What am I doing wrong?

Authoress26Authoress26 Posts: 8Registered Users
Hello,

It's been a long time since I posted here, but I was typed as a 3a by basically everyone. Early this year I got a really awesome haircut. The stylist totally knew what she was doing. My hair tends to just pouf out and be really big so she cut it in layers, without using a hair thinner, and made it bigger on top than on the sides. It worked really well and I don't think my hair was ever curlier. I went back to the same salon, but that stylist doesn't work there anymore and I got a really crappy cut by another lady. My hair doesn't cooperate anymore at all.
I'm planning to get another, hopefully better, haircut sometime next month. I've been told that I shouldn't use gels as my hair is already pretty dry and it's not right for my texture. I'm not on the CG routine in any way mostly because I think that I don't have enough money to afford buying a lot of shampoos online. Here is my current routine, which doesn't really work at all:
~ Have shower at night. Use shampoo and conditioner. I usually have to use Neutrogena T-Sal shampoo because I have a problem scalp. Comb hair after rinsing out conditioner and dry partway with microfiber towel.
~ Spread a couple of nickel-sized globs of Garnier Fructic Soft Curl Cream a couple of times through my hair. Coat fingers with more curl cream and twist certain strands of my hair into more curly formation(this part doesn't really work).
~ I pin the front of my hair up with 4 bobby pins and go to sleep on a regular pillowcase. In the morning, all the gel's hold has gone out of my hair and my hair is a frizzy, tangled mess. Sometimes I spray it down with just water and put some Suave Healthy Curls anti-frizz cream in, but the frizz always come back and the curls twist every which way.
Instead of having body in the areas where it should, my hair hangs limp, though still thick, and messy. I'm so frustrated with it that I wear my hair up every single day because it doesn't look good any other way. I was using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Rockin-Ringlets-Styling-Potion-p-100.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-rockin-ringlets]Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets[/buylink] or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Confident-Coils-Styling-Solution-p-116.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-confident-coils-styling-solution]Confident Coils[/buylink], I don't remember which one, and I put that on my hair and scrunched before applying the curl cream. That seemed to work really well some days, more often than this styling routine works. I think the reason why is that the Jessicurl product was a really thin consistency and almost more like an oil than a gel. The stylist who knew what she was doing said that curling products with almost an oil-like, liquidy consistency would work best for me to apply before the curl cream.
Anybody have any ideas of what I'm doing wrong? I don't have a satin pillowcase and don't plop my hair in a towel overnight. I do move around a lot in my sleep. I don't know if wearing clips would help keep the curl while I sleep or not. My curls are never very defined and I have frizz that can't be gotten rid of. Any new product suggestions would be nice as well. Thank you, and sorry for rambling. I'm just really frustrated with my hair right now because it looks bad all the time and I know that it can look really good if products work right.

Comments

• 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    How frustrating to have hair that looks wonderful for a long time and then have it...stop. And how annoying to find a wonderful stylist and then have her disappear. Did you ask where she went?

Sounds like you've already identified a lot of things that you could try differently. I would recommend switching to curl-friendly products. There's plenty that are available at drug stores. Some ideas to get you started: Suave or VO5 conditioners to C0-wash with. (I LOVE Suave Cucumber Melon CO). Lots of curlies also swear by Audrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose CO -available at Whole Foods and natural health stores; or different Trader Joe's CO. For a leave-in conditioner, try Garnier Fructis Curl & Shine leave-in. It does have the a-cone, but is water soluble. Non-cone drug store gels include: FX Curl-booster fixative gel, Herbal Essences gels - lots love Body Envy and/or Totally Twisted. A deep conditioner available at drug stores is the original Aussie 3- minute miracle (not the deeep).

Aside from products, you might consider plopping (if your hair is long enough), using a satin pillowcase (cheaper than silk and it still works, IMO) and combing your hair in the shower while the conditioner is still in it - and then not combing it afterwards.

Hope these ideas get you started. And good luck!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• shellynotshellynot Posts: 1,140Registered Users
    i second pretty much everything 2poodles said. Going cg was the best thing i've done for my hair, and all of my staples are things straight from the store (walmart, target, pretty much anywhere.) If you feel like going cg just seems like a lot of effort (which, it is at first, to make sure all the products you get are cg-friendly and getting used to it), then definitely try plopping overnight, and possibly use a little less product, because it sounds like your hair is getting weighed down. if you plop overnight, you definitely won't need quite as much product.

i highly recommend cg!!!

good luck whatever you choose!!
    2c/3a
    curl blog
    curl album

"Your head is like a crown on you.
    It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
    Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
    I am captured by your flowing curls."
    Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)

• Authoress26Authoress26 Posts: 8Registered Users
    Hey, thanks for all the information and advice, ladies. :) I've been doing some of my own research online about the Curly Girl method and I think I'm going to give it a try in about a week. I'm currently home on school break and I'm planning to buy all the products I'll need when I'm at school, which is a little over 100 miles away. I'll probably try either VO5 or Suave. I'd love to try the organic shampoo, but I don't know where the Trader Joe's is in my college city yet. I'll have to look around. The only exception to the CG routine is that my scalp has psoriasis, so I'll probably need to use a treatment shampoo on my scalp at least once a week. So anything that ends in 'cone is basically bad? I know some people also avoid sulfates as well. It's kind of confusing keeping track of it all. I don't have the book, but I looked at the sticky thread located in another area on this board. I hope that will be enough to get me started. I'm also planning to get a haircut as well. Re: my hairdresser, I called back to make an appt. with her for a 2nd time, an she's now working as an intructor at beauty school.

Is CO-washing recommended for every other day? That's how much I wash my hair right now. I actually don't think my hair is long enough to plop. It's a little above shoulder-length, and I'll be getting it cut soon. Do you think wearing clips in my hair would work to keep it less frazzled in the morning? I think my hair is too short for pineappling.
  • waffleswaffles Posts: 13Registered Users
    I also use the Neutrogena T-Gel Daily Control 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner due to scalp issues, however I also follow the shampoo with Garnier Fructis conditioner for curly hair because the conditioner in the T-Gel is not enough. I also put a leave-in treatment, Potion 9 before I apply the Garnier Soft Curl cream. I also add a little of the Loreal Out of Bed for extra hold and finish with some [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-Set-it-Free-p-259.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-set-it-free]Deva Set It Free[/buylink] to control frizz, then I diffuse partially. I have thick 3a hair and tried the curly girl method, but it did not work for me. It made my dry, flaky scalp worse and my hair was frizzier. I have been to see a dermatologist regarding my dandruff and she gave me a prescription treatment to treat the dandruff, but recommended the T-Gel on a weekly basis for maintenance. I have to use the T-gel every day. If my scalp is clear and I try to use a different shampoo, even a low lather one like the Jessicurl, my scalp will be flaky and itchy by the end of the day.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file