Giving up your favorite indulgence?

SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
If you had to give up one "indulgence" or favorite thing now- what would it be?
Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• SisaSisa Posts: 759Registered Users
    Not "sweets" in general, but chocolate, specifically. Man, I love that mess! :twisted:
  • MzShvyMzShvy Posts: 121Registered Users
    Meat. I am a carnivore. :twisted: I could eat a big juicy steak every meal. Beer would be a tough one, too. KC Strip and a Bud Light. Life doesn't get much better than that.
    MzShvy

"If we get a little crazy, blame it on the alcohol." Pat Green
  • CostenyaCostenya Posts: 520Registered Users
    Dairy--particularly yogurt and ice cream (I don't drink milk). I'm severely allergic to dairy. And, I've decided to give it up once and for all. :cry:
  • LadydncingLadydncing Posts: 964Registered Users
    Coffee! I love coffee. My New Year's Resolution was to give up
    meat and I had no problem giving it up.
    However, take away my coffee and there's going to be problem. :evil:
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl
    Password: Locks

event.png
  • mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    I had to put down dairy, because I've already entirely given up the other things on the list.

I don't really have a driving urge for now to give up the dairy, though.

M

ETA: Okay - I lied - I mis-read caffeine as coffee - I still drink Green Tea.
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• WavyWendyWavyWendy Posts: 138Registered Users
    Chocolate!! LOVE Chocolate!!! But, I have already given it up.... Chocolate contains caffine - and I am breast feeding - so no more chocolate until I am done breast feeding.... But when I am done..... I may just bathe in chocolate ;)

:)
    Wendy
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    all sugar because I already tried that and it sucked. I was not a happy person.
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My sodie pop though it's diet & caffeine-free, & :oops: my cigs. Once I get rid of the cola, which I've been weaning myself from the last couple days, it shouldn't be hard to dump the smokes 'cause for me the two go together.

Acid reflux & weight gain are the main reasons I'm trying to cut the cola out of my 'diet'.
  • mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    LibbyLiz wrote:
    My sodie pop though it's diet & caffeine-free, & :oops: my cigs. Once I get rid of the cola, which I've been weaning myself from the last couple days, it shouldn't be hard to dump the smokes 'cause for me the two go together.

Acid reflux & weight gain are the main reasons I'm trying to cut the cola out of my 'diet'.

Quitting smoking did wonders for my acid reflux!

Between that and losing weight, it's gone!

Yay for you on both counts!

M
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• MizKerriMizKerri Posts: 1,701Registered Users
    I don't smoke cigarettes so that's out already. Meat would be easiest to give up I think, since I eat a largely vegetarian diet already. For me, the hardest would be alcohol. I am cutting down but seriously I probably drink either a beer or glass of wine almost daily. Trying to limit to weekends. Mostly. :)

If a news story breaks and no one on the Internet comments, did it really happen?
  • DayzieDayzie Posts: 233Registered Users
    Sweets it is for me. I looooooove chocolate, and most candies. Love gummy candies, and anything sour.

Dairy comes in a close 2nd though. I like cheese way too much, and ice cold glass of fat free milk is very good too. Also like yougarts, and ice cream.
    "You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing."

"There is so much good in the worst of us and so much bad in the best of us, it hardly behooves any of us to talk about the rest of us."
  • carpediem933carpediem933 Posts: 8Registered Users
    MzShvy wrote:
    Meat. I am a carnivore. :twisted: I could eat a big juicy steak every meal. Beer would be a tough one, too. KC Strip and a Bud Light. Life doesn't get much better than that.
    Do you think it is a mid-west thing? Or maybe just a KS/MO thing? I would have a hard time giving up my steaks and Bud Light (since the two often go hand-in-hand around here). Glad I am not alone!
    *He don't see ugly through blood shot eyes*

*A man is as good as he has to be, and a woman is as bad as she dares.*

*Usually, if you're calling any shots at all, you're not eating worms.*
  • CherishCherish Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    This is the first time I've really had to think about a poll. The answer seemed obvious at first but then I realized I was fooling myself :lol: I love everything on that list (except the cigs - don't smoke), and each would be tough to give up, but caffeine would be toughest.
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    Sweets, of course. Specifically baked goods...more specifically MY baked goods.

Geez, I get the shakes just thinkin' about it. :oops:
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • lazykerrilazykerri Posts: 650Registered Users
    I'm also a carnivore! Carpe carnem (seize the meat!)

I don't smoke, don't drink much or often. I wouldn't want to do without dairy or any of those other things though. I'm not good at that willpower thing :)

I did stop eating beef once. That was really hard. I was in Seattle when they had a mad cow disease scare in that area, and had just had a big juicy cheeseburger! I was scared to death that I would get vCJD (which is what humans supposedly get from eating mad cow). Then I saw a piece by Penn and Teller on their Showtime series BullS*** (great show by the way) where they pointed out the connection hadn't been proven. I did some research of my own, which backed this up. That first steak was heaven!

Take care,

Kerri
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ Always naturally lazy and curly! ~

Photo album password: curly
    Blog: lazykerri.wordpress.com
    Curl Type: 3a Fii
    Current Favorites:
    • Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner
    • Jessicurl Confident Coils
    • Rockin Ringlets, and
    • Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I selected sweets too. I don't smoke, and could easily go w/o alcohol, don't eat that much meat, nor do I need caffine. A close second to sweets would be dairy. I love cheese, yogurt and ice cream.

