I suffer from HIFD Disease

mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I don't think I'm alone either...

I was playing with my hair while reading someone's journal when I read this and laughed out loud:

"One should never diagnose themselves, however, I just realized that I have H.I.F.D. Short for hand in fro disease. I have a serious problem. I play with my hair while I watching T.V., while driving, while chatting on the phone. I got it bad." From the website: http://www.whoissugar.com

I play with my hair so much I annoy myself. I'm starting to think its some sort of obsessive compulsive disorder. I love to pet it, twist it, examine the texture, fluff it up into a cottonball when I ponytail it, run my fingers thru it, during meetings I have to force myself to not touch my hair..

I need help :laughing7:

- Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

Comments

• jcurladyjcurlady Posts: 626Registered Users Curl Novice
    And u r not alone. I've never in my life stood in the mirror as long as I do now. I touch it and check out my waves and see how the ends are curling and touch it some more. I'm driving my DH mad every day b/c I ask him if it looks better than it did yesterday. I'm well on my way to driving myself crazy, but I'm having so much fun doing it. I knew there was a name 4 what i had.
    if luvin KCKT and KCCC is wrong I don't wanna b right

sell crazy somewhere else...we're all stocked up here.
  • jsocurleighjsocurleigh Posts: 265Registered Users
    Is this the sign up list for HIFDA? (Hand In Fro Disease Anonymous)
    I got it bad too... so so bad.
    *AVEDA Cosmetology Graduate*
    *DEVA Trained Stylist*

4a*reformed PJ* mixologist*twistologist*extremely hair obsessed
    Twitter/@JayeEllis
  • preciousjewel76preciousjewel76 Posts: 679Registered Users Curl Novice
    I have HIFD too, and I am NOT ashamed!:toothy7:
    Well, I am ashamed to be doing it while going 70 mph on the highway....hee hee.

I am also addicted to co-washing, as an excuse try out new conditioners.:sad8: I think I might wash myself bald someday.:)
    4A - dense, medium strands - APL/BSL - 3+ years natural!

:love7:YAY!: GF Triple Nutrition Conditioner, YTCu Color Care Conditioner, Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque, LOTD AV Gel, EVCO, JCN&S, KCCC, buns and updos!
  • motherearthamothereartha Posts: 355Registered Users
    GUILTY!

jcurlady my SO is so disgusted with my obsession with my hair and how i can just look at others hair albums for hours at a time. unfortunately, for me nails are a close second. i give myself manicures on a compulsive basis :laughing7:. and polish does not adhere to my nails well either. i think that's why i hate to co-wash...my nails!
    thick, kinky, nappy, hair w/ dashes of curls
    pw: bearhair
  • missmoniemissmonie Posts: 920Registered Users
    Ladies...I'm right there with you. Isn't is great to have a support group :-)

By the way, my husband picked up my computer one day and my Fotki album was on my screen and he was like "WTF"? He was shocked that I have this hair album....and he was even more shocked to see the comments on the fotki pages. He asked...."do you know these people"? I tried to explain that it's a way for women to support each other in our hair journeys...and he just didn't get it. I think he thinks I'm crazy and leading a secret life....
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/ - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
  • GuyanaGal718GuyanaGal718 Posts: 207Registered Users
    I have a hair obsession too....I just realized I have HIFD. I was toying with my hair as I opened this thread, not knowing it was about what I was doing lol!
    A 3b/3c/ curlicious combo with a sprinkle of 4a.
    The Big Chop August. 2006 :nike:
    Natural Diva since 2005.
    Tracklete Star!
  • curlicurli Posts: 857Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    missmonie wrote: »
    Ladies...I'm right there with you. Isn't is great to have a support group :-)

By the way, my husband picked up my computer one day and my Fotki album was on my screen and he was like "WTF"? He was shocked that I have this hair album....and he was even more shocked to see the comments on the fotki pages. He asked...."do you know these people"? I tried to explain that it's a way for women to support each other in our hair journeys...and he just didn't get it. I think he thinks I'm crazy and leading a secret life....

lololololol my SO thinks that too!
  • legette68legette68 Posts: 216Registered Users
    I suffer from HIFDA disease also. It annoys my husband!!!! I dare not let him see my FOTKI album. He will think I am obsessed.
    Thick, coarse 3C hair:coffee:
    BC Feb 2009/ relaxer free since 06/08
    Second time around!

http://public.fotki.com/legette68
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I hide my Fotki album from my family. My husband already thinks I'm crazy for obsessing with my hair, having so many products in the bathroom. Last night I found myself twirling my hair, then cuddling up to him and twirling/fluffing his afro :laughing7: I also twirl my 9 yr old daughter's hair.

I need help! :sad6::tongue1: Ahahahahaa!
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• LadyJAHLadyJAH Posts: 81Registered Users
    I am a reformed HIF Junky. Immediately after I b/c'd I could not stop playing with my curls especially the roots of my hair. The texture of rubbing my hand through my hair was so therapeutic, my husband even started playing with my hair more and more.

Now it has been over a year since I became 100% natural, and after I style and comb my hair, I leave it alone. So there maybe help for you yet, or maybe not. HAVE FUN and ENJOY!!!! :)
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your SO's should be happy you have Fotkis and a support group of like minded people, so you're not boring them to death with this stuff LOL. I am always touching my hair like "oh yeah, it's still there!"
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • dsg-girlycurlydsg-girlycurly Posts: 343Registered Users
    I definitely have HIFD and it's really bad. I like to feel my curls and then pull them apart.....I kinda feel like that's tearing my hair and causing split ends.:cry:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4A&B -- Henna and the entire Essential Balms product line; lately Carol's Daughter honey mimosa & black vanilla leave-in. Staple products are SheaMoisture, Aubrey Organics and Trader Joes Norish Spa conditioner, ACV and IC Fantasia Gel. I'm also Mixtress (I love making my own hair concoctions :glasses9:)

Be encouraged -- Cuzz Fuzz is what it Duzz!!

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/dsg373839/
  • HeatherNicoleHeatherNicole Posts: 1,316Registered Users
    I have HIF, but not in a good way. I pull mine apart too, and I know it splits my ends. I'm trying to break myself of the habit.
    Thick coarse 3c/4a prone to dryness.
    Staples
    Aphogee 2 Step treatment
    Generic Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Tigi MM Conditioner
    Creme of Nature Shampoo for dry hair
    KCCC
    Denman D3
    Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    SheaMoisture Leave-in
    http://public.fotki.com/MsHeatherNicole/

"Make it work!"- Tim Gunn
  • lovinmylocslovinmylocs Posts: 137Registered Users
    I have this problem. I don't pull the curls apart - I squish 'em between my fingers. I do it all day. I also like to touch my roots. Sometimes I pull curls to get them to stand up better. Either way I'm adjusting my hair all day long. LOL
    http://public.fotki.com/lovinmylocs/
    pass: nappy
    Scared of the big chop...nah - I chopped it off on 12.21.07
    I think I've found my HG and routine but I'm still looking for my hair twin.
    Hey twin are you out there...
    HG: Elucence MBS, VO5 Vitaburst - Grapefruit Mandarin Splash, Tigi Control Serum
    Products up for Audition: Jessicurl Too Shea, Ojon Restorative Hair Treatment and Re:Coil

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file