Cracked Nipple

CurlieGlamourGirlieCurlieGlamourGirlie Posts: 1,198Registered Users
Hey. Hoping you guys have a magic fix. One of my nipples is cracked and sore. I stopped nursing on that side and am just pumping that side to relieve the engorgement.

Any surefire remedies?

Thanks!
3b (I think!)
HGs - Suave Nexxus Knockoff, Jessicurl Weekly DT, L'Oreal Out of Bed, HESMU.
http://public.fotki.com/CurlyGlamourGirlie
http://curlyglamourgirlie.blogspot.com

Comments

• cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    I only had sore nipple issues for the first 2 or 3 weeks with my first baby, so this information is almost 7 years old, but I seem to remember that expressed breast milk is helpful for healing cracked nipples.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Get some Lansinoh (lanolin) to put on the nipple between feedings. Don't stop nursing, but do position the baby differently when nursing on that side. Just having the tongue in a different spot will help tremendously. You should be alternating how you position the baby at every feeding anyway. Try lying on your sides facing each other with the baby's head towards your feet.

Nipples crack from bad latch technique, so make sure the baby takes the whole nipple and as much of the areola as possible, in a wide mouth latch. If baby is just taking the nipple, the problem will just continue.
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Get some Lansinoh (lanolin) to put on the nipple between feedings. Don't stop nursing, but do position the baby differently when nursing on that side. Just having the tongue in a different spot will help tremendously. You should be alternating how you position the baby at every feeding anyway. Try lying on your sides facing each other with the baby's head towards your feet.

Nipples crack from bad latch technique, so make sure the baby takes the whole nipple and as much of the areola as possible, in a wide mouth latch. If baby is just taking the nipple, the problem will just continue.

I agree with the above.

I had a bunch of problems with my first. But I noticed my nipples got tougher with each baby. That and I probably became more adept at helping the baby latch on correctly.

I have some funny pictures of my son with Lansinoh all over his face after a feeding. He looked like he'd just finished eating a greasy pork chop. :lol:
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    Soothies! Use them between feedings. I've seen them at lots of drug stores.

Also second the Lansinoh suggestion. I used it after every single feeding for the first few months.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Most of the above plus salt water soaks for my nipples plus letting my nipples fully air dry before putting my clothes back on.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • ninadefninadef Posts: 243Registered Users
    These suckers:wink: saved me 3 times!
    Scroll down to nipple protectors

http://www.aventamerica.com/products/breastfeeding/breastfeeding_accessories.asp

I used them for about 2 weeks, once after 2 weeks of crying while breastfeeding and twice from the getgo.
    Eventually my nipples got used toughened and I no longer needed them.
  • CurlieGlamourGirlieCurlieGlamourGirlie Posts: 1,198Registered Users

See, I wish the lactation consultant had talked to me about correct latching. They were just more involved with getting Luke on my breast at all, so I think we both developed some bad habits. On my non-cracked nipple, we make sure he's got his mouth open widely before he can latch on and I re-latch him if he's just got the nipple. He's quite the squirmer and very impatient - if he doesn't get the nipple right away he sticks his little mitt in there and I practically have to wrestle him. It seems as though the crack is healing quickly though.
    3b (I think!)
    HGs - Suave Nexxus Knockoff, Jessicurl Weekly DT, L'Oreal Out of Bed, HESMU.
    http://public.fotki.com/CurlyGlamourGirlie
    http://curlyglamourgirlie.blogspot.com
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Another vote for Lansinoh. I've been applying it after every feeding, and no damage so far although my nipples are pretty sore.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file