Your 2008 routine

butterflydreamsbutterflydreams Posts: 23Registered Users
What are you thinking about adding?
What are you thinking about deleting?
What are you modifying or not using as much?
Is Your routine staying the same? tell about it.

~I'm adding more organic products. I just started using Giovanni poo/condish/leave in about 2 months ago even though I have been natural for awhile. I want to try more AO. I have only tried AO GPB (last yr). I want to find a good deep-moisturizing conditioning treatment.

~I'm deleting "magical" growth products. This year my focus is Retention. I relealized my growth is just fine.

~I won't be using supplements for hair anymore. But, I do take iron for anemia and ester C for immunity but that's it. I will be adding more fruits and veggies and exercise also.

~I also want to be more consistent and patient in 2008.

Your turn...:toothy7: what you up too in 08?
Natural since 2005:toothy7:

Comments

• eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,151Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Not really going to add anything. I've found products that work for me on a consistent basis, so there isn't much need to experiment as much. Though I do like finding new hair gems. If anything, I'll probably look to find a really good cream. I have a fav, but I want something that's a bit more cost effective.

Nothing really. Everything I use, I like.

Again, nothing really. My whole routine is modified based upon the seasons and the needs of my hair anyway.

For the most part, it will remain the same. But it depends on the condition and needs of my hair. If anything, I'll utilize more protective styling. I've been wearing my hair out ALOT, thus encountering more of these pesky knots. Grrrr.....So, to counter that, I'll keep my hair in twists or will straighten occasionally. Something I've done in the past anyway, but will just increase the frequency. I've retained more length than I ever did as a permie, so I must be doing something right. LOL! BUT, I will lessen using scarves along my hairline. I'm noticing a teensy bit of thinning along the front edges. I'm not feeling that at all.
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    - Want to to step out of my "wash and go" box & go more protective in 2008 -- twists, twist extensions, coils, phony pony hairpiece.
    - I would like to flatiron at least once to see what it looks like
    - I would like to get a Deva cut.
    - I want to try cassia and wish I could find a henna professional, primarily because having to cover 90% gray and blending for light brown (no red, no way!) are not things I feel confident about trying on my own.
    - Trying Natural-laxer now but cassia's cheaper, frankly. And I don't want to "stretch" my hair. I want more volume, silkier more moist curls/coils/waves, less shrinkage and longer hair.

-No more topical "hair growth" solutions, like Surge or sulfur oil - internal supplements only.
    - No more debulking cuts.

Not shampooing as much; co-washing really works for me. I'm quite happy with my current product line-up but that doesn't stop me from stepping out on them LOL. I would like to stick with one product combo for 2 weeks (I switch up every few co-washes).

Pretty much. Baggying and oil rinses seem to have added value. Natural oils have become a staple in hair prep (but not styling).

Overnight baggy
    co-wash
    leave-in, styler/gel
    plop
    gel touch up, dry

or

Co-wash
    Oil rinse
    conditoner
    leave-in/styler, plop
    gel touch up, dry

Or
    co-wash
    whipped butter on ends, rinse
    leave-in
    styler/gel, dry
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • curlynikkicurlynikki Posts: 2,420Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Nothing. My current routine is working better than anything in the past and my New Years quote is, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it.' I usually change up routines every 2 months or so...but I've been doing this one for going on 3 and I'm committed.

Nada.

Not using shampoo at all...henna gets the job done.

I henna every other week with Jamila and DT afterwards with Aubrey Organic Honey Suckle Rose. I co-wash every 3 days with AO HSR and style with SheaMoisture and Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Hair Jelly. I no longer use heat and I only sleep on satin :D I trim my ends on an as needed basis, and I treat my hair like old lace (I haven't used a comb in more than 6 months and I handle it VERY gently).

I will try to stick to my vitamin routine and I'll keep drinking my water and green tea.

