trying to be CG, but bad build-up is getting me down!

AlessAless Posts: 5Registered Users
I really really want to be faithful & adopt the Curly Girl method. However, doing a CO-wash is NOT nice on my scalp. It's been about 3 weeks now, so I know there is a delicate transition period that I'm still potentially in.

Anyway, 90% of the time when I do a CO-only wash, I have build-up that very day. Basically, whenever I skip a 'poo, I have greasy, heavy build-up in my roots. I scrub as well as I can with my fingers in the shower with CO, but I think that makes it worse (washing with MORE CO when it's what I'm trying to get out in the first place!). Doing an ACV or sulfate-free 'poo does the trick, but I don't wanna have to use these every single day - that kinda defeats the point of being CG.

Suggestions? I've double- and triple-checked my COs for the forbidden ingredients & they are fine. My water IS very hard, which I know can be an issue, but I just want a way of washing that is effective yet moisturising. I don't mind doing the 'poo or natural clarifiers once a week, but needing them every day is ridiculous.

I tried a water-only wash followed by a single CO application this morning. Hair seems less gunky, but it'll take a couple days to see if this REALLY keeps the build-up away.
Pretty much a 2c, but a bit flatter on top than I'd like!!

Comments

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    What products are you using and what is your hair type? Wavies often need shampoo. And just because your products are free of cones, doesn't mean they are the right products for you.

Do you live near a Home Depot? You can buy a $20 shower filter there that helps somewhat w/ hard water. Or you can use extra-conditioning conditioners to counteract the hardness. ([buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Curls-Milkshake-p-884.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Curls-Milkshake]Curls Milkshake[/buylink] comes to mind...)

But for me, no, I never had any delicate transition period. CG started working for me right away, at least somewhat. It took a lot of tweaking to get optimal results...but it was never bad.

• Violeta77Violeta77 Posts: 134Registered Users
    I started CG last week. Used to wash my hair (with poo) about 2/3 times a month. My head was really itchy last night but I didn't want to give in with shampoo! Instead, this morning I mixed some brown sugar in with my condish (mixed in the shower, right before I wanted to use it) and scrubbed with that. It felt great and I don't feel itchy anymore. Perhaps this could work for you?
    A 3B trying to regain control of the frizz!
  • agent_003bdagent_003bd Posts: 142Registered Users
    Is the conditioner you are using to CO wash heavy? This could be making your hair feel "gunky" on the scalp. A lot of people use a light conditioner for CO washing and then a heavier product for normal conditioning.

A bit of lemon juice is also something you can add to your CO wash conditioner to help keep your scalp from being "gunky". This isn't as much effort as a ACV rinse, so it's not a hassle. If you buy the juice (in those little lemon-shaped bottles), rather than an entire lemon, it will last you a loooong time.

You might be on the right track with the water wash method, keeping CO washes to a minimum.

Good luck!
    2/3a mix

Shampoo-free since 09/04
  • KatiecurlKatiecurl Posts: 236Registered Users
    I have wavy 2b hair and I can't CO wash for the reason you just described. I use DevaCurl's No Poo twice a week, and that works pretty well!
    2a/b. I love AOHR!
  • PwniePwnie Posts: 29Registered Users
    I just started co-washing two or three weeks ago, and I'm experiencing the same problem. Grease right at the scalp line, and it doesn't help that my hair is naturally flat on top and curls towards the chin.

I've read that you can use apple cider vinegar (and other varieties) to wash the roots or tips or, I imagine, the whole head. I plan on trying this a few times a week to remove build-up. It also seems that you can use pretty much anything (in a conditioner or by its lonesome) to clean your hair. Lemon juice, baking soda, brown sugar, sugar, salt. I imagine these things work because some of them are acidic, and some can act as exfoliants. Pick one of these and try using it right on your scalp before you co-wash.
  • jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have a similar problem, so I'm glad you posted this question.

Brown sugar scrubs do help some but I'm just finding that my roots are often flatter than I'd like. It feels like conditioner stays there or something.

But because I color my hair, I've been afraid to use ACV or lemon juice -- I've always heard they strip color. Anybody have any suggestions for minimizing heaviness at the scalp while preserving hair color?

