mild relaxers

jmuamyjmuamy Posts: 23Registered Users
Has anyone had one? How do you think it would turn out?

Comments

• boarderhopperboarderhopper Banned Posts: 295Banned Users
    one time i bought a relaxer thing from the store and it used Ammonium thioglycolate or something which is a weak chemical with a low pH so it didnt burn or anything...it also didn't get my hair very straight. although it did look really straight when it was wet...
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It depends on the condition of your hair and if you apply it correctly. There was a curly -- I believe 3a -- who had Ouidad's softening tecnique applied to a section of her hair and she loved it. Apparently that part of her hair had a kinkier texture than the rest of her hair. There was also a 3b curly with thick hair who used Rusk Anti-curl (?) texturizer. She claimed that she could easily blow-dry her hair straight and wear it curly without the frizz. Mild relaxers are supposed to loosen the curl and reduce frizz. You should post this on the general board to get more responses.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • dutch girldutch girl Posts: 150Registered Users
    i relaxed my hair once, made my hair really stringy and frizzy. i can't recommend it. i found out that modified cg calmes my hair down better than a relaxer ever could. btw i wasn't trying to get straight hair, i just wanted to loosen the curl.
    type 3b.
    modified CG.
    CON red, inecto-co, invisigel.
  • jmuamyjmuamy Posts: 23Registered Users
    Well I would get it done professionally, I'm just wondering if it even works
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    They do work if your hair is healthy and it's applied properly. However, just with any chemical process, research the pros and cons before so that your hair does not suffer any unnecessary damage. Also consider what result you want. I'm assuming that you want a looser curl or less frizz. I've used the Phyto relaxer index 1 before. It has an african-american woman on the box but it's for anyone with non-kinky curly hair who wants to relax their curls. It just loosened my curls and I did not have a bad experience with it. There is also a nonchemical "relaxer" called Curl-away sold by Wal-greens. Women on the transitioning board raved about it a long time ago. You might want to research that before chemically altering your hair. There were also articles done by NC about mild relaxers. Just search for softening, texturizing. The article featured Curlisto and Ouidad. HTH

ETA: Taking better care of your hair will eliminate frizz as well.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file