How should I deep condition 5-year-old's hair?

jeannie_bjeannie_b Posts: 73Registered Users
Just that one last question! I promise! :p

How often should I deep condition my daughter's hair? And what would you suggest is a good product/procedure for deep conditioning a little girl's hair?

Thanks. :)

I'm really really trying to get a handle on all these things while she is young so I can hand the reins to her when she is ready to care for her own hair. She loves her curls (hates the hassle, though) so I'm hoping she'll be a naturally curly girl for life.

Comments

• mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I deep condition my daughter's hair once a week. Her hair is very dry and thin, you can't tell because she has sooo much hair and its very long.

I use a few Dominican products, but this one is my favorite:

Miss Key Diez en Uno
    10en18xxoz.gif
    This one you can buy for around $11 on http://www.roundbrushhair.com

I also use Cantu Shea Butter on her because it soaks up the moisture and keeps her hair soft & manageable. I don't do any protein treatments on her hair yet because she's so little. If I feel she needs it in the future I'll consider it.

By the way, ask away and don't be shy. Your daughter is a cutie and we want her to stay a curly. Tell her she has no choice or you'll ground her :thumbdown: LMAO
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Brad Pitt was on Esquire magazine and this is his quote:

Carol's Daughter Hair Products: For white people who might be having a little trouble with black- person hair, Carol's Daughter is a fantastic hair product. We got it for Z. Now her hair has this beautiful luster. And it smells nice, too.I thought of you since you're trying to figure out your bi-racial daughter's hair. The website is http://www.carolsdaughter.com/departments.asp?dept=1043

The baby on the main page is so freakin adorable!
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I would use any good, short-acting (5-10 minutes) deep conditioner. Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesteral, Jessicurl Weekly Deep Treatment. These also will work under a heat cap if she has the patience.

You could also do a moisturizing/oil baggy of her ends overnight (check the hair routines album in my fotki for a photo and if you search for baggy or baggying there are some posts).

With the 2-3 times a week co-washing, oil rinsing and baggying, I haven't needed to do specific deep conditioning treatments other than a once a month protein followed by moisturizing.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • D_MarieD_Marie Posts: 150Registered Users
    I have a 5 year old also. I usually wash her hair first, then I put conditioner in her hair (whatever one I choose for that day...lol). I let it sit while she washes and plays etc. When she's ready to get out I rinse it.
    www.instagram.com/enliytenme
    3c/4a
    Shea Moisture JBCO shampoo
    Trader Joes Nourish Spa Conditioner
    Mielle Organics Protein Conditioner
    Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter (moisturizer)
    The Main Choice 3 in 1
    True by Made Beautiful leave in and hair butter
    Sweet almond oil
    As I Am Curling Jelly
    :toothy7:
  • Hairblogger â„¢Hairblogger â„¢ Posts: 564Registered Users
    jeannie_b wrote: »
    Just that one last question! I promise! :p

How often should I deep condition my daughter's hair? And what would you suggest is a good product/procedure for deep conditioning a little girl's hair?

Thanks. :)

I'm really really trying to get a handle on all these things while she is young so I can hand the reins to her when she is ready to care for her own hair. She loves her curls (hates the hassle, though) so I'm hoping she'll be a naturally curly girl for life.

---
    Co-Wash
    Aubrey organics honeysuckle Rose Conditioner

Shampoo
    Aubrey Organics Rosa Mosqueta Shampoo

Deep Treatment
    Honey!!!!
    Honey + Aubrey Organics Rosa Mosqueta Conditioner is great!
    (in Winter Honey + Aubrey Organics GPB Conditioner)

Clarifying (every 4-5th co/wash or rinse)
    Apple Cider Vinegar Spritz
    Baking Soda Scrub
    'Goddess Hair & Skin Recipe Book' devotee 4life!

Co-Wash: Aubrey O. HoneySuckleRose Cond.
    Poo: 1-2x ~monthly~ w/AO 'poo+Baking Soda
    DT: Honey + any Aubrey Condish
    Leave-Ins: Sheamoisture / RJML Cactus / KBBmilk!

[/COLOR]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file