My hair has grown alot in the past 4 months and part of it is due to throwing out cheap, drug store products and turning to slightly more expensive organic products. My hair is definitely responding well to the henna, Aubrey and SheaMoisture products.

That's about it :D
  • LadydncingLadydncing Posts: 964Registered Users
    Protein condtioner. I've been testing these and they work very well. However, I do need to alternate them with my regular moisturizing conditioner. My hair is not bothered by them. Actually, they love them! I am also dying to try this Shea Moisture, but promised that I wouldn't buy anything more till after February.

Nothing.

I think that I am going to do weekly DTs vs. biweekly and see how that works. Protein DTs once a month and moisturizing ones the rest of the month.

Pretty much. Modified CG works for me. I am just using a bit more protein now that my hair is getting longer.
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl
    Password: Locks

event.png
  • dsg-girlycurlydsg-girlycurly Posts: 343Registered Users
    I'm still looking for a good leave-in without the white residue side effect....so definitely a good natural/organic leave in. Also, I may try the AO Mandarin Magic Jelly.

I don't know of anything that I'll be deleting....right now. However I'm moving towards using products with all natural/organic food grade ingredients which means I'll eventually be deleting the cheapie commercial conditioners.....but not before I find something that is a good detangler with excellent slip.

Overall I want to stop being so heavy handed with the products I use. I'll eventually move from weekly to bi-weekly henna applications.

I usually baggy everynight, poo everyother day...or so, oil & condition rinse and style with a gel. On the weekends I henna and dt. Products I currently use are:

AO shampoos (Selenium & JAY Dessert)
    VO5 Strawberries & Cream conditioner
    Essential Balms & Shea Moisture pure shea nutter
    ECO, IC Fantasia and Aloe Vera Gel
    Homemade moisturizing & protein dts, spritzer, and sulfur oil treatments
    Henna, Shakakai, Brahmi and Amla powders
    EVOO, castor, glycerin, miscellaneous carrier and essential oils
    Honey

I've put Shea Moisture Leave-in on probation for now :cry:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4A&B -- Henna and the entire Essential Balms product line; lately Carol's Daughter honey mimosa & black vanilla leave-in. Staple products are SheaMoisture, Aubrey Organics and Trader Joes Norish Spa conditioner, ACV and IC Fantasia Gel. I'm also Mixtress (I love making my own hair concoctions :glasses9:)

Be encouraged -- Cuzz Fuzz is what it Duzz!!

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/dsg373839/
  • GuyanaGal718GuyanaGal718 Posts: 207Registered Users
    I want to do a henna treatment. See how that works. And also I want to add a homemade "refresher spray" to keep up with my curls
    Nothing, I don't really use much: Shampoo, Conditioner, Deep Conditioner, Leave in Conditioner, and Styler..... not too many products right now
    I'm going to modify my styler some how to make it hold more
    My routine has been inconsistent thus far. This is what it is GOING to be:
    Saturday: Wash and deep condition har treatment (or henna) 1x a week. And Style...go out and show off!
    Sunday: Refresh curls with curl refresher spritz
    Monday: (track practice) Wear hair in a curly-tail with a head band. Moisturizing spritz and go!
    Tuesday: Conditioner wash at night, sleep in.
    Wednesday: Wash Out, Moisturizing spritz and a curly tail
    Thursday: Curl refresher + Moisturizing Spritz and a curly tail
    Friday: Conditioner wash (if I'm going out) and style.If not, full wash on Saturday with a deep conditioning treatment.

In a nutshell: Conditioning wash 1-2wice a with a deep treatment at the end of the week.
    A 3b/3c/ curlicious combo with a sprinkle of 4a.
    The Big Chop August. 2006 :nike:
    Natural Diva since 2005.
    Tracklete Star!
  • kdcreighkdcreigh Posts: 736Registered Users
    Just started using oils - jamaican castor oil and vatika oil. I've noticed that my ends do feel softer after an oil application.

I might ditch the henna treatments in favor of amla and cassia. They're less time consuming and involve less prep work.

