new, and need some afro tips.

disasterdelishdisasterdelish Posts: 3Registered Users
Hey everyone! I have a date on Friday night and he wants to see my hair really big...like this photo:
[URL=]http://www.vh1.com/photos/gallery/?fid=1574842&pid=2677390[/URL]
Her curls look a big bigger than mine, I am a 3c. I am white/latina/black and have VERY FINE HAIR!

I currently have gel, an african-american hair spray with extra moisturizers, I bought a gloss/oil at the recommendation of a google search I did for afros. Hair dryer with diffuser and flat iron.

I usually wash my hair every 3 days and sometimes condition more.
Can y'all help me please?

alys

Comments

• disasterdelishdisasterdelish Posts: 3Registered Users
    I can also post a picture if that would help :)
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That is gorgeous hair. I wonder if she teased it up a bit to make it look like that. My hair isn't long enough to achieve that poofy look.

Well I'm not here to answer your question as you can already tell :laughing7: but I'm hoping somebody will answer you. I always see styles like that and think wow she looks awesome, I don't necessarily think it'll look that nice on me tho.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• momo7momo7 Posts: 478Registered Users
    I can also post a picture if that would help :)

Yeah, a picture would help alot! :blob7:
  • jsocurleighjsocurleigh Posts: 265Registered Users
    Yes yes post the pic! Can't click that link from work:blob7:

I'm becoming a big hair expert :)
    *AVEDA Cosmetology Graduate*
    *DEVA Trained Stylist*

4a*reformed PJ* mixologist*twistologist*extremely hair obsessed
    Twitter/@JayeEllis
  • cclark1cclark1 Posts: 346Registered Users
    I agree. Post a pic! I love her hair. It is so beautiful :)
    Dare to be......remarkable!!!
  • disasterdelishdisasterdelish Posts: 3Registered Users
    fridaystyle.jpg

the model

hotladieshot.jpg

me, all the way to the right.
    fridaystyle.jpg

the model

hotladieshot.jpg

me, all the way to the right.

yey a pic, lol. :toothy7: ur hair reminds me of mariah's blondish color. hey, your hair looks similar 2 the model but alot more toned down. maybe a comb/brush out will kinda give u that look, or maybe upside down styling w/ little to no product??? I dunno, I'm trying 2 think of wut comez 2 mind...any other suggestionz fellow curlies??? :blob7:
  • cclark1cclark1 Posts: 346Registered Users
    I think that you have very nice hair. Just a thought, I'm far from a hair dresser!! Your hair is very similiar to hers. Can't you just mousse, tease, crunch and diffuse??
    Dare to be......remarkable!!!
  • jsocurleighjsocurleigh Posts: 265Registered Users
    Prettyyyyyyyy you and the model! She has mega volume at the root so it looks like you just need to do what you did to get your the way it looks in the pic, just tease and fluff. I love your curls, I just wanna stick my hands in it and do it for you lol.
    *AVEDA Cosmetology Graduate*
    *DEVA Trained Stylist*

4a*reformed PJ* mixologist*twistologist*extremely hair obsessed
    Twitter/@JayeEllis
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i know im late, but i saw that episode of america's most smartest model and what they did was curl her hair with a curling iron and then tease it to make it taller. you could also do a roller set. her hair appears to be texturized or even a regual old relaxer ( i know theyre the same thing but you get my point) when she wears it "naturally" so its already stretched out, so to speak.

good luck.
  • curlynikkicurlynikki Posts: 2,420Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    subbrock wrote: »
    i know im late, but i saw that episode of america's most smartest model and what they did was curl her hair with a curling iron and then tease it to make it taller. you could also do a roller set. her hair appears to be texturized or even a regual old relaxer ( i know theyre the same thing but you get my point) when she wears it "naturally" so its already stretched out, so to speak.

good luck.

My thoughts exactly. I watched a few of the episodes and the above pic is an example of a good hair day for her. They used a lot of heat and teasing to get her hair to those heights and to make the curl look consistent.

You have very pretty hair. If anything you can pick the roots and hit them with a blowdryer...it'll give you some volume.

hth
  • curlicurli Posts: 857Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Or, you can do a rod set & tease. You guys have a very similar hir texture so you can also use some mousse & tease.. Use very little product & you should have that style.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    curli wrote: »
    Or, you can do a rod set & tease. You guys have a very similar hir texture so you can also use some mousse & tease.. Use very little product & you should have that style.
    their hair types are VERY different! the picture of angela (the model) her hair looks nothing like it usually does. i love the pic posted...mousse would just wet the hair and bring her natural texture out instead of the uniformity of the curls created by the curling iron. plus heat and alcohol usually arent the most curl friendly things.
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    OMG that's relaxed hair that they teased up like that? Half her hair was probably on her lap when she tried to comb thru it. :laughing7:
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

I've never really seen that show b4 but I looked up Angela Hart or something and came across this site (I had 2 sign into my mypace account 2 c her pics). I think she's like a 3B/3C (I dunno about that classification stuff really). Her hair on some other pics look very pretty.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=32472416
  • Curly1908Curly1908 Posts: 192Registered Users
    Do a rod set and then pick it out. :nike:

You'll get nice results, but I don't think it will look anything like the model 'cause you have very fine hair. :blob7:
    Yay for Kinky-Curly Custard!
    mostly 3c with patches of 2b, 3b, and 4a
    Nappy...and oh-so happy :)
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Maybe brush it out, spray it with water (but not the roots) and fluff out as it dries. Then hairspray. Everything we don't want to to with our curly hair:toothy7:
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file