Anyone on Lipitor?

starinastarina Registered Users Posts: 665 Curl Neophyte
Just recently found out I had high cholesterol (271). The doc says it's genetic and not much more I can do diet-wise to change it, so she prescribed Lipitor. My sister was on it also but said she's not taking it anymore because of the severe side effect of muscle aching. The doc warned me about this. Has anyone else had this side effect, or any others?
I have 3A hair. I've discovered Jessicurl shampoo and Too Shea conditioner and I'm thrilled! Long-time LA Looks sport gel user.

Comments

• susancnwsusancnw Registered Users Posts: 1,374 Curl Novice
    I"ve been on it for a couple of years. No problems with achy muscles, but I did notice today when I was reading Dr. Weil's website that there are some side effects to it that I might be experiencing. As I am changing doctors, it'll be something I discuss with my new one.
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

• SnarlsSnarls Registered Users Posts: 2,537
    Starina, I think my cholesterol is as high as yours. My diagnoses is "borderline high cholesterol." No one has ever mentioned a prescription to me. One doctor, once, about 12 years ago, sent me some antiquated information on eating chicken and fish and avoiding animal fat. Which I'm pretty good about anyway.

Hopefully I'll be seeing my doctor soon and I can ask about this. I'm not eager to get on medication, but I'm wondering if I need to be more aggressive about the cholesterol situation. So far, my ratio of good cholesterol to bad cholesterol has always been very good, and several doctors have told me THAT is what matters, more than the bad cholesterol viewed in isolation.
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Registered Users Posts: 1,031 Curl Connoisseur
    mines high too, 231 but my HDL is 96 so the ratio puts me at low risk. i think it is hi because i was addicted to cheese puffs (barbaras cheddar bakes--incredible!!) and ice cream--i've drastically cut down on both so hopefully all will be better next blood test. liver enzymes slightly elevated so i have to get a liver scan too. my BP is low and everything else is good. i would not take anything if i could avoid it....good luck
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
  • starinastarina Registered Users Posts: 665 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the replies. I absolutely hate being on medication but the doc said that when this is a genetic problem you can't control it by diet and I'm already eating relatively healthy most of the time. I don't eat cheese puffs or ice cream (although I sure would like to!) and stay away from processed foods. I'm not perfect but overall, my diet is pretty good.

Castella, glad to hear you are going to be following up on your cholesterol. Hopefully, you won't have to go on meds, but once the cholesterol reaches a certain level, it might be necessary. I've been experiencing mild stomach cramping from the Lipitor but no muscle aching.
    I have 3A hair. I've discovered Jessicurl shampoo and Too Shea conditioner and I'm thrilled! Long-time LA Looks sport gel user.
    I hear you on the medications. It's no fun.

I looked at my numbers from 2005 and my overall cholesterol is higher than yours. My bad cholesterol is in the abnormal range (137). My father was already on drugs for his cholesterol and blood pressure when he was in his 30s, so I don't know why it's never been suggested to me. Maybe because I'm a woman or because my blood pressure tends to be low? Ugh. I hope my doctor is willing to really talk about this and doesn't just write me a prescription. I'd like to know if there are other options. I already exercise a lot (that's what keeps my BP low). I could improve my diet. By which I mean, theoretically it's possible that I could eat less fat. But realistically, I don't know what I would change other than switching from 2% milk to skim and eliminating chocolate ...:evil1: ... this is how people become crack addicts! you take away the chocolate and what else is there!
    formerly Castella
    This (MSNBC/Men's Health) makes me feel better.

The chocolate stays!
    formerly Castella
  • starinastarina Registered Users Posts: 665 Curl Neophyte
    Castella wrote: »
    I hear you on the medications. It's no fun.

