to go to a teeny weeny afro (twa) at this point. anyone out there who didnt cut? if so, do tell.
    mrsdmw wrote: »
    one more question though...i hear everyone talkin about the bc. (i think thats what it is) do i have to cut all of my hair off? or is there a way to keep it and go thru the process of transitioning? my hair is about 3-4 inches past shoulder length and i would be in tears if i had to go to a teeny weeny afro (twa) at this point. anyone out there who didnt cut? if so, do tell.

I cut about 2-3 inches (my choice) when I was 5 months into the transition. I wasn't going to do the BC, I was going to gradually cut every few months. My hair was getting longer and I was starting to grow attached to the length (if you go in my Fotki page its under summer pictures) so I decided to do the big chop. I've seen people wait 2 yrs, I've seen people wait 2 months. Its all your choice. By the way, during my transition period my hair didn't fall out at all. On the contrary, I never even got split ends.
    I waited 10 months because I was afraid I would hinder the growth of my natural hair if I kept holding on to the relaxed ends. It was a personal choice, I can't even tell you if that's true or not. For me it was the decision that made sense at the time. I don't miss my old relaxed hair, but I look forward to my hair growing longer.

My transitioning pictures: http://public.fotki.com/mariag002/transitioning-pictures/
    - Maria

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file