Is it natural to.....

.....want to cut your hair down low (do a Big Chop) every so many NATURAL years? I know that folks with dread locs do a cleansing every so many years. I have that strong urge to cut my hair again. I like low maintainance hair. SOMEBODY STOP MEEE!!!!:shaking:

Comments

• curlywifecurlywife Posts: 198Registered Users
    I feel like it's your hair so you can do as you please. If you love your hair short with low maintenance, I say go for it. I love that look on women that can wear it. The only reason I let my hair grow out is because I did not look right with a low natural cut. I feel like my face is too big and round (I also wanted to try natural styles).

hth
    4a-Cute, Coily, Curly Afro When Dry
    DT-Aubrey Organics White Camellia & Yes to Cucumbers
    Moisturizer-Oyin Shea butter & Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade (my new love)
  • NeldaNelda Posts: 84Registered Users
    Well, Christie.. I do not think so.:wink: It depends on your personality. If you are a person of variety it is only natural. Some people are just naturally able to "stick" with it and be content with their natural hair w/o much change to it.
    Then again their are many reasons for why one would want to BC for the second, third or fourth time.
    One of the reasons I BCed for the third time was because of the condition of my hair. I was not happy with it, and it bothered me. I could not just let it continue to grow out in its unhealthy state, I felt it needed "cleansing" so I chopped it all off...:toothy7:

Besides girl, it's HAIR!!!! It will grow back.. I do like anything to have that much control over me..but thats just me..

But a word of caution..please think long and hard about your decision..b/c I am a spontaneous person and that def gets me into trouble. So if it has been on your mind for a while, then maybe it is what you really want and not some quick change.

You will figure it out.. :)

nel
    I have been natural for about 3yrs now. Recently cut all of it off in April/07, I know some may think I am crazy...but for those who don't me I am a girl of variety..I NEED CHANGE!

http://public.fotki.com/Nellybly18
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    oh im definetly like that!

i havent done the BC again, but i really really really want to again. i usually get like that every few months! i keep telling myself i want to try to grow my hair to BSL (if it will even grow that long), but i know i'll hate dealing with it if it ever gets that long. ive given myself 4 more years of growing my hair out...only because if i get married i want to have longer hair. and until i lose some weight, im not cutting anything!
  • curlicurli Posts: 857Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If it works for you honey, do it..
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Nelda wrote: »
    One of the reasons I BCed for the third time was because of the condition of my hair. I was not happy with it, and it bothered me. I could not just let it continue to grow out in its unhealthy state, I felt it needed "cleansing" so I chopped it all off...:toothy7:

Nelda, what happened to your hair that you needed to BC again? Just curious.

Osocristie, I say go for it! If it makes you happy then do it. Get a few inches cut off, if that doesn't bug you then cut it as short as you want. I already did the BC so my hair won't see scissors again for YEARS.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I say hang in there some more and see what happens. In natural hair growing there's a real tough length and that may be where you are. In the past I've BC'd out of relaxed hair or jhericurl frustration. If the need to BC is strong, nothing wrong with it.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • LovemylocksLovemylocks Posts: 766Registered Users
    I am a very impulsive person and I like change to come quickly. I love my hair short and have done the BC at least 3 times since going natural in 1995. What I can tell you right now is that I love the ease and convenience of being super short. But I grow weary of it after a few months and then INSTANTLY want long hair. Well, with naturally curly hair, it is not like that because of all the shrinkage. So, I hate the growing out process, so this time I am definitely sticking with the longer hair.

The next time I do a BC and sport the shorter doo, I will be much older in age, where convenience will be a necessity for me. For now I resist that urge and think about how I feel right now with only 7 inches or so of hair! UGH!!

So, think about it thoroughly before you take that type of plunge!
    3C s-curls, coils, and corkscrews

TIGI MM, QB AOHC, KCCC, MJ CM, MJ BBC, JC WDT, CD HM, CD MHH, DC OneC, Veg Glyc, and Jojoba oil.

http://members.fotki.com/gypsycurls/

http://www.ratedpink.com

prheart.gif
  • lovinmylocslovinmylocs Posts: 137Registered Users
    I feel the same way - especially this morning. Only I recently did the bc but I don't think I cut enough. This morning I had to resist the urge to take off another inch or two. LOL I say wait out a little bit - see if you feel the same way in a week or so. If you do, go for it!
    http://public.fotki.com/lovinmylocs/
    pass: nappy
    Scared of the big chop...nah - I chopped it off on 12.21.07
    I think I've found my HG and routine but I'm still looking for my hair twin.
    Hey twin are you out there...
    HG: Elucence MBS, VO5 Vitaburst - Grapefruit Mandarin Splash, Tigi Control Serum
    Products up for Audition: Jessicurl Too Shea, Ojon Restorative Hair Treatment and Re:Coil
  • motherearthamothereartha Posts: 355Registered Users
    i'm like lovemylocks. i've BCed 4 times since 1996. most of the time it was b/c i did something super crazy to my hair like dyeing it black for so many years and then deciding i wanted it lighter. you can't even imagine. everytime after i was tired of my natural hair i would relax it and wear it relaxed for exactly one month (which would remind me of how much relaxed hair sucks) and then BC again. i'm so hardheaded. i have to learn things the hard way. sometimes i cringe when i think how long my hair would be if could stop being so ADD when it comes to my hair. i still have'nt come to terms with looking the same everyday. i haven't BCed lately b/c my face is a little chunky but i have that itch too...i'm starting to get tired of messing with my hair.

do what makes you happy. it will grow back....
    thick, kinky, nappy, hair w/ dashes of curls
    pw: bearhair
  • natashamcknatashamck Posts: 434Registered Users
    I definitely feel you on this one. My hair is at that weird length where its not short enough to be low-maintenance, and not long enough to let it all hang out :afro:

I've been wanting to get a cute shorter cut (not BC length, just shorter than what I have) but then I go back to wanting BSL hair.

If you really don't want to do the BC again (or if you can't decide) then maybe you can try getting a different shape of haircut. I think that's what I'm going to do. Hopefully it will diminish the urge to chop my hair off.
    mostly coarse texture, normal porosity... I think?
    HG: Generic Matrix Biolage, KCCC, KCKT, CBSS WSHP
  • NeldaNelda Posts: 84Registered Users
    mariag002 wrote: »
    Nelda wrote: »

Osocristie, I say go for it! If it makes you happy then do it. Get a few inches cut off, if that doesn't bug you then cut it as short as you want. I already did the BC so my hair won't see scissors again for YEARS.
    Maria, my hair was in bad condition b/c I like a ding-dong put a texturizer in it :sad8:... I know pretty scary.. Yea, I grew my hair out for a full year naturally and then put that thing in my hair. Eventually it destroyed my hair. Never again though, I regretted in for so long, actually I still am. Anyway, I now have a better appreciation for my NATURAL curls. :toothy7:
    I have been natural for about 3yrs now. Recently cut all of it off in April/07, I know some may think I am crazy...but for those who don't me I am a girl of variety..I NEED CHANGE!

http://public.fotki.com/Nellybly18

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file