KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Dylan Alexander

Born December 19th 2:27 pm

9 lb 1 oz and 20 inches long

Here's a couple of pictures:
2128198272_a12f054579.jpg

2127420455_87f06553a5.jpg

2127420829_fdd51855da.jpg

The birth didn't go quite as "planned," but I'm still pretty happy with myself and my experience. I did end up getting an epidural and had my water broken, and the labor was 37 hours with 3 and a half hours spent pushing. I will post details when I have time. (whenever that will be...)

Dylan is doing great. He's quite a little chunka-munkey and didn't fit in his NB sized going home outfit. (I did bring a 3 month size backup.) He's been a little gassy but not too fussy considering. He's latching on great and nursing frequently, although he has a habit of falling asleep on me and waking up when I try to take my breast back. Overall, he's a pretty easy going baby, but he's still completely wearing me out. Everything takes SOOO long to do with a newborn that I barely have time to pee!
*Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin

Comments

• deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Woo hoo!! Way to go Bailey!!! Welcome little GATOR!!

he's beautiful

How are you feeling??
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Congratulations! Such a sweet baby!
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    Congratulations! He is adorable.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    :wav:
    Congratulations!!! What a cutie!
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Congratulations!!!

Looking at his perfect little head, I was certain you were going to say you had a C-section. He is beautiful and you look great too after such a marathon labour.
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Congrats!!
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • sundaysunday Posts: 535Registered Users
    Congratulations!
    3 something
    fotki pw: sunday
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    He's so cute, precious. What an adorable little fellow.
    2b/3a.
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    congrats!
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've been lurking to see this-he's beautiful---big & beautiful! Hope you're feeling well. Wishing you & your family all the best-what a wonderful holiday gift...
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    Congratulations! He is precious, and I'm glad to hear you are both doing well. :toothy7:
    ehLB.jpg
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Posts: 1,955Registered Users
    congrats what a pretty baby.. hope you're feeling well. enjoy this time it goes by fast
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You look damn good for 37 hours of labor! Oh, the baby is awfully cute too!

Enjoy him, and Congrats!
  • jcejce Posts: 512Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Congrats Bailey! He's a cutie!
    3b/c normally, 3a/b in the winter

• curlyclaudiacurlyclaudia Posts: 416Registered Users
    Congratulations!
    3b, modified CG, short inverted bob living in Central Jersey
    Current faves: no poo, HE Hello Hydration, ck, Shea Moisture, Mixed Chicks
    PW colombia
    http://public.fotki.com/curlyclaudia/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    Congratulations!
  • SweetPicklesSweetPickles Posts: 850Registered Users
    Congrats!!
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
  • skywatcherskywatcher Posts: 429Registered Users
    Congratulations!!!!! :blob7:
    3a/2c
    Long layers, past BSL
    Loving: CON poo, Elucence MBC, Jessicurl WDT, B&A Gel.
    SLS free poos since Feb 6/05
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    So sweet! Congrats, Mommy! Get some rest!
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • CurlieGlamourGirlieCurlieGlamourGirlie Posts: 1,198Registered Users
    Hooray!! Welcome Dylan!!

So glad you and he are doing well. 12/19 was my due date!

Love and health and best wishes!!
    3b (I think!)
    HGs - Suave Nexxus Knockoff, Jessicurl Weekly DT, L'Oreal Out of Bed, HESMU.
    http://public.fotki.com/CurlyGlamourGirlie
    http://curlyglamourgirlie.blogspot.com
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Ok, here is the birth story. Warning: it's long!

I woke up at 2 am on wednesday morning (after only 2 hours of sleep) and couldn't get back to sleep because of cramps. I timed them at about 3 1/2 minutes apart and 30-40 seconds long. I really didn't think it was labor and wanted to get rested for work, so I took a bath and hot shower, which seemed to stop the contractions, but as soon as i try to go back to sleep they start back up again. I wake up DH and he hangs out with me occasionally timing contractions.

By 5 am, my contractions are down to 2 minutes apart and very uncomfortable. I walk around in circles around my living room. I realize I won't be going to work. At 8, we decide to go to the mall b/c I'm starting to go insane in the house and it's way too cold to go walking outside. We get back home and call the doula. She suggests I take a bath, so back in the tub I go where I fall asleep for an hour.

By 6 pm, I also start having really bad back pain. We call the doula while I try to breathe through contractions on all fours with my butt up in the air. I also start throwing up, so I stop eating and drink juice to get some calories. Doula thinks I'm definitely in labor but that it's too early to go to the hospital. Contractions are a minute long, but now they're 3-5 minutes apart and she says they'll need to get more regular. Doula leaves and I try to get some rest. I get in the bath, but this time it doesn't seem to slow down my contractions. After getting a killer one, I get scared I'm going to drown in the bathtub, so i get out. Contr. Continue at 1 minute long and about 5 minutes apart, so I can't get any rest at all.

