Is Second Day Hair Impossible?

I feel so frustrated that I can never get second day hair. I've tried pineappling, but that results in a halo of frizz around my head.

Is there a way to get gorgeous hair for more than a day? My hair takes about three hours to dry, so taking a shower is really hard during winter mornings and I really don't want to get up at 4 for my hair (I have my priorities). And if anyone can suggest a way, I'd be grateful.

Comments

• FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    BUMP !!

I'm with ya .... My hair isn't quite long enough to pineapple ... but I'd love to hear any suggestions as well
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
  • JLRcurlyJLRcurly Posts: 245Registered Users
    I'm a 3b as well and have went out with 2nd day hair but I can't say that it looked any good. LOL I spray in Mister right from Devacurl to try and liven up the smashed curls, sometimes I have to spray in some water as well and add product. I pull it 1/2 up or all up if I'm in a rush on the 2nd day.
    JEN :hello2:3b, currently bored with my hair.
  • CurlyBrunetteGirlCurlyBrunetteGirl Posts: 83Registered Users
    JLRcurly wrote: »
    I'm a 3b as well and have went out with 2nd day hair but I can't say that it looked any good. LOL I spray in Mister right from Devacurl to try and liven up the smashed curls, sometimes I have to spray in some water as well and add product. I pull it 1/2 up or all up if I'm in a rush on the 2nd day.

The weird thing is that my curls are perfectly intact, its just the frizz I can't deal with. I end up pinning up the front, but I'd like to not worry about knocking someone down with the frizz that radiates off of me :cry:
  • msjananimsjanani Posts: 624Registered Users
    I generally shower in the morning because second day hair is pretty hard for me to get, but sometimes if it's not too cold out and I don't need a hat I'll put my second-day hair in some sort of updo-ish thing, which is a compromise. Like pigtails or held half-back with a clip. I'm considering investing in a satin pillowcase, as word on the street is that these can help cut down on frizz and tangles.
    3A low/medium porosity, medium texture

Current products:
    Stylers: HE Tousle Me Softly, Condition 3-in-1 Mousse
    Conditioners: Terax Crema, Mill Creek Botanicals Henna Conditioner
    Cleanser: DevaCurl NoPoo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theevolutionofcurl/
  • Just KimmieJust Kimmie Posts: 116Registered Users
    I have ZERO luck with second day hair, even with pinappling, which I do more for comfort than style. If I choose not to CO-wash daily, I still have to spend just as much time and more product trying to style into something reasonable, so there's no point.
    Hair Type: 2B/3A hybrid, I believe. Had it short for about 5 years, and have since let it grow. Layers have brought out the curl...and I haven't gone 'straight' since!

http://public.fotki.com/Kimmie7448/curls-rule/
  • tooj68tooj68 Posts: 471Registered Users
    My hair actaully looks HORRIBLE when I first do it and then better when it's 2nd and 3rd day hair!!

UGH--I wish I could wash and style it and look fresh and pretty that day, however, my hair always looks too crunchy, too tight, pyramidish, wet, just ick!

My hair is like take-out Chinese food--the leftovers are better!!
    3B, with oodles and oodles of curly hair! :toothy7:
    Summer Faves: Devacare NoPoo & OneC, CF High Humidity Gel.
    2nd day hair: Deva Set Me Up pomade & Mr. Right
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair
    Been CG since 2005 and never looked back!
  • keikokkeikok Banned Posts: 585Banned Users
    tooj68 wrote: »
    My hair actaully looks HORRIBLE when I first do it and then better when it's 2nd and 3rd day hair!!

UGH--I wish I could wash and style it and look fresh and pretty that day, however, my hair always looks too crunchy, too tight, pyramidish, wet, just ick!

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN! At night I'll wash my hair and then it will dry and I'll go to the mirror and say "I look terrible! but I'll just sleep it off and probably it will look better in the morning." It always does look better the next morning (after I comb it)! I think its the oils that I collect overnight.
    Keiko

my fotki-its a work in progress
    http://public.fotki.com/keikok/
    password:curly
    tooj68 wrote: »

How do you sleep on it? Loose, braid, ponytail? I'm a very restless sleeper, so I get frizz no matter what (but perfectly defined spirals - what is up with that???). I've decided that I can deal with it, but if anyone has suggestions, I'll worship you.
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    For me second day hair means pulling it back into a ponytail or a bun:cry:. I do find that a satin sleep cap keeps the hairline frizzies away even if I do pull it back on the second day. I never have been able to get true second day hair. Heck, my curls are barely intact by the end of the first day since I lose definition as the day goes on. Also my hair tends to "dent" easily so if I pineapple it for sleeping I can't get the dent out of my curls without wetting it.
    So much for second day hair for me.:sad8:
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • UnrulyCurlsUnrulyCurls Posts: 33Registered Users
    Second day hair is most definitely not impossible. I've been able to master second day hair, and once 3rd day hair.