Less shampooing. Less reliance on hair gels, at least for the cold months. No more Denman brush!

I've gotten to the point where my hair looks the same almost every day regardless of what I use. I'm not worrying about curl definition for the winter months (I'm being lazy).

For the cold months:

-Co-washing every second or third day. Refreshing with a butter-based leave-in and a spritz of water on days when I don't co-wash. Combing with my Mason Pearson detangling comb once weekly.

-Shampooing once every two or three weeks.
    YES WE CAN!

kdcreigh 4a and b (who knows?:dontknow:)

Relegated to occasional lurking in order to keep the PJ in check!
    :lurk:

http://public.fotki.com/kdcreigh/
    PW: natural
  • butterflydreamsbutterflydreams Posts: 23Registered Users
    Thx everyone for sharing your current and/or 2008 routines.
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've been wasting money buying products that don't work for me so for right now, I'm not going to add anything new for a while.

I probably won't buy Miss Jessie's products again because its too much money and it has a heavy scent. I used to put Super Gro on my hair when it was dry and that's going in the garbage.

I would say gels. I don't wash and go and right now I think I need my hair to grow a little more before I start leaving it down curly with gel.

I will continue to use my Dominican products, rollerset once a week, I love the honey with EVOO so I will continue to moisturize using organic products. I will also continue to use Aphogee every 4 weeks and Henna every 4-6 weeks or when my greys come out. If I do need gel I'll stick with Fantasia.

I'm not going to cut my hair at all next year and I will continue to protect my hair by rollersetting, using a silk cap at night and ponytails with oils on the weekends. So far my current regimine has made my hair grow and I have no split ends so I will continue doing what I'm doing. My goal is to have 7 extra inches of hair by this time next year :)

- Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• FleurztyFleurzty Posts: 795Registered Users
    I like the products I currently use. I have been tempted to try sheamoisture since it is much cheaper that blended beauty products but my products work so well for me that I don’t want to mess it up. I’ll try more protective styles if time permits.

I love my products; not really thinking about removing any items from my routine.

Nothing.

Is your routine staying the same? Tell about it.
    I want to be more consistent with my routine. My hair is thriving so I can only wonder how well it’ll do if I dedicate more time and effort to it. My goal is to wash once a week and conditioner wash every 2-3 days. I also want to add deep treatments every week as well as henna treatments every other week. I only trim when I think it’s really necessary.
  • Frizzcurls427Frizzcurls427 Posts: 152Registered Users
    I am not adding or deleting anything for a while...I am very satisfied with the products that I've been using because most they are all organic and do what they say they will do for my hair. I might omit the Eco styler gel the longer my hair gets because for the I love the Sheamoisture/ AO jelly combo...Sometimes I just crave more control and choose to add the Eco styler gel...It is protein based but I don't think that I am protein sensitive...Really don't know what protein sensitive is...I just know I don't have any negative effects from using this gel bc I use Sheamoisture first and that creates enough moisture to balance out the protein and moisture content...That's pretty much it for me!
    Lovin' my curly corkscrews!
    http://public.fotki.com/Musiclova
    http://photobucket.com/Frizzcurls427
    www.youtube.com/Frizzcurls427
    http://urahautemama.blogspot
    Products: Giovanni Direct Leave In, Paul Mitchell The Conditioner, FOTE 100% aloe vera gel, Eco styler gel (olive oil), coconut oil, olive oil, shea butter,honey
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    great thread...

hot oil treatments, headbands hair pins and accessories, using plastic clips with a little oyin pomade to stretch my hair a bit as it dries (gives a nice look). i will drink more water for the benefit of my hair, skin and overall health.

various leave-ins, i'm pretty happy with karen's body beautiful hair milk and hair cream and afro detangler.

i will still twist my hair but i won't feel like i can't just wear my hair as it is.