By midnight, I start having to vocalize through contractions and they're coming every 2 minutes. We call doula and I decide I'm ready to go to the hospital. The car ride was nearly unbearable! We get there at 2:30 am on thursday. They check me and I'm 90% effaced and 6 cm dialated. I'm absolutely thrilled thinking I'm going to be holding my baby by sunrise. We check in and settle into the room. My contractions are really intense and they're wanting me to keep still to get the telemetry belts on and put in my IV. It takes them forever to find a vein to put in the IV and I start throwing up. I'm thinking it's b/c of the IV and blood and everything, but then I start again. They give me something for nausea, which really helps at first (I can feel body wanting to throw up but I don't). The anesthesia guy comes in to say he's leaving and will have to be called back in if I want an epidural. I happily tell him that I'm not getting one and send him off.

At 5:30, I start having contractions that are bringing me to the floor in agony. They're coming so often that I sometimes have 3 or 4 with barely a break in between, but they're still not coming very regularly.. Based on the monitors, they think I should be ready to push soon. They check me, and I'm still only 6. I start getting discouraged and I'm in so much pain. Doula suggests I get in the bath, so I do, but it only makes the contractions worse since I can't move. I start throwing up again with every contraction and they can't give me another dose of the nausea medicine yet. I also only slept 3 hours in the last 2 days, so I'm getting way too tired. I start crying that I want an epidural but I told the anesthesiologist to go home. Nurse tells me the morning team is about to come in, so she gets me on IV fluids.

At 7am, the nurses change shifts and I meet the most wonderful person on the planet: my new nurse Shannon. She gets me prepped for the epidural while I'm crying about being a failure. By 8, I'm feeling a little better although still very discouraged. By 8:30, I'm feeling a lot better about everything and the world is suddenly a much nicer place. For some reason, I really enjoy the numb/tingly feeling in my feet, so I have DH rub my foot. At 8:50, I'm 7 cm so I started making some progress again. By 9:45, I'm still at 7. The Dr says I can keep waiting, have pitocin, or have my membranes ruptured. I decide to have my water broken and go to sleep. At 11:45, I start feeling a lot of pressure, so they check me and I'm fully dialated.

At 11:50, I start pushing, first on my back. I push for an hour before the epidural really wears down and i refuse to push until I get a redose. At 1:15, they give me more and I start pushing again. The dose they gave me was pretty mall so i can still feel when to push, so I'm feeling a little better but still painful to push. I decide I have enough feeling in my legs to get on my hands and knees. I push like that leaning on the exercise ball for an hour before I get tired. The nurse suggests I push on my side. Apparently, the change in position really helps and she calls the Dr at 2:30. I feel like the epidural has worn off again, but I'm thinking it's almost the end, so I don't ask for more. I keep pushing on my side but baby's head seems to be stuck. I start getting the feeling that they're getting worried he won't come out and apparently his head is facing the wrong way. I get scared and more determined at the same time, and finally Dylan arrives at 2:57. I don't know if I'm more happy to see my baby or relieved that it's finally over.

I got two tears, a second and first degree, and we have to wait for another redose of epidural since I can feel the needle when she tries to stitch me up. I was in a bit of pain at the hospital both from the tear and just my whole body being sore, but I'm feeling a lot better now. I'm actually starting forget about the birth already... I guess that's nature's way of making sure women have more babies. ;)

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
    Looking at his perfect little head, I was certain you were going to say you had a C-section.

He actually had a little round bump at the top of his head from where he was stuck. It looked kind of like the raised bumb babies get from vacuum extractions. You couldn't see it when they put a hat on him and it's gone now.

Thanks everyone, I agree he's a cutie! :toothy7:Here's another picture:

2131364941_2af78ef424.jpg

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    That is one beautiful baby! Thanks for sharing your story. I'm impressed your doctor let you push for so long without intervention.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Congrats and welcome to Dylan!
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    What a beautiful baby boy and cheers for you, Bailey, you did great.
    2b/3a.
    I'm impressed your doctor let you push for so long without intervention.

I don't think the doctor really knew about it. The only other time I saw her was when she came on shift. Other than that, the doctors were very hands off. My awesome nurse was there with me that whole time, and she was totally with me on switching positions and everything. When she called the Dr, she told me they might want me on my back. I told her I wanted to stay on my side, and as soon as Dr walked in, she told her I wanted to push that way. I really lucked out with her! :love7:

• subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    congrats- thats one good looking baby!
  • maria_imaria_i Posts: 1,765Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    [SIZE=-1]Your baby is beautiful and so are you. Blessings to you and your family![/SIZE]
    3a/b.
    Mexico City.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    Yay, Bailey! Congratulations on your beautiful son. You look very calm in your photo after having been through such an ordeal. Good job! :blob7:
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    Bailey422 wrote: »
    I don't think the doctor really knew about it. The only other time I saw her was when she came on shift. Other than that, the doctors were very hands off. My awesome nurse was there with me that whole time, and she was totally with me on switching positions and everything. When she called the Dr, she told me they might want me on my back. I told her I wanted to stay on my side, and as soon as Dr walked in, she told her I wanted to push that way. I really lucked out with her! :love7:

congrats! he's beautiful! glad you are both doing well. i love the green outfit.

the bold above was my experience as well. my ob was in and out checking on me and came in just in time to catch our babies as i pushed them out. it was the nurse who was there catering to my particular wishes during labor.

of all of my friends who had hospital births, the ones who had to relent to the doctors'/hospitals' wishes were those who had unforeseen complications, or those who didn't have a birth plan and weren't in the frame of mind to direct the staff during labor.

congrats again!
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file