I've come to realize that if I use less products on the first day, I can get 2rd day hair (since my hair doesn't have a bunch of junk in it).

I, too, am a 3B Curly teen girl who dislikes getting up early;

First Day Routine: I've opted for taking showers at night (Not only is my hair dry by morning, but some of my products crunch is out) & sleeping on my hair loose. In the morning, I wake up and take about 40 minutes doing my hair: I put extra gel & a pea sized ammount of coconut oil in my hair and then diffuse it till it's about 3/4's of the way dry--I let my hair airdry the rest.

Second Day Rountine: I wake up and mist my hair lightly with a spray bottle of water. I then scrunch in a very tiny ammount of gel (You could put half gel and half water in a spray bottle if you like) just to get the flyaways and frizzy strands a bit. I twist curls around my finger if they are limp and frizzy. Sometimes I'll blow my hair dry a little bit, but during the summer, I airdry.

I find that this routine works for me, so you may have different results. Don't be afraid to experiment with other routines until you find one that works for you! :)

HTH some!
    3B/3C, thick, biracial curls
    Modified CG
    Loving my Coconut Oil
    Scouting for the best straightener
  • kcurlskcurls Posts: 205Registered Users
    I just tried a satin sleep cap last night for the first time last night and I have the most frizz-free hair I have had so far in my quest for 2nd day!

My problem has been that I can't reactivate my 2nd day hair with spray b/c that just causes frizz. Although I usually pineapple, and sleep on a satin pillow case, my hair is always frizzier on day 2 - less shiny and defined.

But last night, I carefully put my unpineappled hair into my new satin sleep cap - bought at Walgreens, looks like a black baker's cap. I slept on my pillow case (satin + satin = no pull on the cap). This morning my curls are still very defined, clumpy and shiny. The end of the clumps around my face were a little straightened out, so I put a tiny bit of ReCoil and water on my hands and smoothed out the 2 strands around my face, then pinned them in coils for about 10 minutes. I can't believe how good my hair looks!

I definitely have less volume than if I had pineappled, but my 2nd hair is not flatter than my first day hair - it looks very similar, in fact!

Satin sleep cap, I think I love you!
    3A - fine, just above shoulder length, w/red color and highlights.

Product: Suave Coconut leave in, Joico Joiwhip mousse, Angell or F/X Curl booster on wet hair. Sometimes rotate in ReCoil/CK.

Routine: Scrunch with cloth diapers, then use Shellynot's clipping method. Diffuse a bit without touching hair. Leave clips in at least half and hour. Remove clips and air dry.

Day 2: Pineapple, no product.

DT once a week with DevaCare OneC

ALSO:
    "I got a crush on Obama."
    Second day hair is most definitely not impossible. I've been able to master second day hair, and once 3rd day hair.

I've come to realize that if I use less products on the first day, I can get 2rd day hair (since my hair doesn't have a bunch of junk in it).

I, too, am a 3B Curly teen girl who dislikes getting up early;

First Day Routine: I've opted for taking showers at night (Not only is my hair dry by morning, but some of my products crunch is out) & sleeping on my hair loose. In the morning, I wake up and take about 40 minutes doing my hair: I put extra gel & a pea sized ammount of coconut oil in my hair and then diffuse it till it's about 3/4's of the way dry--I let my hair airdry the rest.

Second Day Rountine: I wake up and mist my hair lightly with a spray bottle of water. I then scrunch in a very tiny ammount of gel (You could put half gel and half water in a spray bottle if you like) just to get the flyaways and frizzy strands a bit. I twist curls around my finger if they are limp and frizzy. Sometimes I'll blow my hair dry a little bit, but during the summer, I airdry.

I find that this routine works for me, so you may have different results. Don't be afraid to experiment with other routines until you find one that works for you! :)

HTH some!

I think the spray bottle will save me. Frizz is my main problem, and I put too much gel in one area, so the spray bottle = lifesaver. Thank you sooo much for this, because maybe I can wake up at a sane hour from now on.
    I found that once I switched to a satin pillowcase I was able to get second day hair witrh ZERO frizz, and I am VERRRRY frizz-prone!
    Also, I sleep with my hair in a pineapple (high ponytail), whether its' totally wet or dry.

I slept at my Mom's house last week (on a "regular" pillowcase) and I was NOT able to get second day hair at all!! The curls were nice, but there was complete FRIZZ!!!!!!!

