What about body skin care? Special routines?

Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Registered Users Posts: 1,834 Curl Connoisseur
It seems like there's been so much on caring for our faces as we age. I was curious as to whether anyone does the same with their bath/shower routines-non-detergent washes, special scrubs, oils, lotions...I have been going through a sugar scrub phase:love7:-probably use them more often than required...and I'm very happy with my 100% hemp oil and hemp body cream, and love my self-tanner...just wondering if anyone has special tips or products they would like to share...? Happy Friday, everyone!:smile:

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Being an oily-skinned person, I've just never required any special treatment for body skin. I don't get dry anywhere, so I don't need to lotion-up with anything. Detergents and soaps don't seem to bother me either. I usually use just a cheap castile bar soap to wash with, cheap hair conditioner to shave with, and that's it.
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Registered Users Posts: 8,792 Curl Neophyte
    As soon as I'm done with the stash I have left from a Bath & Body Works semi-annual sale this past June, I'm going to invest in a bottle each of the Caress Moroccan & J-A-Panese (I included dashes in case the ultra sensitive sensor doesn't like that word :P) body washes.

There are a couple more "drugstore" types I want to try, but I forgot who the makers are & what the product is called. I'd know them if I saw them again.

I need the ultra moisturizing ones anymore due to prickly itchy burning patchy dry shins & calves lately. Actually, this has been going on for several years. It gets much worse in the winter.

Additionally, after my 30 lb weight loss, I noticed a bunch more purple & red spider veins, & varicose veins where there weren't any before. Huh. I wonder if the pitting edema of my lower legs goes hand-in-hand with this & the dry shins/calves. :?
  • kcurlskcurls Registered Users Posts: 205
    I tend to just use Jergens 7 gallons for a dollar type products, but in the past year I have added a couple of things to my arsenal

Lotion with lactic acid works well on my dry upper arms and elbows - I get a big bottle of AmLactin at Costco.

I am also obsessed with my dry and callusy feet, so I slather on Miracle of Aloe Foot treatment and wear cotton socks to bed a couple of times a week. (This, combined with the conditioning bonnet on my head, really puts in me in the mood for l'amor)

Unfortunately, I have recently also been studying my decolletage. I read an article in which experts guessed how old a women was based on several factors, and one of them was the skin on her chest/cleavage. My occasional forays into low cut shirts reveal to the world freckles and stretch marks galore. I may have to just force to just let this one go.
    3A - fine, just above shoulder length, w/red color and highlights.

Product: Suave Coconut leave in, Joico Joiwhip mousse, Angell or F/X Curl booster on wet hair. Sometimes rotate in ReCoil/CK.

Routine: Scrunch with cloth diapers, then use Shellynot's clipping method. Diffuse a bit without touching hair. Leave clips in at least half and hour. Remove clips and air dry.

Day 2: Pineapple, no product.

DT once a week with DevaCare OneC

ALSO:
    "I got a crush on Obama."
    kcurls,

I'll see if I can find my thread on the non-hair board about my dry feet. It has a lot of info on it.:toothy7:http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=33553

I found out the brand of the other body cleanser I want to try... Tone!
  • KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Registered Users Posts: 1,048
    I'm more of a "keep it simple" person. Even though I've got loads of B&BW stuff on my cabinets (gifts from years past), I prefer to use the Suave Shampoo as a body wash (whatever scent conditioner I use on my hair--I use the matching shampoo for my body). I use the exfoliating gloves every Saturday morning and, after I'm done washing my body, I wash the walls of the shower (also with Suave shampoo) and kill two birds with one stone. It works great! Then, instead of towel drying, I squirt baby oil on my wet wash rag and "dry off" by rubbing baby oil all over my body. It saves from having more towels to launder.
    After I get out of the shower, I slather vaseline all over my feet (the Lavendar and Chamomile scented stuff from CVS) and put my cotton booties on while I get ready. Between the baby oil and vaseline, I don't really need other body creams. I have to say, though, my fingernails and toenails have never looked better since I've been using so much vaseline. I think it helps moisturize them and they've stopped splitting.

ETA: Also once a week I plug the drain while I shower and soak my feet while I shower. Then scrub them with a pumice stone and push back the cuticles before applying vaseline. I haven't needed a professional pedicure in years since I've been doing this.
    KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.
    Karen,

The closest Walgreen's has been out of the lavender-chamomile "Vaseline" for the longest time so I bought a tub of the baby powder from Dollar Tree. It has a nice long lasting scent! I use the cotton booties at night with the remaining tube of Kerasal since I just used up the last of my Burt's Bees. I'll start on the "Vaseline" next.

I use a body oil on my lower legs while they're still wet. I read somewhere that for lotion, cream & oil to work their best at moisturizing, to put it on damp skin.

But I'd have to apply the stuff to feet & shins two or three times daily to get to where you're at.

I think I'm going back to Dollar Tree for a set of the exfoliating gloves just for cleaning the shower! Thank you so very much for the tips!
  • KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Registered Users Posts: 1,048
    lazy loops wrote: »
    Karen,

The closest Walgreen's has been out of the lavender-chamomile "Vaseline" for the longest time so I bought a tub of the baby powder from Dollar Tree. It has a nice long lasting scent! I use the cotton booties at night with the remaining tube of Kerasal since I just used up the last of my Burt's Bees. I'll start on the "Vaseline" next.

I use a body oil on my lower legs while they're still wet. I read somewhere that for lotion, cream & oil to work their best at moisturizing, to put it on damp skin.

But I'd have to apply the stuff to feet & shins two or three times daily to get to where you're at.

I think I'm going back to Dollar Tree for a set of the exfoliating gloves just for cleaning the shower! Thank you so very much for the tips!

I'm the Queen of laziness (and cheapness) so I look for every time-saving/energy saving trick that I can find. It took me at least 6 months to loose the dry cracked heals and I used to use it morning and night, but now, my feet look as though they've been professionally groomed all of the time. I swear, my fingernails have never been longer or stronger. I've actually had to start filing them down 'cause they get too long. I used to never be able to grow them. I'm also taking the GNC Ultrnourish vitamins --that might also have something to do with it.

Did you find the cotton gloves?
    KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.
    I've been taking my own concoction of herbal supplements & vitamins since October, I think. I don't know if there's been any change in nails, skin or hair.

I bought two pair of the cotton gloves & two pair of the cotton booties. It took only 3 days for Dollar Tree to sell out of the gloves & there aren't many booties left either! I went back today for a third pair. :(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file