i will still trim my hair myself according to the moroccan method lunar chart. i'm going to continue co-washing and occassional non-sulfate cleansers. i don't comb daily or weekly even. i use my hands alot. i just had my one year anniversary since cutting my locs so i just want to achieve length and nice, healthy, beautiful hair .
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • mslanee1mslanee1 Posts: 439Registered Users
    I am going to be adding Cassia and even some henna! Yeah:blob7: Now that I am getting more length, I am going to try and experiment more with style options like flat twists and cornrows. Also dare I say "I am going to buy and try my first gel as a styler" Probably will try Ecostyler and IC Fantasia. ALso will be adding more DT Oh and more oil, I want to try Avacado Oil and Coconut Oil

Hmmm, I have a lot of things that are okay but I just dont LOVE. (anything Miss Jessies, B2B Pom, Burt's Bee, Curls Spiral Curls Cream etc) So I am going to use the rest of those up

i want to modify how much I cowash. My hair feels healthy so its not a bad thing, I just want to master second and thir day hair consistantly

i will still trim myself, and only use a comb maybe once a month. Keeping with the satin pillowcase and drinking plenty of H20. And really just keeping with my goal of mental, spiritual, and physical health.
    CURRENT PRODUCTS: Oyin Honey Hemp, Honey Wash, Burnt Sugar Pomade, Shine and Define, and Whipped Pudding. Also loving HH Hello Hydration and HENNA!

• curlywifecurlywife Posts: 198Registered Users
    Let me first say that I love most of the products I use and the routine I have for my hair. I am going to try Robert Craig coloring. I use Proclaim Hair Gel now and I love it however I would love to find a gel with organic hair ingredients that works as great as Proclaim.

I am going to delete the Clairol Natural Instinct for color. I might delete the Proclaim hair gel if I can find an organic one that works however I am taking my time by trying one product at a time.

I'm going to keep with my same routine. It's great.

Definitely. I wash my hair once a week (rotate one week DT and the next week CO wash). I keep my hair in protective styles. I might wear a puff for a week(I wash twice this week), or a flat twist hair style that last for a week. Next spring when my hair is longer, I'm going to try a twist out and coil out style. I'm not a big fan of wash n gos because I don't like to leave home with my hair wet and my hair looks like a very very short jerri curl. I'll wear it out when it gets longer. That's it.
    4a-Cute, Coily, Curly Afro When Dry
    DT-Aubrey Organics White Camellia & Yes to Cucumbers
    Moisturizer-Oyin Shea butter & Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade (my new love)
  • CottonCandyCottonCandy Posts: 125Registered Users
    Great thread!

I'm thinking about trying henna + indigo combination to get darker hair. Either that or highlights. Obviously the former is the healthier, SMARTER color option but I keep toying with the idea of chestnut highlights just for a change.
    I'm adding hot oil treatments back in, and protein treatments back in. My hair can tolerate a lot of protein and does better with it at reasonable intervals. Try to do some form of pre-shampoo/pre-condition technique every time. I'm experimenting with essential oils as well.

Impulse purchases of expensive stuff I don't need. Also use up all the pj purchases from last year.

Trimming! I realized I actually trim more frequently than I thought (started keeping track). The only way to avoid that is to take better care of my ends. I am also going to try to avoid using clarifying shampoos frequently, and use gentler shampoos when I can get away with it.

I was limited by what conditioning/deep conditioning I could do because my scalp would be irritated from it. Lately, when I dc, I apply Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat conditioner to my scalp/roots, and then whatever conditioner concoction I want to the length. Happy scalp, happy ends! This has worked wonders so this will be a staple method in 2008. I have to be consistent with techniques I know work and not give up due to laziness/forgetfulness.
    - silk scarf, satin pillowcases
    - deep conditioning at least once/week
    - limit 'product hopping'
    - exercise, balanced diet, vitamins (overall health, not just hair)
    - gentler protective styles (throwing out worn bobby pins, only gentle hair bands, not tieing to tauntly or slicking back edges too harshly).
    3c-like S-waves and random curls
    Fine density; medium & fine strands
    Naturally very dry and very frizzy
  • lovinmylocslovinmylocs Posts: 137Registered Users
    I have some bad pjism so I will probably add something along the way. Actually I want to try some Ojon conditioner and hair treatment. I also want to try more products by Oyin. That stuff is good, good, good. I want to experiment with some stuff that I make up myself...just call me the mad scientist. LOL

