I want more hair

xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I am so annoyed with having thin hair. It is so frustrating to me having my scalp show through all the freaking time. And I know at my age it's only going to get worse. I know there are worse things out there but I am having a bit of a hissyfit and feeling sorry for myself. :sad8: To be honest if I could straighten my hair (I am tool inept) I would because when its straight you cannot see my scalp like you do when it's curly but I wear it curly 99.9% of the time (unless I have a beautician do it) because it just takes me too long and it's too much hassle. Ok..I might be done feeling sorry for myself but not positive.
Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~

Comments

• kcurlskcurls Posts: 205Registered Users
    Both my sister and a good friend are concerned about hair loss and/ or thin hair, so I have been keeping my eyes open for them re treatments. I am not an expert, and you may already know about these things, but, I will list what I know

1. Biotin supplements have helped me - 1000 mg
    2. Lysine suppl (maybe - or is it for nails?)
    3. thinning could be caused by sensitivity to protein in hair products
    4.thinning caused by sebum build up/crystalization - not massaging hair vigorously enough when you wash to remove build up
    5. New to me: Aryvedic (Sp?) treatment for thinning hair. There's a blurb in this month's Allure magazine about this - research has shown is more effective than Rogaine for hair regrowth...

Good luck. And for what it's worth, your hair looks great in your pictures - I would never have known you struggled with thin hair!
    3A - fine, just above shoulder length, w/red color and highlights.

Product: Suave Coconut leave in, Joico Joiwhip mousse, Angell or F/X Curl booster on wet hair. Sometimes rotate in ReCoil/CK.

Routine: Scrunch with cloth diapers, then use Shellynot's clipping method. Diffuse a bit without touching hair. Leave clips in at least half and hour. Remove clips and air dry.

Day 2: Pineapple, no product.

DT once a week with DevaCare OneC

ALSO:
    "I got a crush on Obama."
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,165Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I feel for you, I'm in exactly the same boat and get very fed-up with having to juggle 2 mirrors whilst trying to cover all the scalp showing when I do my hair every day. I think I'm getting quite paranoid about it - I keep looking at other peoples hair (nothing new there tho!) and wondering why it is that no-one else seems to have the same problem (well not people my age). It makes me even more self conscious about my hair than I am already. Hate it.
    3b in South Australia.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for the compliement Kcurls! I was taking hair,skin,nails vitamins but think I am going to try just the biotin. I was also thinking of getting the massage brush from Sally's hoping that would help with getting my scalp cleaner although I dont feel like I have any issues there but ya never know!

Starmie I know I am probably more worried about then others who look at my hair. I too do the 2 mirror thing - I need to make sure there are no huge bald spots in the back. It also seems that the majority of curlies have much more hair so I am also checking out everyone's fuller hair and wishing it were mine!

Thanks for letting me vent!
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • Mamacurl3Mamacurl3 Posts: 1,559Registered Users
    I think your hair is pretty similar to mine, except yours looks great! Mine still needs help, I just discovered this site so am on a [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curlisto-Curl-Reform-p-848.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curlisto-Systems-Curl-Reform]curl reform[/buylink]. Mine is a wreck right now do to hormone changes from pregnancy, birth, nursing, post partum loss etc. I'm trying to grow it out too, I might have to check out the products you use, your hair looks great!
    Type: 3a/3b, fine-medium
    Cleanse: hg:whispering windz farm jar soaps,
    Moisture/Co rinse: GVP conditioning balm
    DT: Jessicurl's dt
    Leave in: KCKT
    Definition: kccc
    Hold: rotating: gvp liquid scuplting gel
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    http://s722.photobucket.com/albums/ww223/mamacurl7/
    "My father says almost the whole world's asleep...He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant, total amazement."
    Traveling? http://katiebutton.rovia.com/
    Mamacurl3 wrote: »
    I think your hair is pretty similar to mine, except yours looks great! Mine still needs help, I just discovered this site so am on a [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curlisto-Curl-Reform-p-848.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curlisto-Systems-Curl-Reform]curl reform[/buylink]. Mine is a wreck right now do to hormone changes from pregnancy, birth, nursing, post partum loss etc. I'm trying to grow it out too, I might have to check out the products you use, your hair looks great!

Thanks for the compliment but be careful - I am a product junkie so no two days are similar in product use. :laughing7:
    Central Massachusetts

• starcrosserstarcrosser Posts: 183Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't post often on the boards, but had to reply because I have the same hair type. Naturally curly (3a, I'm pretty sure), but very fine and thin. I too wish I had very thick hair like many other curlies. I do straighten a lot because, like you said, it sort of camouflages how thin my hair is. I am currently trying to find products that weigh my curls down a bit, so they are more like big waves. I have a round face, so unfortunately my natural hair texture (which is very curly) is not very flattering. Sigh. If you find good products for our hair type, please please let me know.
    3A curls, fine texture, thin (it's always been that way). A few inches past shoulder length and would like it to grow very long.

