How has your hair recovered from the occasional straightening?

I've been CG since this summer and haven't even looked at my flat-iron (which I couldn't have lived without before) since then.

Now that my hair is much longer I'm thinking about wearing it straight for a day, but I'm slightly apprehensive since my routine has been going so well and I really don't want to f*ck up my curls, pardon my French. So... I have just a few questions.

Would you recommend getting it blown out at a salon or flat-ironing?
Which is less damaging?

Do you shampoo your hair before you straighten it?

How did you revive your curls when you decided to wash it again?

Thanks.

Comments

• JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    I don't have a problem getting my curls back after flat ironing, but going to the salon would be more damaging than doing it yourself.
    3b-3c CG
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I find less damage to have a hairdresser do it. 1) they're faster 2) they have better protecting products than I do.

Speckla
  • miralalunamiralaluna Posts: 168Registered Users
    Your hair is far better protected against heat damage now that you do a no-poo routine as it will retain much more natural moisture that shampoo previously stripped it of.

I straighten the front portion of my hair if I tie it back (otherwise it's just nuts) and my curls always spring back after a rinse with water/conditioner/lemon juice/whatever.

I'd only be wary about losing curl ify ou were planning on straightening daily. I still have bits of hair that used to be my bangs that have a weird straight kink to them because I used to straighten them daily.
    Fine texture (I think?!), normal porosity
    No 'poo since May 2007

Current products (used only as & when required!):
    - Naked Sensitive Scalp conditioner
    - Shikakai powder
    - Jojoba oil

My Fotki - pw: curlywhirly
  • curlywifecurlywife Posts: 198Registered Users
    After blowdrying or flatironing, I always do an Aphoghee Reconstructor treatment followed by a DT with honey. My curls always pop back.
    4a-Cute, Coily, Curly Afro When Dry
    DT-Aubrey Organics White Camellia & Yes to Cucumbers
    Moisturizer-Oyin Shea butter & Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade (my new love)
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    Totally off-topic, and I don't know if you're even checking replies anymore- but did you choose your sn in honor of the dearly departed club?
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file