Anything Miss Jessie's - I thought this would be an hg for my hair type since so many people love it. I can't get into it and it's pricey. For that much money I don't want to smell like grape kool-aid. LOL
    I am going to try to go with more natural products.

I'm not using as many styling products as before....I'm all about moisture. I need to find one good styler that will work with my leave-ins. I'll be a happy camper if that happens.

Is Your routine staying the same?
    I hope not I don't have a consistent routine. I can get pretty decent first day hair, but that second day hair is hit or miss. Third day hair I had once and I'm not quite sure it wasn't a dream. HA!
    http://public.fotki.com/lovinmylocs/
    pass: nappy
    Scared of the big chop...nah - I chopped it off on 12.21.07
    I think I've found my HG and routine but I'm still looking for my hair twin.
    Hey twin are you out there...
    HG: Elucence MBS, VO5 Vitaburst - Grapefruit Mandarin Splash, Tigi Control Serum
    Products up for Audition: Jessicurl Too Shea, Ojon Restorative Hair Treatment and Re:Coil
  • dxwashdxwash Posts: 245Registered Users

A whole lot. I just went back to wearing my hair curly after 2 years of braids and flat ironing. I have a serious PJ habit so there are a lot of products out there that I want to try. Off the top of my head Apogee treatments before I get my color. Include more accessories (headbands and scarves).

Anything that doesn't work. I am still in my trial and error stage.

I want to get to the point where I shampoo maybe once a month and use other methods of cleaning my scalp and hair (ACV rinses, herbal tea rinses, Baking soda, clay etc)

My routine will stay the same:

Overnite baggy with oil or moisturizer
    Co wash in the AM
    Leave in
    Styler
    Once a week deep conditioner and Cassia every other week.

The products will change. So far I love: TJ Nourish (for co wash) PM Generic the conditioner (leave in), Giovanni Direct (leave in), Long aid curl activator gel, Aubery Organic MMJ

Products to try for 08: Karens body beautiful, Oyins handmade, Qhemets biologics, Apogee
    Thank you ladies, may I ask how often you all are combing (detangling)? I have seen some extreme "no combing" for 2-4 weeks on some boards which I don't think is for me. I dreaded at 2 weeks of no combing + protective styling when I was relaxed. But, I have been thinking of combing 2x weekly at first then 1x a week later on. If my hair will cooperate.
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users

i don't plan to change anything. if it ain't broke . . .

my routine for some time has been:

1. scalp-cleansing once weekly (usually on saturday night). my hair gets clean enough while rinsing. i finger-dry-detangle prior to cleansing, finger detangle while shampoo is in, and finger detangle after applying the rinse-out conditioner. this means very little effort when it's time to finish up with the more thorough detangling with my denman d41 brush.

2. between shampoos (usually on wednesday), i'll do a plain-water scalp rinse, massaging with my fingers to work up sebum, product oils, sweat, dust, etc. i follow with my conditioner, finger detangling before rinsing. i don't use the denman mid-week. if i have mid-week itchies, i have cleansed my scalp with a dilution of baking soda and warm water (approx. 1 tbsp bs to 2 cups water). fortunately, i don't have to do this often.

3. twice weekly after cleansing my scalp, i'll apply jojoba oil to sections of my still very damp and detangled hair. then i twist it into two giant pocahantas 2-strands.