Latest routine:
    Sulfate-free shampoo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather Shampoo, Elucence, Bedhead Superstar
    Conditioner: Jessicurl Too Shea conditioner, DermOrganic Masque, Redken All Soft
    Style: DermOrganic Argan Oil Treatment/Serum, Kinky Curly Knot Today leave-in, Kerastase Nectar Thermique, Oyin Hair Dew
  • GettinControlGettinControl Posts: 828Registered Users
    I think you have really pretty hair!
    3a/b medium/coarse combo(w/some fine strands), normal porosity, normal elasticity(strong)
    Komaza analysis 2015: medium to coarse combo(some fine strands), normal porosity, strong elasticity, healthy hair
    Goosefootprints 2013: moderately coarse with some medium; low porosity at roots, normal thru shaft, porous ends, normal elasticity
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    kcurls,

Do you mean Ayurvedic?
  • kcurlskcurls Posts: 205Registered Users
    Yes, thanks Ayurvedic it is! Traditional, very ancient, health and beauty practice from India.
    3A - fine, just above shoulder length, w/red color and highlights.

Product: Suave Coconut leave in, Joico Joiwhip mousse, Angell or F/X Curl booster on wet hair. Sometimes rotate in ReCoil/CK.

Routine: Scrunch with cloth diapers, then use Shellynot's clipping method. Diffuse a bit without touching hair. Leave clips in at least half and hour. Remove clips and air dry.

Day 2: Pineapple, no product.

DT once a week with DevaCare OneC

ALSO:
    "I got a crush on Obama."
  • LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Posts: 1,478Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm another fine/thin-haired wavy/curly that is always fighting the scalp problem. I have found that having highlights help - they give the hair more texture and the subtle difference in colors seem to help camoflage the scalp.

After reading Doodles's thread about reviewing Jessicurl's videos (scrunching pre-plopping), I find that is also helping to further give me a little more volume at the roots.

I've been taking Biotin, but will try upping the dosage - I don't think I'm getting 1000 mg.
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB
    I'm another fine/thin-haired wavy/curly that is always fighting the scalp problem. I have found that having highlights help - they give the hair more texture and the subtle difference in colors seem to help camoflage the scalp.

After reading Doodles's thread about reviewing Jessicurl's videos (scrunching pre-plopping), I find that is also helping to further give me a little more volume at the roots.

I've been taking Biotin, but will try upping the dosage - I don't think I'm getting 1000 mg.

I may try that again too!
    Central Massachusetts

• medusahairmedusahair Posts: 3,515Registered Users
    well I used to have thick hair.......... but since the mysterious thinning I have thick strands but not much of it. The vitamins help if that's what your hair needs, but while you're hair needs help looking like there is more of it......

I make sure to rake through gel so that it separates the clumps and makes my hair look like there is more of it. I make sure to clip and diffuse on top to get volume. Never let the top get too long or it will give me a pointed head flat look. I diffuse for a few mins upside down b efore air drying and when completely dry I slip my fingers down at the scalp and ruff up the hair there so that it pulls away from my scalp and fluffs it up.

The fluffing bit makes my hair not curl all the way to the roots as much but I get a fuller look. If I want all my hair fuller I shake more vigorously so I get more "air" in my hair so to speak.

oh oh and light products so that my hair doesn't pull down too much.

Just my 2 coppers worth, good luck!
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    http://public.fotki.com/Medusahair/

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Posts: 1,478Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    xcptnl wrote: »

Shoot, I looked and I'm taking almost 1500 mcg. But I don't take it everyday - I get on a vitamin kick then it flies out the window for weeks at a time. Shame on me :angry7:
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB
  • lauraloolauraloo Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    I am also checking out everyone's fuller hair and wishing it were mine!

Girl you said it! I love my curls but I don't have enough hair to make it look nice past a few hours post-styling. Forget 2nd day hair... it just isn't resilient enough to hold the curl. I have very fine hair and not much of it, and now that it's losing curl I'm beginning to panic. :sad2:

I've found that a looser look helps to fake volume. I like the chunky, defined curl look, but if you go for a more "fluffy" style it helps with bald spots.

Sigh. I REALLY think there should be a forum for thin-haired curlies. I suggested it to the powers that be a loooong time ago but got no response...
    Not all who wander are lost.

Fine and thin 3a. PW: curls
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users

Shoot, I looked and I'm taking almost 1500 mcg. But I don't take it everyday - I get on a vitamin kick then it flies out the window for weeks at a time. Shame on me :angry7:

That sounds like me. I can't even stay in the habit of taking prescribed medications.
  • dryballdryball Posts: 18Registered Users
    I'm inthe same boat : (
    Before I used to have so much hair, now it's suddenly thin and the light gets all the way through the scalp. I too want to have my hair straightened, currently I use flatiron once or twice a week(babyliss ceramic), lots of traightening products and bumble&bumble coloured rdy scampoo and works ok...but my hair is in very bad shape. I want to stop using the iron but what alternative is there? I'm thinking about doing a relaxing treatment at home since they must be more gentle then the ones done at the saloon(or??)
    Check out heralopecia.com also...
  • curlyandredcurlyandred Posts: 9Registered Users
    Its not going to make your hair grow back, but it WILL make it look thicker. Look for Keratin Hair fibers. I use Toppik or Xfusion. They come in colors, you just get the one that closely matches your hair. After your hair is dry, you just shake the stuff on, and it sticks to your hair, making it look so much thicker. I use it just on the super thinning spots, and it really fills them in. The powder washes right out with water.
  • susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,374Registered Users Curl Novice
    kcurls wrote: »
    5. New to me: Aryvedic (Sp?) treatment for thinning hair. There's a blurb in this month's Allure magazine about this - research has shown is more effective than Rogaine for hair regrowth...
    quote]

December issue of Allure or Jan?
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file