I'm surprised more people didn't select cigarettes- unless the smokers didn't vote in the poll :wink:
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
    I selected dairy because you are not taking my cheese!!! Put it down slowly and back away! That's good, now turn and run for your life!

Um....anyway, I have been caffeine free for over a decade and a few months ago I had to give up WHEAT. Wheat is what has been causing my horrible headaches, among other less discussable symptoms. I don't smoke; I don't drink much - so giving that up would not be hard. Man what I wouldn't give for some homemade bread with roasted garlic and imported parmesean cheese. It's a sickness, I know.
    ________
    My green heaven ministry in millbrae
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yea, I should have included a breads/pasta group - that would have been tied with my dairy for second place. Luckily I seem to work well with carbs :lol:
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    I can't decide! Sweets of course, no wait, dairy because I love cheese... no, wait, meat, because there's nothing better than tacos and bratwurst and a big juicy steak. No, wait, sweets! No, wait...

Go about your business people, this could take a while. :roll:
    Minneapolis, MN
  • CurlsWannaHaveFunCurlsWannaHaveFun Posts: 251Registered Users
    Definitely sweets based on that list. Everything else I have given up before or never did in the first place. Second would be dairy solely for cheese because though soy cheese can be palatable it's just not the same.
    4a with 3c patches/LOIS daughter O/S spongy fine, natural since 1999

Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence.
    - Vince Lombardi
    For everyone claiming they can and have given up caffeine, are you including green tea, black teas, and for the soda drinkers coke and pepsi?
  • DeCurloDeCurlo Posts: 28Registered Users
    I cannot have dairy but there is no way I can give it up completely. There is no way I am completely giving up mozzarella cheese or anything Italian that contains it.
  • pacammipacammi Posts: 206Registered Users
    :oops: *blushing as she hides her krispy kreme doughnut behind her back* :oops:
    CGNYC wrote:
    Oh y'all, that's just her crazy showing.
    Trenellm wrote:
    I guess lying on my back, in the middle of a studio, breathing and making vowel sounds for an hour for two years paid off. :)
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Definatly Dairy!!!!! I couldn't imagine going without milk, cheese & yogurt :shock:

I'm really surprised sweets is so far in the lead. When I first read the poll I would have thought it would be somewhere in the middle, maybe near the top, but definatly not so far in the lead.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • curlymelcurlymel Posts: 359Registered Users
    Definitely chocolate. I love it. Lucky for me, I have had less desire for it since being pregnant, so maybe I can officially break my daily habit! But I still get waves of choclolate cravings from time to time.
    Type 3a/3b, fine/medium hair, modified CG since 12/2003, Using CHS Curl Keeper, Bioterra gel, Ojon, Elucence
    http://public.fotki.com/curlymel/ Password: curls
  • Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    Cherish wrote:
    For everyone claiming they can and have given up caffeine, are you including green tea, black teas, and for the soda drinkers coke and pepsi?

Yup, I've given it up completely in the past, for weeks at a time, but I always end up having a diet soda. Right now I regularly drink 1 diet pepsi with lunch during the weekdays, and that's the only caffeine I have. No coffee, not tea of any kind.

I voted alcohol. I like to go out to bars with my friends, and I don't think I would have fun doing that with them if I gave up alcohol. So it wouldn't just be giving up an item, it would be giving up a whole source of entertainment, and even partially a lifestyle.

I've given up sweets before, too. I used to be a total sweets addict. Now I eat sweets probably about once a month. Now I count fruit (berries) as sweets, which I eat probably about once a week. Although at the moment I am seriously craving carrot cake.

Giving up dairy would be an inconvenience, but I could manage. I'd like to say I could give up mean (I only eat poultry and fish anyway), but I think I would get serious cravings.
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • Rastacurl RevisitedRastacurl Revisited Posts: 104Registered Users
    Cherish wrote:

Um, yeah. Anyone with half a brain knows that those beverages contain caffeine :shock:
    Supernappy, superbad, "when are you gonna put a relaxer up in that mess?"shrinking breaking TYPE 5 hair that - against all the odds - is growing quite long :)
    Who Me? wrote:
    Cherish wrote:

Yup, I've given it up completely in the past, for weeks at a time, but I always end up having a diet soda. Right now I regularly drink 1 diet pepsi with lunch during the weekdays, and that's the only caffeine I have. No coffee, not tea of any kind.

I voted alcohol. I like to go out to bars with my friends, and I don't think I would have fun doing that with them if I gave up alcohol. So it wouldn't just be giving up an item, it would be giving up a whole source of entertainment, and even partially a lifestyle.

I've given up sweets before, too. I used to be a total sweets addict. Now I eat sweets probably about once a month. Now I count fruit (berries) as sweets, which I eat probably about once a week. Although at the moment I am seriously craving carrot cake.

Giving up dairy would be an inconvenience, but I could manage. I'd like to say I could give up mean (I only eat poultry and fish anyway), but I think I would get serious cravings.

Therein lies my point. I was automatically going to click on sweets, my biggest indulgence, but when I gave it some thought I realized it's caffeine. No matter what, I will always come back to caffeine.

I have mostly green and black teas, and sometimes a frou frou coffee drink - which helps (coffee) to keep me locked into dairy :?
    rastacurl wrote:
    Cherish wrote:

Um, yeah. Anyone with half a brain knows that those beverages contain caffeine :shock:

Well, I'm glad your half brain knows :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file