4. i sleep with my hair wrapped in a satin scarf that i got from walmart. it's designed in a shape that molds one's head and with 2 ties already formed (it's not a square-shaped piece of satin). especially on damp hair, wearing this scarf for even 15 minutes will create waves on my hair. after wearing it overnight, my waves are defined all the next day and longer.

5. i use unrefined shea butter as a styling gel. literally a lentil size amount, emulsified and smoothed onto my damp hair (or hair that i've wet with my hands) will "glue" any halo fuzz down. and if i tie my hair down with my scarf afterward, the fuzz will blend into the waves all day.

6. aubrey organics. i like different ones for different reasons. but the ones that my hair and scalp like are: GPB sham/cond, JAY sham/cond, and rosa mosqueta sham/cond. i always use the matching sets and get great results. normally, i switch up as the seasons change. i'm really enjoying the GPB during this cold fall/winter.

7. every 2 months, i clip 1/4" from my ends, whether they look like they need a trim or not. at this time, i also do a neutral henna (rainbow brand) that i leave on for at least an hour. this leaves my hair shiny beyond belief that lasts from one application to the next. i have naturally dusty-brown hair that, without the treatment, always looks matte.

8. i don't do 2-strands and puffs with frequency like i used to. i discovered that these two styles contributed to my tangling woes and strand knots. my staple styles now are pinned up styles. i make the style look different by changing my part or the accessory. 2-strands, now, are my special occasion style.

9. in the rare instance that i flat-iron my hair, i use ic fantasia's heat protectant in the rosy-reddish bottle. i flat iron in sections with a conair flatiron with temp. control, and my hair gets bone straight and lasts days without me having to reapply heat. the protectant works because my hair reverts instantly in contact with water. again this is a rare style. this past thanksgiving was my first time in a few years wearing my hair straight.

10. that's it! this has been working for me for over a year, and my scalp and hair seem to respond very well to it.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • mslanee1mslanee1 Posts: 439Registered Users
    Thank you ladies, may I ask how often you all are combing (detangling)? I have seen some extreme "no combing" for 2-4 weeks on some boards which I don't think is for me. I dreaded at 2 weeks of no combing + protective styling when I was relaxed. But, I have been thinking of combing 2x weekly at first then 1x a week later on. If my hair will cooperate.

I comb with a wide toothed comb once a month, and in the mean time a finger combe my hair everytime I cowash. I have found I really dont need to comb as much as I thought I did.
    CURRENT PRODUCTS: Oyin Honey Hemp, Honey Wash, Burnt Sugar Pomade, Shine and Define, and Whipped Pudding. Also loving HH Hello Hydration and HENNA!

rainshower wrote: »
    8. i don't do 2-strands and puffs with frequency like i used to. i discovered that these two styles contributed to my tangling woes and strand knots. my staple styles now are pinned up styles. i make the style look different by changing my part or the accessory. 2-strands, now, are my special occasion style.

i think that is my problem too. i love twist out styles but the ends can get tangly!!! i'm better off with big twists but then i don't like wearing the big twists out in public. so i think small twists for a twist out every once in a while and probably not leaving it twisted for more than 4-5 days (dang that's a lot of work to only leave it twisted that long) or big fat twists that come out after they dry or perhaps over night.
    mslanee1 wrote: »

I comb with a wide toothed comb once a month, and in the mean time a finger combe my hair everytime I cowash. I have found I really dont need to comb as much as I thought I did.
    Wow Ms, that is some determination! I have combed once so far this week and I will comb again saturday morning (wash day). I really wanted to comb today.:cyclops:
    rainshower wrote: »

i don't plan to change anything. if it ain't broke . . .

my routine for some time has been:

1. scalp-cleansing once weekly (usually on saturday night). my hair gets clean enough while rinsing. i finger-dry-detangle prior to cleansing, finger detangle while shampoo is in, and finger detangle after applying the rinse-out conditioner. this means very little effort when it's time to finish up with the more thorough detangling with my denman d41 brush.

