Sleeping with conditioner

jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Has it come to that? you ask.

Yes.

This notion of sleeping with conditioner in my hair has great appeal for me and I did it once last week with positive results. So I want to keep doing it. The thing is that I used [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Aloeba-Daily-Conditioner-p-104.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-aloeba-daily-conditioner]Jessicurl Aloeba[/buylink] and that stuff isn't cheap (or all that rich), so if I'm going to make this a weekly or twice-weekly habit, I would like to find something affordable, super moisturizing, and totally CG.

Any suggestions? I want to cut down on surface frizz and have my hair feel less brittle and flyaway. If you sleep with conditioner on your head under a satin bonnet/cap, I would love to hear from you and learn what conditioners or treatments you use that you like.

My god. A satin bonnet on my head. When did I pass into this new phase of hair obsession??
3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
Twitter: nopoojillipoo

Comments

• kcurlskcurls Posts: 205Registered Users
    I'm not sure I have any suggestions re: sleeping with conditioner (except to ask, are you thinking of this as a deep treatment?), but I want to acknowledge the creeping hair obsession syndrome. This board, coupled with my credit card and making extra time to experiment, has led me to hair obsessive heights (depths?) heretofore unknown.

Just as your hair bonnet moment gave you pause, I realized that something had shifted in me when I found myself unwilling to get into the jacazzi at the gym (previously the most wonderful 20 minutes of my day), because the humidity would "ruin my hair."

Uh oh.
    3A - fine, just above shoulder length, w/red color and highlights.

Product: Suave Coconut leave in, Joico Joiwhip mousse, Angell or F/X Curl booster on wet hair. Sometimes rotate in ReCoil/CK.

Routine: Scrunch with cloth diapers, then use Shellynot's clipping method. Diffuse a bit without touching hair. Leave clips in at least half and hour. Remove clips and air dry.

Day 2: Pineapple, no product.

DT once a week with DevaCare OneC

ALSO:
    "I got a crush on Obama."
  • jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    LOL! Yes, well, I can imagine myself having a similar reaction to a Jacuzzi situation, although since discovering the whole CG thing, I am more inclined to allow myself to participate in situations where humidity may affect my curls -- because now the humidity will only make me curlier and that's fine! (When I was fighting with my hair and trying to control the curl or straighten it, I would opt not to walk to work if there was any dampness in the air that day. I don't miss that!)

But the obsession for curl perfection has replaced the quest for control, and I don't know if that's really much better... I don't want to become a product junkie and have already placed a moratorium on buying more products unless I can discover an excellent conditioner to sleep in.

I guess you could say that yes, the sleeping in conditioner thing is a kind of deep treatment. It would be in addition to the weekly one I do with heat.

Maybe we should start a thread about curl-obsessed incidents that defy all logic and/or good sense? :laughing7:
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl

• wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    What's your budget? What's your threshold as far as $ per bottle?

I don't know if it's affordable enough or not, but Back to Basics Pomegranate Conditioner meets all your other criteria and is not hugely expensive.

When I do this, I tend to use something like Aveda Deep Penetrating but I only ever do it maybe every 6 weeks, so the price isn't as much of an issue.
    I'd like to keep whatever I buy under $10. I recently bought Trader Joe's "Essential" conditioner because it was only $1.99. Daily use in the shower is going well and I haven't yet tried it overnight, but maybe I will do that. Also, today I discovered that my salon now carries Jessicurl products! So I bought [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Too-Shea-Extra-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-105.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner]Too Shea[/buylink] on my way out ($14 -- so much for my budget!). I will probably try that as an overnight solution.

Thank you for the Back to Basics Pomegranate Conditioner suggestion. I will definitely check that out!

• msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    I've never slept in conditioner, but I do sleep in jojoba oil and Jessicurl's Soft Blend Oil sometimes.
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kcurlskcurls Posts: 205Registered Users
    I had been using Suave Coconut for co-wash, leave in, AND styling, and it's cheap cheap cheap (like $1.99)- but ultimately, I don't know how good a moisturizer it really is - when I started coloring I decided a needed something more "professional." It's still a strangely good styling aid though, for me

Lucky that you can do humidity - I am CG but still cannot. I tend to frizz up instantaneously, which is a bummer because I live in the rainforest that is the Pacific Northwest. However, is that a CG theory - the more CG, the better to withstand humidity? Hmm, something else to be obsessed about.

I say yes to a specific thread for those people who are having trouble with keeping a healthy balance - hair vs. everything else in the universe!
    3A - fine, just above shoulder length, w/red color and highlights.

Product: Suave Coconut leave in, Joico Joiwhip mousse, Angell or F/X Curl booster on wet hair. Sometimes rotate in ReCoil/CK.