Thanks!
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • CarolinaCurlCarolinaCurl Posts: 12Registered Users
    I started CG in July and I had about a 6-week transition period, but I got through it and and SO glad I did! Let me tell you what worked for me:

I got a sulfate-free shampoo which I used once a week or so to help clear things up. I was co-washing every 3 days or so as well. I started out using Suave Professionals Humectant Conditioner for co-wash and daily conditioning, but I found that it was too heavy for me. Then I switched to a lighter conditioner (Suave Naturals Juicy Green Apple or Cucumber Melon), and while that solved the build-up problem, I wasn't getting enough moisture. I just figured out that my hair doesn't like to have conditioner left in it from daily conditioning like the CG book calls for...it leads straight to build-up. Instead, I started rinsing completely in the shower and using a leave-in, Garnier Fructis's Curl and Shine, while my hair was still wet. It has the a-cone, but my hair seems to tolerate it.

Then, gradually, I began to see that I could go longer and longer periods without the shampoo. I've phased it out now, but I know that I wouldn't have made it through my transition phase without it.

Good luck to you! I hope you can stick it out.
    Loving the beautiful world of CG! I think I have 2C/3A hair which is desperately aspiring to be a springy 3A. Maybe I'll get there some day!
  • FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    jillipoo wrote: »
    I have a similar problem, so I'm glad you posted this question.

Brown sugar scrubs do help some but I'm just finding that my roots are often flatter than I'd like. It feels like conditioner stays there or something.

But because I color my hair, I've been afraid to use ACV or lemon juice -- I've always heard they strip color. Anybody have any suggestions for minimizing heaviness at the scalp while preserving hair color?

Thanks!

I love [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Hair-Cleansing-Cream-p-103.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-hair-cleansing-cream]Jessicurl's HCC[/buylink] .... it won't strip your hair and when your scalp or hair is feeling gunky, it made a huge difference for me. I use the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-LowPoo-p-54.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-lowpoo]Deva Low Poo[/buylink] (I'm modified CG though), but the No Poo is meant for CG ... isn't it ... please correct me if I'm wrong :)

When I first stopped using shampoo, my roots were really greasy looking and flat as well. I know that part of it was the transition, but I also know that I was putting too much product near my roots.

I put very little product at my roots ... and no gel at my roots. If you're using CK, it could also be the culprit. I love CK, but I keep it away from my roots. When I put it at my roots, my hair looks greasy and wet (at my part) all day.

HTH
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
  • jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thank you, FrizzBgone! I have an appointment with a Deva-trained stylist here in San Francisco on January 2, so I think I will buy some No Poo right then and there. I've been trying to follow the book to the letter, but I think the time has come to face the fact that not all hair is going to respond to what she outlined.

And yes, I definitely have been keeping pretty much *everything* away from my roots, and yet still this problem plagues me! Aaargh!
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • KatiecurlKatiecurl Posts: 236Registered Users
    When you get your no poo, try mixing some brown sugar into that. I do it once a week and it works great!

Maybe you need a mild cleanser as well. I have an organic low-poo shampoo that I use a couple of times a month.

Let us know how your haircut goes!
    2a/b. I love AOHR!
  • AlessAless Posts: 5Registered Users
    Thanks all. Quick question: could proteins be causing this build-up? I confess I don't really understand or know much about them.

I've basically gone to a modified routine of washing with only hot water and then using cone-free CO (but washing it out with warm then cold water). I also use a sulfate-free 'poo twice a week now. Whenever I wash with the 'poo, my hair is wonderful and clean. The day before I 'poo, it's starting to get gunky and heavy again at the roots. I TRY and not put my daily conditioner anywhere near my roots, but they still manage to acrue build-up!

I'm in the UK, so my products probably don't mean much to you folks. I use a simple store-brand ('cone free!) CO and an organic, sulfate-free 'poo. Can I add lemon juice directly to the CO bottle to try and help the build-up? Will that negate the effects of the CO in the first place (conditioning!)?
  • dutch girldutch girl Posts: 150Registered Users
    maybe you could post the ingredients. proteins can cause build up but then your hair would feel dry and not greasy. the buildup can be caused by hard water or quats. no, lemon juice is acid and so is conditioner. it w'ont negate the effects of the co, an acid rinse will remove sebum and give you shine.
    type 3b.
    modified CG.
    CON red, inecto-co, invisigel.
  • miralalunamiralaluna Posts: 168Registered Users
    Maybe try mixing in some baking soda in with the conditioner you use on your scalp/roots. I usually use a paste made of baking soda and a bit of cinnamon powder and massage it into my scalp. It works very well for me. But don't do it too often.