2. between shampoos (usually on wednesday), i'll do a plain-water scalp rinse, massaging with my fingers to work up sebum, product oils, sweat, dust, etc. i follow with my conditioner, finger detangling before rinsing. i don't use the denman mid-week. if i have mid-week itchies, i have cleansed my scalp with a dilution of baking soda and warm water (approx. 1 tbsp bs to 2 cups water). fortunately, i don't have to do this often.

3. twice weekly after cleansing my scalp, i'll apply jojoba oil to sections of my still very damp and detangled hair. then i twist it into two giant pocahantas 2-strands.

4. i sleep with my hair wrapped in a satin scarf that i got from walmart. it's designed in a shape that molds one's head and with 2 ties already formed (it's not a square-shaped piece of satin). especially on damp hair, wearing this scarf for even 15 minutes will create waves on my hair. after wearing it overnight, my waves are defined all the next day and longer.

5. i use unrefined shea butter as a styling gel. literally a lentil size amount, emulsified and smoothed onto my damp hair (or hair that i've wet with my hands) will "glue" any halo fuzz down. and if i tie my hair down with my scarf afterward, the fuzz will blend into the waves all day.

6. aubrey organics. i like different ones for different reasons. but the ones that my hair and scalp like are: GPB sham/cond, JAY sham/cond, and rosa mosqueta sham/cond. i always use the matching sets and get great results. normally, i switch up as the seasons change. i'm really enjoying the GPB during this cold fall/winter.

7. every 2 months, i clip 1/4" from my ends, whether they look like they need a trim or not. at this time, i also do a neutral henna (rainbow brand) that i leave on for at least an hour. this leaves my hair shiny beyond belief that lasts from one application to the next. i have naturally dusty-brown hair that, without the treatment, always looks matte.

9. in the rare instance that i flat-iron my hair, i use ic fantasia's heat protectant in the rosy-reddish bottle. i flat iron in sections with a conair flatiron with temp. control, and my hair gets bone straight and lasts days without me having to reapply heat. the protectant works because my hair reverts instantly in contact with water. again this is a rare style. this past thanksgiving was my first time in a few years wearing my hair straight.

10. that's it! this has been working for me for over a year, and my scalp and hair seem to respond very well to it.

hmmm...I think I'm going to give scalp only another go. I will put my hair in 4 big twists or plaits on sat. and use my diluted mix on my scalp and slather conditioner on the length. I just got a new comb from hairsense (#255) 5-tooth detangler that I will try. It is the largest tooth detangler I have ever seen. It might change my mind about evil combs.:roll: I also do water rinses mid-week. It sure does move the sebum and makes the hair shine. I have not co-washed since summer.

thanx again ladies
  • foxycus02foxycus02 Posts: 918Registered Users
    Ughh I want to chime in. Ive been so busy lately: moved into a new home + holidays = overload.
    I read some of the posts and two things caught my eye:
    SBB, flat ironing her hair. I think it would look great. So diva with your trish mcevoy gloss/lipstick shade that I fell in love with but havent managed to search for.
    The second thing...curlynikki not using a comb in 6 months. wOWZERS! I think I heard my crown laughing at me when I read that.

rockin' to the tune of her own beat...

comic-p.jpg
    foxycus02 wrote: »
    Ughh I want to chime in. Ive been so busy lately: moved into a new home + holidays = overload.
    SBB, flat ironing her hair. I think it would look great. So diva with your trish mcevoy gloss/lipstick shade that I fell in love with but havent managed to search for.
    The second thing...curlynikki not using a comb in 6 months. wOWZERS! I think I heard my crown laughing at me when I read that.
    lol. I missed that. I also read today on another forum a member saying that she hasn't combed in a year. Ya'll have some strong Will-Power. I hope to be there one day. I'm kidda assuming that they do finger comb sometimes?
  • curlynikkicurlynikki Posts: 2,420Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    lol. I missed that. I also read today on another forum a member saying that she hasn't combed in a year. Ya'll have some strong Will-Power. I hope to be there one day. I'm kidda assuming that they do finger comb sometimes?