Therefore I conclude that the satin pillowcase along with the pineapple ponytail has made a HUGE difference in my hair. Without it, I am UNABLE to achieve second-day hair. That could be the culprit!

As for my 2nd/3rd day styling routine, it's pretty simple:
    All I do is spray a few spritzes of Mister Right (lavendar water spray) to rewet slightly, spray a few spritzes of L'Oreal Totally Twisted Spray Gel or any spray gel diluted with some water. I place some clips at my crown to reduce a flat top appearance, let them dry in my hair on my commute (15-20 min). Once I am in the parking lot at work, I carefully take out my clips and go!

HTH!!
  • mysteryflavoredmysteryflavored Posts: 1,271Registered Users Curl Novice
    I tried out a satin sleep cap that I got from Sally's last night. It didn't work so well.. my curls were smushed and the hair near my hairline was totally frizzed out and gross. Maybe I did something wrong.
  • embudiniembudini Posts: 580Registered Users
    Mysteryflavored: I haven't tried a satin sleep cap, but I remember reading others reviews saying it didn't work well for them. So you probably didn't do anything wrong, it just didn't work for you.
    PW: ihaveafotki :toothy2:
    Fotki UPDATED! 12-14-2007
    3A-3B layered-longer-than-shoulder-length-not-really-CG
    Former Tween Scene Columnist
  • curlylew66curlylew66 Posts: 1,685Registered Users
    I just put small amounts of water in my hands and gently smooth my hands over my hair. Then I take small amounts of product and do the same. Diffuse for a minute to set the product. I can go days and days doing this. I use a regular pillowcase and leave my hair down while I sleep.
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    I tried a satin sleep cap last night that I bought at CVS and didn't like it at all. I put WDT in my hair last night and bought the cap so I could sleep in the conditioner, but I felt like I had a really tight rubber band wrapped around my head. It bugged me so much, I finally got up & took it off; then just pineappled my hair, put a towel on my pillow and that worked out much better for me. Maybe I just need to find a different sleep cap or maybe I just don't do well with trying to sleep with something on my head.:dontknow:
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kcurlskcurls Posts: 205Registered Users
    Oh dear, the satin sleep cap doesn't seem to be a universal HG! I does make kind of a sexy baker's cap, though.:wink:

Just a couple of notes, I use the satin sleep cap with my hair dry - ie, at the end of the day, I just put my hair in my cap - no additional treatments or conditioners. beyond what I applied in the morning. I may use it as an overnight conditioning cap at some point, but because plopping doesn't work for me for any length of time, I wouldn't try to have second day hair after sleeping overnight with product.

The band around the forehead just fits me, and I have a small-to-medium head, so I imagine it may be uncomfortable for some.

I wonder if my hair length makes it work better (above shoulder length)? Longer hair may get more smushed?

I am also going to try it WITH my pineapple, going for the perfect combo of volume and definition. It will probably smush the top of my pineapple, but may still keep it less frizzy, and I may be able to coax the smushed curls back.

Hopes this helps, but I agree with embudini - may not work for all.
    3A - fine, just above shoulder length, w/red color and highlights.

Product: Suave Coconut leave in, Joico Joiwhip mousse, Angell or F/X Curl booster on wet hair. Sometimes rotate in ReCoil/CK.

Routine: Scrunch with cloth diapers, then use Shellynot's clipping method. Diffuse a bit without touching hair. Leave clips in at least half and hour. Remove clips and air dry.

Day 2: Pineapple, no product.

DT once a week with DevaCare OneC

ALSO:
    "I got a crush on Obama."
  • SalsalitSalsalit Posts: 41Registered Users
    I usually wet and condition my hair at night and sleep with it loose, which allows my hair to dry overnight. The next morning, I spritz it with lavender spray and scrunch. If it feels a bit dry, especially after I've colored it, I'll scrunch in some Pantene Pro-V Relaxed and Natural oil cream moisturizer. Once I've spritzed and scrunched, my 2nd day hair looks great.
    "There is such a thing as natural beauty, but every woman needs a little help to bring it out."
    If the satin sleep cap isn't working for you, try the satin pillowcase. It works wonders for my FRIZZ-prone, coarse 3B curls!
  • Laney1Laney1 Posts: 308Registered Users
    Good thread!

I'll just add that when I started using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] along with pineappling for my 3B hair, it made a big difference. I now get 2nd and 3rd day hair always. In fact, I also like my hair a little better on the 2nd day now because it's a little more uniform. If I have a little frizz, I re-activate the ton of CK I have in my hair or use just a tiny bit of re-coil.
    3B, with some 3C

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file