Routine: Scrunch with cloth diapers, then use Shellynot's clipping method. Diffuse a bit without touching hair. Leave clips in at least half and hour. Remove clips and air dry.

Day 2: Pineapple, no product.

DT once a week with DevaCare OneC

ALSO:
    "I got a crush on Obama."
    Thank you, ladies, for the fine advice. But guess what happened to me today? I got a FREE liter of Jessicurl product because I convinced the salon I go to to start carrying her products! Woo hoo! So, I've got a bunch of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Too-Shea-Extra-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-105.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner]Too Shea[/buylink] coming, which, from all accounts, is pretty darn moisturizing.

I figure I'll slather some on my head several times a week and sleep in it, plus I'll use it daily in the shower.

I think the hair gods are taking pity on me and sending help!

• wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wow, that's awesome.

You know, I used to do a lot of deep treatments kind of like you're doing. But over time I found they weren't as necessary because my hair was so healthy it didn't matter anymore. So maybe once your liter is up, you can reassess.
    wild~hair wrote: »
    Wow, that's awesome.

You know, I used to do a lot of deep treatments kind of like you're doing. But over time I found they weren't as necessary because my hair was so healthy it didn't matter anymore. So maybe once your liter is up, you can reassess.

That's what I'm shooting for. I would like to get to a point where I'm obsessing about (ooops, I mean thinking about) something else! :)

• echokittenechokitten Posts: 1,751Registered Users
    I occasionally sleep with co in. I do a dry hair DT. If I am using only Jessicurl or some other "natural" styling aid (in the morning) I will slop on a some WDT or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Aloeba-Daily-Conditioner-p-104.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-aloeba-daily-conditioner]Aloeba[/buylink] or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Too-Shea-Extra-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-105.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner]Too Shea[/buylink] that same night to dry hair and sleep with my hair in a bun on top of my head. I don't like to do that when I have used any thing other than natural products because I find that my scalp feels dirty the next day unless I no-poo. It usually works really well, especially in the winter when dry hair is a big problem for me. It also helps with detangling when I cowash it out in the morning. Plus it makes my pillow case smell yummy....:laughing6:
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If you buy Jessicurl products directly at her website, you can get them in 1 gallon sizes for $100. This brings the price down to about $8 for an 8 ounce size regular bottle/jar rather than the $13-$14 you'd typically pay. That's a substantial savings. If you purchase when she's having one of her $5 flat rate shipping sales, it's very reasonable to order several gallons at a time...that's what I like to do. I feel like I've saved money, even if I do have to put out a large chunk of money upfront. The gallons last me a long time. I typically go through 2 gallons of HCC per year, and 1 gallon of conditioner.
  • KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Posts: 1,048Registered Users
    jillipoo wrote: »
    Has it come to that? you ask.

Yes.

This notion of sleeping with conditioner in my hair has great appeal for me and I did it once last week with positive results. So I want to keep doing it. The thing is that I used [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Aloeba-Daily-Conditioner-p-104.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-aloeba-daily-conditioner]Jessicurl Aloeba[/buylink] and that stuff isn't cheap (or all that rich), so if I'm going to make this a weekly or twice-weekly habit, I would like to find something affordable, super moisturizing, and totally CG.

Any suggestions? I want to cut down on surface frizz and have my hair feel less brittle and flyaway. If you sleep with conditioner on your head under a satin bonnet/cap, I would love to hear from you and learn what conditioners or treatments you use that you like.

My god. A satin bonnet on my head. When did I pass into this new phase of hair obsession??

I started sleeping with a cap and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Weekly-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-p-106.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-weekly-deep-conditioner-treatment]JC WDT[/buylink] once a week. My husband is now asking "When did you pass into this new phase of marital bliss?"
    :wink:
    KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.
  • KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Posts: 1,048Registered Users
    If you buy Jessicurl products directly at her website, you can get them in 1 gallon sizes for $100. This brings the price down to about $8 for an 8 ounce size regular bottle/jar rather than the $13-$14 you'd typically pay. That's a substantial savings. If you purchase when she's having one of her $5 flat rate shipping sales, it's very reasonable to order several gallons at a time...that's what I like to do. I feel like I've saved money, even if I do have to put out a large chunk of money upfront. The gallons last me a long time. I typically go through 2 gallons of HCC per year, and 1 gallon of conditioner.

I read somewhere on the boards that someone had problem with the JC stuff going bad. I'm afraid to buy that much for fear of that, so I buy it in the liter bottles. RCW, have you had that problem?
    KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

I read somewhere on the boards that someone had problem with the JC stuff going bad. I'm afraid to buy that much for fear of that, so I buy it in the liter bottles. RCW, have you had that problem?

Nope, haven't had a problem. I'm careful not to contaminate my product though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file