You'd be amazed at what the right conditioner can do for your tangling issues. I use to use a denman (shredded my hair) or a wide tooth comb (pointless) to detangle. Now that I use a conditioner with excellent slip, my hair detangles itself and I use my fingers as a comb to get stubborn ones out. I detangle every time I wet my hair, which is like 3 times a week...sometimes 4. Here's what I do:

1. Get in the shower and load my hair up with LOTS of conditioner (cheapie). I don't detangle...I just slather it on and twist up each section as I go. In the end, I have a center part with 2 twists up front and 2 in the back.
    2.Shower, shave, etc.
    3.Take down one section and apply a little more conditioner and detangle from the bottom up. Rinse that section and apply your GOOD conditioner. Twist back up and move to the next section.
    4. Repeat with all sections until all 4 sections are detangled, rinsed and twisted back up with good conditioner.
    5. Finish showering
    6 . Rinse in twists.

When I get out, I apply my products to one section at a time.

That's it :D The 4 fat twists keeps my hair from getting all tangly again. Works like a charm ;)
    curlynikki wrote: »

You'd be amazed at what the right conditioner can do for your tangling issues. I use to use a denman (shredded my hair) or a wide tooth comb (pointless) to detangle. Now that I use a conditioner with excellent slip, my hair detangles itself and I use my fingers as a comb to get stubborn ones out. I detangle every time I wet my hair, which is like 3 times a week...sometimes 4. Here's what I do:

1. Get in the shower and load my hair up with LOTS of conditioner (cheapie). I don't detangle...I just slather it on and twist up each section as I go. In the end, I have a center part with 2 twists up front and 2 in the back.
    2.Shower, shave, etc.
    3.Take down one section and apply a little more conditioner and detangle from the bottom up. Rinse that section and apply your GOOD conditioner. Twist back up and move to the next section.
    4. Repeat with all sections until all 4 sections are detangled, rinsed and twisted back up with good conditioner.
    5. Finish showering
    6 . Rinse in twists.

When I get out, I apply my products to one section at a time.

That's it :D The 4 fat twists keeps my hair from getting all tangly again. Works like a charm ;)

Ok, I finally get it. lol. :wink: I am going to finger comb instead of using a comb. thanks so much ladies.
    so curlynikki are you in the shower for like an hour? :wink:

seriously i like the idea of not combing...i guess i don't really comb except when i do two strand twists...when i do those i comb the hair then twist...but i've been doing those a lot less lately...hmm...i think you're on to something with letting the conditioner "sit" on the hair for a while before finger detangling...i need to give myself more time before i have to get ready so i won't have to rush through my shower. the steam and conditioner of the shower is great for your hair.
  • runrunrunnerrunrunrunner Posts: 196Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    my regimen will consist of:

+cleansing (conditioner/baking soda)/deep conditioning (kenra mc) once a week
    +moisturizing (mix of kenra mc/s-curl) 3x a week and baggying daily
    +aphogee hardcore treatments when needed
    +leaving my hair alone more often
    +staying in protectives

staying on track this year.
    sticking w/ what works for me.

i'll probably wear my hair out a tiny bit more in the spring/summer
    but i'll still be covered up most of the time
  • WOAH.hairWOAH.hair Posts: 23Registered Users
    nothing really

smoothing serum

shampoo =/ yikes i know

It's pretty much the same.

Saturday : Shower.. come out put in deep conditioner and leave in all night (under a shower cap)

Sunday: morning-- wash it out(the deep conditioner).. spray a leave in conditioner.. detangle with a wide tooth comb.. apply and scrunch in mouse.

Monday-Friday : shower..spray a leave in conditioner.. detangle with a wide tooth comb.. apply and scrunch in mouse = ]

thats it.

i use a VO5 leave in and tresemme flawless mousse

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file