Book recs?

iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
I already have some pregnancy related books at home from being a doula:

1. Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn
2. The Birth Partner
3. The Doula Book
4. Special Women

I'm planning to buy Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth as well.

Can anyone recommend any other books? There is one I remember people liking here that was called something like The Pregnancy Journal or Pregnancy Week By Week or something (Amneris, I think you were one of the people who had this book I'm thinking of?).

I'm also looking for books about breastfeeding and staying healthy in pregnancy (ie exercise, nutrition).

TIA!
3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A

Comments

  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I really liked Birth: The Surprising History of How We Are Born by Tina Cassidy.

    I can't remember the exact name of the Week by Week Pregnancy Journal but I liked it just to check on what the fetus-baby was doing day by day. Honestly, the money could be saved though because all of that information is freely available on the internet. I think BabyCenter has the day by day info available.

    The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy and Belly Laughs were both really lightweight and fun.


    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    DarkAngel wrote: »
    I really liked Birth: The Surprising History of How We Are Born by Tina Cassidy.

    I liked this book as well.
    DarkAngel wrote: »
    I can't remember the exact name of the Week by Week Pregnancy Journal but I liked it just to check on what the fetus-baby was doing day by day. Honestly, the money could be saved though because all of that information is freely available on the internet. I think BabyCenter has the day by day info available.

    Yes, I get a weekly email from BabyCenter that tells how the baby is developing and has a picture.

    ETA: I'm also reading LLL's The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding.
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    I loved my Bradley Method book. Also, The Birth Book by Dr. Sears. For breastfeeding I liked The Breastfeeding Book by Dr. Sears and the La Leche League book. I used to be a part of the breastfeeding support group at IVillage, and I can't tell you how invaluable their help was. I recommend going before birth and reading through posts. It will really help you recognize and solve problems early on so that you don't get overwhelmed and give up.
  • mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    i've enjoyed a book called choosing waterbirth: reclaiming the sacred power of birth by lakshmi bertram.

    even if you aren't planning a home or water birth, it's still a good read, and the second half is a wonderful sequence of pre-natal yoga exercises. i've been doing them (alternating with my pre-natal yoga dvd from gaiam until i get into a class in jan) and really, really enjoying them. they help my back a lot.

    m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg



    weight.png



  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    mayim wrote: »
    i've enjoyed a book called choosing waterbirth: reclaiming the sacred power of birth by lakshmi bertram.

    even if you aren't planning a home or water birth, it's still a good read, and the second half is a wonderful sequence of pre-natal yoga exercises. i've been doing them (alternating with my pre-natal yoga dvd from gaiam until i get into a class in jan) and really, really enjoying them. they help my back a lot.

    m

    Thanks everyone!

    There is one doctor in STL that will do water births, at the hospital where I used to work. I have a friend who had a water birth with her and it's definitely something that appeals to me, so I'm planning to make an appointment with this doctor and see how it goes.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    I'm happy to share my experience with home water birth.

    No additional book reccomendations, but I did like reading midwifery journal articles online from new zealand, australia and europe. I just googled stuff.
    hello.world.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    iris427 wrote: »
    Pregnancy Week By Week

    I read this book and I wouldn't recommend it to you. It does have nice updates of how big the fetus is, etc. (which you can get from Babycenter or another online calendar), but then it usually goes into all these different things that can go wrong. At one point, it had me convinced that my placenta would surely detach too early. The final weeks I found especially annoying, because the author insists that homebirth is very dangerous and at one point basically says that the woman should listen to whatever her doctor says when in labor. While I did choose a hospital birth for myself, I didn't appreciate the condescending attitude toward other forms of care.

    I also read the Birth partner, and that's the one I found really helpful.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

    Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    Bailey422 wrote: »
    iris427 wrote: »
    Pregnancy Week By Week

    I read this book and I wouldn't recommend it to you. It does have nice updates of how big the fetus is, etc. (which you can get from Babycenter or another online calendar), but then it usually goes into all these different things that can go wrong. At one point, it had me convinced that my placenta would surely detach too early. The final weeks I found especially annoying, because the author insists that homebirth is very dangerous and at one point basically says that the woman should listen to whatever her doctor says when in labor. While I did choose a hospital birth for myself, I didn't appreciate the condescending attitude toward other forms of care.

    I also read the Birth partner, and that's the one I found really helpful.

    Hmm, yuck. My former roomie has a book put out by ACOG that was the same way.

    So that probably wasn't the name of the book then. Maybe it was something like The Pregnancy Journal? And I guess I can't search the old threads anymore because they're deleted right?
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I really didn't like any of the pregnancy books I read. I got more useful info by googling whatever I was interested in. I liked Dr. Sears's website but that's more for after baby is here.
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    iris427 wrote: »
    So that probably wasn't the name of the book then. Maybe it was something like The Pregnancy Journal? And I guess I can't search the old threads anymore because they're deleted right?

    Actually, the older threads are still there. There is a setting in your profile that allows you to set how many pages of threads you can view.

    I found an old thread an bumped it for you. It does look like several people recommended The Pregnancy Journal.

    HTH!
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    Yep - I have The Pregnancy Journal. I liked it because there was a little something to read every day about how the baby was developing that was very positive and hopeful to read, and it gave you space to write your own reflections. It didn't have the fear-mongering stuff - that is Your Pregnancy Week by Week or What to Expect when You're Expecting.

    I loved Birthing from Within and I think that had a lot to do with my positive delivery experience.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali


    .png


    534Pm5.png





  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    Amneris wrote: »
    Yep - I have The Pregnancy Journal. I liked it because there was a little something to read every day about how the baby was developing that was very positive and hopeful to read, and it gave you space to write your own reflections. It didn't have the fear-mongering stuff - that is Your Pregnancy Week by Week or What to Expect when You're Expecting.
    i totally agree, i loved the pregnancy journal! they have one for the first year too (but i dont have it. sad subbrock.) the what to expect series always makes me paranoid. hated it.

    a great book for post pregnancy is called, "what mothers do all day: especially when it looks like nothing." i got it at barnes and noble and it really makes me feel great about the job im doing of being a mother.
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    Thanks for the recommendations and bumping the old thread! :)
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    Active Birth by Janet Balaskas. She's even got a pretty thorough website if you google the title.
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    I'm reading Essential Exercises for the Childbearing Year by Elizabeth Noble. It does have a bit of that feminzati touch, but I'm very impressed with the depth of information. I also like that it explains the importance of specific pregnancy and post-pregnancy exercises to combat many of the issues I hear people complain about - like pelvic pressure, incontenence, and abdominal issues.

    If you're looking for more-detailed information on post-partum care, the proper use of kegels and more, I highly recommend.
    hello.world.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file