Manic Panic?!

wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
Has anyone tried the Manic Panic dye hard temporary hair color gels, or any other type of temporary hair color? Feel free to suggest a good one! I'm a dark brunette and I've been wanting to try some crazy colors that are natural on butterflies :wink: but damaging bleach and dyes just aren't going to touch my curls - besides, I don't want to make even a one-month commitment to a bright blue streak. A lot of temporary hair colors apparently only work for light hair, or flake off and stuff...anyone have recs? Also, if dye hard or anything else works well, where can it be purchased, preferrably IRL?

Thank you very much!!
OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:

Comments

• NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    Has anyone tried the Manic Panic dye hard temporary hair color gels, or any other type of temporary hair color? Feel free to suggest a good one! I'm a dark brunette and I've been wanting to try some crazy colors that are natural on butterflies :wink: but damaging bleach and dyes just aren't going to touch my curls - besides, I don't want to make even a one-month commitment to a bright blue streak. A lot of temporary hair colors apparently only work for light hair, or flake off and stuff...anyone have recs?

Thank you very much!!

I love that! I'd love to know if you find something, and if so what works. I'm going on The Rock Boat in January, and would love to have butterfly-colored hair for a week without having to have a month of it!
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    NetG wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the Manic Panic dye hard temporary hair color gels, or any other type of temporary hair color? Feel free to suggest a good one! I'm a dark brunette and I've been wanting to try some crazy colors that are natural on butterflies :wink: but damaging bleach and dyes just aren't going to touch my curls - besides, I don't want to make even a one-month commitment to a bright blue streak. A lot of temporary hair colors apparently only work for light hair, or flake off and stuff...anyone have recs?

Thank you very much!!

I love that! I'd love to know if you find something, and if so what works. I'm going on The Rock Boat in January, and would love to have butterfly-colored hair for a week without having to have a month of it!

Teehee, thanks! And I'll definitely let you know if I find something; I've been burning up the internet looking and finding practically nothing - apparently temporary hair color is one of the few things the internet doesn't have tons of sites about - but I'm thinking of trying an 8-10 washes kind of color from Hot Topic called Color Fiend. Although, I hate to say it probably won't cling too well to my dark hair.

But I am determined to find something!
    OMG, LOOK!!

• merrillinamerrillina Posts: 2Registered Users
    Now I haven't used manic panic, but if you don't lighten your hair first, the color won't be very visible no matter what. The only thing that would show up would be a very pigmented gel/spray, but your hair would be very crunchy when you use it.
    merrillina wrote: »
    Now I haven't used manic panic, but if you don't lighten your hair first, the color won't be very visible no matter what. The only thing that would show up would be a very pigmented gel/spray, but your hair would be very crunchy when you use it.

Yeah, the pigmented ones would be very crunchy, but I was thinking maybe I could straighten my hair and brush them through to diminish that aspect of their appearance. I'm glad I didn't get the color fiend colors - I'm sure they don't fit that definition.

Anyway, if you do know of a very pigmented temporary hair color product that would show up on dark hair (preferrably not a spray but I'm open to all suggestions) I would appreciate it! Thanks!
    OMG, LOOK!!

• JessyCatJessyCat Posts: 91Registered Users
    I'm sorry to say that no temporary color is going to show up bright on dark hair like the above poster said. You will have to bleach your hair to see a vivid color. Although using a veggie dye like Manic Panic or Special Effects can add a color tint if you use one that is a darker shade with heat for a long period of time - perhaps a red, burgundy, or purple.
    JessyCat wrote: »
    I'm sorry to say that no temporary color is going to show up bright on dark hair like the above poster said. You will have to bleach your hair to see a vivid color. Although using a veggie dye like Manic Panic or Special Effects can add a color tint if you use one that is a darker shade with heat for a long period of time - perhaps a red, burgundy, or purple.

