I'm scared to death!

KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Registered Users Posts: 1,048
Here it is 12:54 a.m. and I can't sleep. I had my first colonoscopy Friday. Usually, they don't do the first one until your 50, but my doc thought that since I have a history of GI problems it might be a good idea.

Well, they found something. They found a 1/2 inch polyp. Normally, the non-cancerous kind of polyp (hyperplastic polyps) are less than 1 cm. The bad kind (adenomatous polps) are usually larger and turn to cancer 100% of the time. Based on the size of mine, it's probably pre-cancerous or cancerous. I won't know until later this week. But I'm worried sick about it.

This probaby goes into the category of TMI, but hey, we're all middle-aged ladies here and I got to share with someone. I don't want to mention it to anyone in my family before the holidays 'cause I don't want them worrying about it, too.
:crybaby:
KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.

Comments

• Violeta77Violeta77 Registered Users Posts: 134
    Karen, I'm so sorry! My grandmother is going through the exact same thing right now. She just came out of the hospital a few days ago. I can't imagine her 'going it alone', though. Wouldn't your family want to support you in this hard time? Don't put this all on yourself! You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    A 3B trying to regain control of the frizz!
  • 2poodles2poodles Registered Users Posts: 2,485 Curl Connoisseur
    {{HUGS}} I'm sorry you're having to deal with this at all, let alone during the holidays. Kudos to your physician for recommending the colonoscopy early -- and to you for following the recommendation! I'll be praying that it turns out to be nothing major. Please keep us posted and know that we're all here for you...

.....sending healthy, positive, healing vibes your way.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• noellenoelle Registered Users Posts: 377
    Sending a heap of healing thoughts and hugs your way, Karen! You are very thoughtful and brave.
    2C top/3A&B underneath. Activate Hydrating Conditioner, Jessicurl products.
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Registered Users Posts: 1,834 Curl Connoisseur
    I have a co-worker that just had the same thing lasts week and is awaiting results..it's such a good thing that you had it done now before something more may have developed. It's hard to go through anything like this any time, let alone around the holidays, but, again, be so thankful your doctor recommended an early procedure. More +++, healing vibes being sent...
  • munchkinmunchkin Registered Users Posts: 2,909 Curl Connoisseur
    Hopefully, it will be precancerous. My husband went through the same thing a couple years ago. They found a large polyp and thought it might be cancerous. Turns out his was not cancerous. He had two additional colonoscopies that same year to cauterize and remove the polyp. Now every year he goes for another colonoscopy, which is a small price to pay for staying on top of things. They have found additional polyps, but still nothing cancerous.

If yours turns out to be more serious, just hope that you discovered it at an early stage.

I know we went through all the thoughts you are the first weekend after his colonoscopy until we got the results. Will be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.
    3b/c
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    Karen, not TMI - {{hugs}} and hope that it will be benign or pre-cancerous and that you don't have to worry.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Registered Users Posts: 1,048
    Thanks everybody. I'm trying not to freak out so I've tried to stay busy all day. This week will be a busy week with last-minute Christmas details so maybe it'll go fast. I go back to the doctor on Thursday, so unless I hear something beforehand, I'll find out then.

The waiting to find out is what's KILLING me. My husband did make me call my boys and tell them. They're all grown so I think they can handle it. I don't want to call my mom until I have more answers.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas everybody!
    KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,731 Curl Virtuoso
    Sending good vibes your way. Hope everything turns out well. Try not to worry too much.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Praying for negative test results! You're very brave.:king:
  • starinastarina Registered Users Posts: 665 Curl Neophyte
    I'm sending positive healing thoughts your way KurlyKaren. Stay strong!
    I have 3A hair. I've discovered Jessicurl shampoo and Too Shea conditioner and I'm thrilled! Long-time LA Looks sport gel user.
  • SnarlsSnarls Registered Users Posts: 2,537
    I hope it all turns out OK. The waiting feels bad, but it's a good sign that they don't want you back immediately. If it helps, I know of a few people whose stories are like the one described by Munchkin. These women are older than I am, and other than the iniital incident didn't have recurrences and they're raising hell and taking names like no one's business.
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
    The waiting is the worst isn't it, stay positive, thinking of you.
    3b in South Australia.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    Aw, ((HUGS)) to you. That IS scary! My BIL just had some polyps removed last week during his colonoscopy and they were nothing. Hope yours are the same. :)

I'm glad you told your sons--I hate it when my dad has medical concerns, etc and doesn't tell us until later. :mad: That's what family is about, being there for you when you are worried. I told my dad and sis when I was scared about a questionable mammogram (turned out fine), I didn't keep it a secret. :)

Good vibes and healing thoughts your way. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • MarMar Registered Users Posts: 3,004 Curl Neophyte
    I hope everything is ok!
    Hang in there!
    "what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
    -Mother Theresa
    I went to the doctor yesterday and was told that it was a tubular adenoma. That is one of the kinds that turns to cancer 100% of the time, but fortunately it was not yet cancerous! :blob7: She said it was a good thing I had it removed now at 48 because there's a good chance that if I had waited until I was 50 to have my first colonoscopy, it might have been too late. We'll never know--but I sure am glad now I had it done. I took my doc a big bottle of wine to say thanks for making me have one now!