Using ACV doesn't make you any less CG.... there's a wealth of recipes and variations out there. ACV doesn't damage your hair.

this is an excellent community:
    http://community.livejournal.com/no_poo
    Fine texture (I think?!), normal porosity
    No 'poo since May 2007

Current products (used only as & when required!):
    - Naked Sensitive Scalp conditioner
    - Shikakai powder
    - Jojoba oil

My Fotki - pw: curlywhirly
  • miralalunamiralaluna Posts: 168Registered Users
    Aless wrote: »
    Thanks all. Quick question: could proteins be causing this build-up? I confess I don't really understand or know much about them.

I've basically gone to a modified routine of washing with only hot water and then using cone-free CO (but washing it out with warm then cold water). I also use a sulfate-free 'poo twice a week now. Whenever I wash with the 'poo, my hair is wonderful and clean. The day before I 'poo, it's starting to get gunky and heavy again at the roots. I TRY and not put my daily conditioner anywhere near my roots, but they still manage to acrue build-up!

I'm in the UK, so my products probably don't mean much to you folks. I use a simple store-brand ('cone free!) CO and an organic, sulfate-free 'poo. Can I add lemon juice directly to the CO bottle to try and help the build-up? Will that negate the effects of the CO in the first place (conditioning!)?
    I'm in the UK too. What brand of 'sulfate-free' shampoo are you using? Chances are it has some other kind of harsh chemical in it.
    Fine texture (I think?!), normal porosity
    No 'poo since May 2007

Current products (used only as & when required!):
    - Naked Sensitive Scalp conditioner
    - Shikakai powder
    - Jojoba oil

My Fotki - pw: curlywhirly
  • AlessAless Posts: 5Registered Users
    I was using ASDA-brand shampoo (whatever their knock-off of Herbal Essences is called), but now I'm onto Original Source (Mint + whatever variety...I don't have the bottle in front of me, so can't remember) conditioner.

I don't use any of my roots - I just scrub under the warm water for that & then apply the CO on my ends (with the LIGHTEST brushing on the top of my head with my hands after coating the tips), let set while I wash body/shave/wash face/etc. and then rinse briefly.

I use Boots curl creme as my styling product, but again I try and not put any on my roots. I think the build-up is more my scalp than product, since I used to get a similar coated/weighed-down-ness before going no-poo (whenever I skipped washings). Must have a naturally oily head? Anyway, using my sulfate-free poo does the trick, I just don't want to have to use it everyday (mega-expensive stuff), so was looking for EASY and CHEAP alternative. ACV is good, but I just wanted something that was easy for my quick pre-work morning shower.

Thanks all! I'll try different things...maybe premix a batch of baking soda or ACV and keep it on hand for weekday mornings or something.
  • ACHACH Posts: 245Registered Users
    Katiecurl wrote: »
    I have wavy 2b hair and I can't CO wash for the reason you just described. I use DevaCurl's No Poo twice a week, and that works pretty well!

I've been using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Hair-Cleansing-Cream-p-103.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-hair-cleansing-cream]Jessicurl HCC[/buylink] and it has been fabulous.
    Amy
    2b/3a-ish at times
    http://public.fotki.com/AHopewell1/hair/
    PW hair

Currently using
    Jessicurl HCC
    Aloeba
    CK
    AG Liquid Effects
  • ACHACH Posts: 245Registered Users
    Aless wrote: »

Here is what I do as my "build-up test" if you want to try it next time you apply your products. Say for example you have a curl creme and you've applied it to your hair. Your palms are probably coated at this point. Put your hands under running water and gently rub them together. How easy/hard is it to rinse the product from your hands? This simple test has really helped me eliminate products that build up on my hair. If you really have to do some rubbing or keep your hands under the water for long, you know it is going to cling to your hair like crazy since we obviously are rubbing our hands harder than we would our hair.
    Amy
    2b/3a-ish at times
    http://public.fotki.com/AHopewell1/hair/
    PW hair

Currently using
    Jessicurl HCC
    Aloeba
    CK
    AG Liquid Effects

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji