Ring Sling or Mei Tai?

fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I need a new carrier for Harry and I'm torn between the above choices. Anyone have experience they could share?

FWIW, I used the Moby wrap until recently plus a more structured Snugli, but he has gotten too big to be comfortable in either. I'm looking at the BabyHawk Mei Tai and the Maya Wrap padded ring sling.

Thanks!
Hair type: 3A/B
I lurk, therefore, I am.
My Blog

Comments

• mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    i'd definitely go for the mei tai. i've been doing a lot of research on them, and it seems like the mei tai will be much easier on your back and it seems more 'user friendly' and better liked.

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'd definitely go with the mei tai. I have an Ellaroo MT and a Babyhawk, and I'm really liking both, although the Ellaroo is slightly more comfy for me right now. I actually have Dylan in it right now. :) I have a feeling the babyhawk will be better as he gets bigger and heavier though. I've never tried a Maya Wrap, but I have a pouch and a ringsling (Zolowear) too, and those seem to put more strain on my back. Also, mei tai's can be used for back carries, so they're a better long term investment. On the baby wearer forums, I've seen people who carry their 3-year-old's in mei tai's. And it's lots of fun to design your own custom babyhawk, if that's what you're planning on doing.

fuzzbucket - Until what weight was the Moby comfortable for you? I've got a moby and a non-stretchy wrap that I really need to try one of these days, but I'm slightly intimidated by all the fabric.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Bailey: Harry and I LOVED the Moby. It really helped settle him down. We took walks in it, shopped, everything. It really isn't too hard. The thing that got me is that it is hard to put on outside without getting it dirty. That is tricky in the winter here. Also, Harry is really tall for his age (almost 30 inches at 5 months!) so it was hard for me being so short.

I just went online and bought a BabyHawk. I figured that my DH would use that more than a sling. I may buy a waterproof sling in the summer, though. I'll report back when it arrives. I can't wait!
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    I hear ya on the moby being rediculously long. I just fold it in half and wear Lex on my back using the moby or even just a simple guatamalan shawl. It does take some practice, but I haven't found a need as yet to purchase a mei tai sling.

If you go to the baby wearer's site or even jut google, you should be able to find some videos on wearing a baby on your back using a sling or a long piece of material.

The key is making sure the material is spread wide across your body and especially your shoulders.
    hello.world.
  • Mamacurl3Mamacurl3 Posts: 1,559Registered Users
    definitely mei tai, though I love hotsling pouches too
    Type: 3a/3b, fine-medium
    Cleanse: hg:whispering windz farm jar soaps,
    Moisture/Co rinse: GVP conditioning balm
    DT: Jessicurl's dt
    Leave in: KCKT
    Definition: kccc
    Hold: rotating: gvp liquid scuplting gel
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    http://s722.photobucket.com/albums/ww223/mamacurl7/
    "My father says almost the whole world's asleep...He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant, total amazement."
    Traveling? http://katiebutton.rovia.com/
    Mamacurl3 wrote: »
    definitely mei tai, though I love hotsling pouches too

My little one never liked the cradle position. He loves being upright, preferable facing out to the world, but he will nap if he faces me. I'm getting impatient for my BabyHawk to arrive!
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • Mamacurl3Mamacurl3 Posts: 1,559Registered Users
    Fuzz, I've always done what I call a reverse kangaroo hold in the pouch, when they are small enough to fit that way. You basically just frog their legs up and put them in as you would a tummy to tummy but keep their legs in, neither of my kiddos were fond of the cradle either. With this baby, she got too big for the reverse kangaroo, so I would pull out the leg that was on the same side where the pouch went over my shoulder and would extend the other leg inside the pouch where it dropped near my hip...if that makes any sense. GL with your babyhawk...I love mei tais! Just wore my little stinker in a rucksack carry on the treadmill yesterday LOL She loves it and I get a workout !

Just peeked at your blog and noticed you are a tea drinker too...love love tea! Just sipped down a very nice Darjeeling, I just might be an Assam girl turned Darjeeling....maybe;-)
    Type: 3a/3b, fine-medium
    Cleanse: hg:whispering windz farm jar soaps,
    Moisture/Co rinse: GVP conditioning balm
    DT: Jessicurl's dt
    Leave in: KCKT
    Definition: kccc
    Hold: rotating: gvp liquid scuplting gel
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    http://s722.photobucket.com/albums/ww223/mamacurl7/
    "My father says almost the whole world's asleep...He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant, total amazement."
    Traveling? http://katiebutton.rovia.com/
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    fuzzbucket wrote: »
    I'm getting impatient for my BabyHawk to arrive!

Did you get a custom? Those can take a while, unfortunately. What colors did you order?
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
    Bailey422 wrote: »
    fuzzbucket wrote: »
    I'm getting impatient for my BabyHawk to arrive!

Did you get a custom? Those can take a while, unfortunately. What colors did you order?

No, I got an in stock one. Chocolate straps with a turquoise/gold/brown kind of pattern on front. I thought it would be boyish enough, but pretty for me to enjoy. I think they said it would be mailed within 3-5 business days. I may have it by early next week, if that is the case. :occasion9:
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    for versatility & portability you can't beat a ring sling or even a pouch. I loved my mei tai it's just not as easy to stuff into my purse as a pouch or RS. I like thin material for RS but something strong (so silk or even a lightweight linen, canvas, etc.).
    My BabyHawk came tonight! :blob7: It is super easy to use and very comfortable. Plus, it's purty. :toothy7:I'm very happy so far.

Marielle: I wish I could get Harry into a pouch. That was my intent before he was born, but he had other ideas. I'm hoping to use a sling in the water and hoping the novelty of the water will distract him from the whole "sling" aspect of it.
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file