Yeah, I have figured out that any of the eight to ten washes stuff is not what I want, since bleaching my hair is simply out of the question. Something that is more like a "paint" or even a spray is what I'm looking for - not looking for a semi-permanent effect or a week of color or anything like that, just some highly pigmented hair paint/gel/spray to use for one night. Or if there are some really good clip-in bright color streaks anyone can recommend, I'd love those as well.
    Anyone?
    OMG, LOOK!!

• riotkittyriotkitty Posts: 1,307Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    All the sprays and comb-ins tend to look flaky at best on dark hair. Your best bet is finding some clip-ons or extensions in the colors you are looking for. Or you can buy some blond extensions (this is probably best with human hair ones) and dye them the colors you want using Manic Panic or Raw hair color.
    Have several allergies and sensitivities.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
    Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
    Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
    Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.
  • Gina_BugGina_Bug Posts: 8Registered Users
    there's an idea! you can do the clip-ins. i actually used them for comic-con one year, to hold my hair back in a cool way (i straightened it) and if you position them just right, they actually look pretty real.....i had a couple people ask me where i got my hair done. i got them at a local beauty supply place, but i think you can get them at hot topic & spencers too....
  • PT_CudaPT_Cuda Posts: 329Registered Users
    If you use Manic Panic or Punky Color on your dark hair it will leave a darker tint on your curls. I used to use a dark purple all the time. It leaves a tint but not the bright shocking purple.

And if you do want to tint your hair the darker tones they make are you only choices since the light ones like violet or pink just won't show.

I do bleach my streaks out but I use the sneak up on it method, not bleaching to white blond but light enough that it will give the color I want. Less damage that way at least for me..

When they say use heavy lotion your skin and protect any surface they mean it!

With the color hair sprays I find them very dry and sticky, the color is bright but it holds like rock and the texture isn't very nice.
  • xxsecretlove00xxsecretlove00 Posts: 7Registered Users
    i have dark brunnette hair as well, and manic panic did NOTHING to my hair. i have yet to try color fiend, but the clip-ins are an awesome idea. on youtube there's a video about making your own, let me see if i can find it...

here we go: http://youtube.com/watch?v=vr3ENNw1VB4

basically i'd just buy a blonde extension weft and dye it with the manic panic. attach it to clips and you're ready to go. that way you'd have the exact color you want.
    2c/3a/3b/3c
    the strangest curl type in the world...

using: suave humectant condish, john frieda brilliant brunette condish, fantastix leave in condish, eco style styling gel, garnier spray gel, and soft and beautiful botanical oil.

loves: nothing yet..

wants: rockin' ringlets, arc angell, no-poo, one condition, CCSS, Re:coil...the list goes on and on!

PJ in the making...

i have dark brunnette hair as well, and manic panic did NOTHING to my hair. i have yet to try color fiend, but the clip-ins are an awesome idea. on youtube there's a video about making your own, let me see if i can find it...

here we go: http://youtube.com/watch?v=vr3ENNw1VB4

basically i'd just buy a blonde extension weft and dye it with the manic panic. attach it to clips and you're ready to go. that way you'd have the exact color you want.

Awesome, thank you, xxsecretlove00! Guess who's adding another project to her list?:toothy7:
    OMG, LOOK!!

• undertherainbowundertherainbow Posts: 1Registered Users
    Manic Panic is one of the worst temporary color products when you don't want to pre-bleach. Special Effects is by far the best. The darker colors are the best, so don't even try the lighter ones. Special Effects, when conditioned properly, will stay in your hair a few weeks with out fading then will slowly fade. Overall the color will last about 2-3 months. If you dont want to keep it in that long you can buy clarifying shampoo, which will take the color out very fast. If you just want to go to Sally's for Manic Panic, while your there pick up a product that makes your hair more porus, which will make it absorb the color easier. With both products there are no risks because they are vegitable based, so you can leave it in as long as you wish. I usually leave mine in all night, just wearing a cap to bed. Adding heat will also make them absorb easier. If you want it to last longer you can also add some of the dye to your conditioner which replenishes the color every time you condition.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file