How do you detangle?

krwkrw Posts: 87Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Fingers, wide-tooth comb, Denman? If you use a comb or Denman, how often?

I've been using my fingers and I feel like I still have lots of knots. Could it be my conditioner or just my method?

Comments

• choconillaprincesschoconillaprincess Posts: 24Registered Users
    I usually use my fingers... but I do use my paddle brush if I'm gonna do a bun, twists, braids, etc... I usually wear a WnG or a puff so I don't stress over a few tangles I may have missed... of course I don't have a detangling routine like once a week or anything like that... I just detangle when I feel like it... that's why I think it wud have more negative effects on my hair if I used a comb or brush... When I use them I get really OCD!... I can't stop until there is not a tangle in sight!
    Wild and Beautiful biracial 3c curls...

Current length: APL
    Goal for the year: BSL
    Ultimate goal: WL
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use a good conditioner and a wide tooth comb. If you don't buy the right conditioner you'll be crying in pain LOL

Right now I will use either a tresemme conditioner or shea butter. I put alot of conditioner, then go under the shower to take some out, then I comb my hair from the bottom up. I don't use my fingers since the comb takes out all the knots. My hair isn't long so the comb does the job right the first time.

Conchillaprincess, I love your hair!
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• jeannie_bjeannie_b Posts: 73Registered Users
    I use a both my fingers and a wide-tooth comb. There is no way I could totally detangle my daughter's hair without a comb. It'd never happen. I have to use my fingers to detangle around the nape of her neck, though, because it's too painful to use a comb. :/

I misspoke in my other post - I'm currently using MopTops as a cheapo (it's not that cheap. lol) detangler and it's working great!
  • LadydncingLadydncing Posts: 964Registered Users
    I also use both. When it was short, just above the shoulder I never used the comb. With my new length, sometimes fingers are not enough.
    First I wet, add conditioner and detangle with my fingers and if necessary or if I am in a rush I use a comb.
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl
    Password: Locks

event.png
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    When I first get my hair wet, I start using my fingers to separate anything that is very tangled. Most of the time it is just the nape of the neck/underlayer. Actual detangling takes place with a wide tooth comb on wet hair with conditioner in it. This is done almost every day.
    3b-3c CG
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    During the co-washing with my fingers, then with a comb during rinseout conditioning. Sometimes the co-washing is the conditioning and I'll do both.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • curlycaramelcurlycaramel Posts: 472Registered Users
    the only time I can untangle with my fingers is if I've used BB cleansing conditioner, for some reason it just untangles my hair like nothing else.
    but every other time, I detangle upside down in the shower with soaking wet, conditioner full hair starting from the ends up. I couldn't not detangle every time i wash, I'd just look mess.
    Long thick curls, mix of 3b/3c
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i use a regular comb while my hair is still wet. but ive been known to detangle with a comb or a denman when my hair is dry too. i'll do it all!
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    the only time I can untangle with my fingers is if I've used BB cleansing conditioner, for some reason it just untangles my hair like nothing else.
    but every other time, I detangle upside down in the shower with soaking wet, conditioner full hair starting from the ends up. I couldn't not detangle every time i wash, I'd just look mess.
    BB is good for that, but you do need to condition after because of the witch hazel in the BB. Wen is also good for finger detangling and I have been frugal and mixed it with Suave or VO5; and no need to condition after. Grapeseed oil is nicely detangling as well.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • GuyanaGal718GuyanaGal718 Posts: 207Registered Users
    I use a denman brush. Its really good at de-tangling my hair. And i should be doing in twice a week, but I do it once a week. I'm going to try to get into a good hair routine.
    A 3b/3c/ curlicious combo with a sprinkle of 4a.
    The Big Chop August. 2006 :nike:
    Natural Diva since 2005.
    Tracklete Star!
  • curlycaramelcurlycaramel Posts: 472Registered Users
    BB is good for that, but you do need to condition after because of the witch hazel in the BB. Wen is also good for finger detangling and I have been frugal and mixed it with Suave or VO5; and no need to condition after. Grapeseed oil is nicely detangling as well.

Yes I still use a conditioner after, not sure if I really need to or if it's just in my head but I do it anyway.
    I would love to use suave but we don't have it over here in the UK and swear it was the suave that was making my head itch like mad last time I was in the US ( I was using the vanilla one)
    Long thick curls, mix of 3b/3c
  • krwkrw Posts: 87Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for all the great responses ladies. After reading your replies I tried detangling the other day with lots of conditioner and my wide tooth comb, and WOW, what a difference. It has been a good three months since I've detangled with a comb so the process took a good 15-20 minutes, but it was well worth it. My fingers easily slid through my hair afterwards, and ever since I haven't seen half as many curlies on the shower floor. I definitely won't go that long again without a proper detangling.
  • amoniquec83amoniquec83 Posts: 32Registered Users
    I love aussie forgetmeknot (or slipknot-I'm not sure what the new name is) detangler. It's the best that I've ever tried. I recommend it to any kinky/curly.

Amoniquec
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Amoniquec83--3c/4b zig zag banana curl crazyness ~~ Finally got ponytail lenght!
    habits:
    comb poo on Saturday's
    add Long Aid or Infusium 23 condish to dripping wet hair
    finger comb through to blend product
    twist into a ball to squeeze out water
    gently pat drippies with a towel
    age.png
  • FallOutCurlFallOutCurl Posts: 339Registered Users Curl Novice
    I use all three, not all at once of course but I use what ever I think will do the job. I use my fingers a lot more at the moment as my ends are fragile. I ususally use BB conditioners anyway which get out most if not all of the knots.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file