I looked at my numbers from 2005 and my overall cholesterol is higher than yours. My bad cholesterol is in the abnormal range (137). My father was already on drugs for his cholesterol and blood pressure when he was in his 30s, so I don't know why it's never been suggested to me. Maybe because I'm a woman or because my blood pressure tends to be low? Ugh. I hope my doctor is willing to really talk about this and doesn't just write me a prescription. I'd like to know if there are other options. I already exercise a lot (that's what keeps my BP low). I could improve my diet. By which I mean, theoretically it's possible that I could eat less fat. But realistically, I don't know what I would change other than switching from 2% milk to skim and eliminating chocolate ...:evil1: ... this is how people become crack addicts! you take away the chocolate and what else is there!

I exercise also and my BP is low (110/60). My triglycerides were normal as was my HDL, but the total cholesterol and LDL were high. I love my doc and have confidence in her, so when she said I would need to be on meds, I believed her. I wish there was some other way, but in my case there doesn't appear to be. I'd be curious to know what your doc says when you see him/her. Sounds like your situation might be genetic also.
  • curlyfrancurlyfran Registered Users Posts: 25
    I have been on lipitor for more than 10 years and have not had any problems. Mine is also genetic and when my 28 hear old daughter was tested and had elevated cholesterol her physician also put her on lipitor because of the family history. When my younger sister was tested she too had inherited the high cholesterol and after going from medication to medication without much success she was finally prescribed lipitor and it has been successful at lowering hers also.
  • bensonhurstbensonhurst Registered Users Posts: 12
    My cholesterol was 241. After I started taking Lipitor, it went down to 150, then stabilized at 180.
  • flcurlyflcurly Registered Users Posts: 42 Curl Neophyte
    My husband was on it and then on Zocor. He stopped taking both because of muscle weakness ( one of the side effects). What I can't understand is the heart is a muscle so why would they create something that could possibly weaken the heart!

Anyway, he was concerned about his high cholesterol and we both went for body scans. Found out that even though his cholesterol and triglycerides are both high he doesn't have even a trace of plaque in his arteries, etc. or any arteriosclerosis.

There was an interesting book called The Cholesterol Myths : Exposing the Fallacy that Saturated Fat and Cholesterol Cause Heart Disease by Uffe Ravnskov. It is on Amazon. It might be worth checking out.
  • munchkinmunchkin Registered Users Posts: 2,909 Curl Connoisseur
    I am on Simvistatin which is the generic (my health insurance suggested this). Luckily, I have had as good results with it as with the Lipitor. I don't notice joint or muscle aches. I do tend to get a lot of cramps in my feet and legs when sleepeing, but nothing I can't live with. Between the Simvistatin, Metamucil and walking on the treadmill 2 miles a day (3 or 4 times a week), my cholesterol is at a very good level now. Heart problems run in my family so I am thankful there is something out there that can keep this under control.
    3b/c
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    starina wrote: »
    I exercise also and my BP is low (110/60).
    My BP is exactly the same!

I have you all beat on high cholesterol. In August of 2002, my total cholesterol was at its highest: 314! :shock: It is hereditary, but no one in our family has had problems with it. I have a few aunts and my dad that are on meds. I've been taking Zocor/simvistatin for about 5 years now. I haven't had any problems, but I wonder if it isn't causing muscle weakness, although no pain. I have gotten weaker and loss muscle mass over the years, but then I am getting older and I don't exercise as much either. I forget my numbers now, but it's in the low range.

I'm reading that article Castella posted, and I'll check out the book flcurly posted. Interesting stuff. I'd rather not take the meds but they guilted me into it with the "you're a mom now" speech. :roll:
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    PS - Castella, I'm with you on the chocolate too! I don't eat a lot, but I will never give up my dark chocolate. Besides, it's actually good for you! :D
    Castella wrote: »
    This (MSNBC/Men's Health) makes me feel better.

The chocolate stays!

OK, I finished reading the article. Interesting food for thought. You know, my cholesterol has increased over the years since my first doctor told me to cut out ALL fats, even good ones. :roll: But like they say, your body does need cholesterol, and if you don't eat enough your body needs to make more. I try to eat healthy fats (olive, nuts, avocado, etc) mostly. I went back to eating eggs occasionally too. Hmm....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file