Thanks everybody for your thoughts and prayers!
    KurlyKarenLee

• 2poodles2poodles Registered Users Posts: 2,485 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm sooo happy for you!! What a wonderful Christmas gift!

:wav:

:hello1:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• xcptnlxcptnl Registered Users Posts: 15,678 Curl Connoisseur
    What great news right before the Holidays!!! You deserve a bottle of wine too!
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    Yay! :toothy7: :blob7: I'm so happy for you! That IS the best gift ever!
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Registered Users Posts: 1,834 Curl Connoisseur
    AWESOME NEWS! Now you can truly enjoy your holidays to the fullest extent. And I'm with xcptnl--get yourself a nice bottle of wine, too! Happy Holidays:)
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    I'm so glad. Now you can enjoy your holiday with a clear head.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • SnarlsSnarls Registered Users Posts: 2,537
    Yay!

Good for you for getting the colonoscopy done and taking care of yourself!
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • kcurlskcurls Registered Users Posts: 205
    Good news, and actually, very inspiring. You've inspired me to get my butt down to my doctor's (so to speak) for an exam!
    3A - fine, just above shoulder length, w/red color and highlights.

Product: Suave Coconut leave in, Joico Joiwhip mousse, Angell or F/X Curl booster on wet hair. Sometimes rotate in ReCoil/CK.

Routine: Scrunch with cloth diapers, then use Shellynot's clipping method. Diffuse a bit without touching hair. Leave clips in at least half and hour. Remove clips and air dry.

Day 2: Pineapple, no product.

DT once a week with DevaCare OneC

ALSO:
    "I got a crush on Obama."
  • MarMar Registered Users Posts: 3,004 Curl Neophyte
    That is wonderful news!
    "what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
    -Mother Theresa
  • curlee4lifecurlee4life Registered Users Posts: 219
    Wonderful news!!!:toothy7:

event.png

Germany Curly

Last Relaxer(Texturizer): Aug. 2005
    BC: May 2006

• banjocurlbanjocurl Registered Users Posts: 1,031 Curl Connoisseur
    karen--glad you're ok--sending positive thoughts your way. staying on top of things is a good idea--so i guess you'll have to be tested regularly? have a fabulous holiday
    banjo
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
    kcurls wrote: »
    Good news, and actually, very inspiring. You've inspired me to get my butt down to my doctor's (so to speak) for an exam!

When I told my older brother and sisters, my oldest sister admitted that when she had a colonoscopy a couple of years ago they found a couple of polyps that they were watching. She's was told to come back in three years (next year) but she had such an unpleasant experience with the whole procedure that she vowed that she would never go back (she woke up during the procedure and could feel everything!) I think she's changed her mind now. They're all going to get their butts checked! :laughing7:
    KurlyKarenLee

• EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Registered Users Posts: 8,792 Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, it's no walk in the park, but it needs done.

I'm so glad things worked out for you!
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Registered Users Posts: 1,031 Curl Connoisseur
    kcurls wrote: »

When I told my older brother and sisters, my oldest sister admitted that when she had a colonoscopy a couple of years ago they found a couple of polyps that they were watching. She's was told to come back in three years (next year) but she had such an unpleasant experience with the whole procedure that she vowed that she would never go back (she woke up during the procedure and could feel everything!) I think she's changed her mind now. They're all going to get their butts checked! :laughing7:

well, if she woke up during the procedure i would seriously question the Dr and find someone else. this is unacceptable.
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
  • pro211pro211 Registered Users Posts: 110
    :)So glad everything turned out well for you . I'm 47 and had my first colonoscopy on the 20th . Everything was clean and clear . I had it done because I've had IBS symptoms since the summer . Everything started during a time of terrible stress . I sure was worried .
    And I agree your sis shouldn't have awakened during the procedure . That part was a piece of cake for me . It was the prep that was the worst .
  • CaleilaniCaleilani Registered Users Posts: 728
    Do you guys think I should have a colonoscopy? I've been having butt problems since October and have been on Colace 2 pills twice a day and two scoops of Metamucil a day.I stopped for one day then my butt went back to bleeding.They claim I have an anal fissure.But,am I supposed to be on Colace and Metamucil just to have a decent BM? Sorry for the graphics,but I'm sick of taking it.
    3B-3C, alittle past tailbone length,age:41 years

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file