baking soda needed with very hard water?

Hello! I'm new to no-poo, thick and wavy with a few ringlets on the neck and pretty straight & coarse at the crown. I did no-poo for a little over a week, but then read some of the stuff on 'cones, which all my products had, so I had to start over--I was getting buildup and it wasn't pretty. So I'm reading about some people doing a CO with light conditioner at roots and normal for the length (but neither has cones), and others are doing a baking soda with ACV rinse.

Does the CO leave your natural oils? That's kind of what I'm trying to experiment with, and I'm okay with my hair being slightly greasy-looking for a while (I'm in the middle of exams so everyone looks like that :P), so I don't want to start taking the oils out, but just distributing them down the shaft of the hair. (Does that make sense?)

Also, does the baking soda leave some oils in there? I live in a red zone (highest amount) for hard water, which is high in alkali, which is the same thing that makes baking soda clean the hair, so do I even need to do the baking soda? And if I don't, do I do conditioner first, and then ACV, or what? Or could I just go with water and a brushing routine, with conditioner on the ends as needed?

Before I had to start over, I was doing water only with lots of combing and brushing, and then did an ACV rinse which made it worse (probably because of the 'cones). My hair looked good from the ears down, but the top was a frizzy greasy mess.

I guess I'm just confused about how the two styles of no-poo (CO and all-natural) meet. I know I'm going to have to experiment with it, but I'm hoping I can figure out where's the best place to start when I rinse my hair tomorrow.

Comments

• darkBlondiedarkBlondie Posts: 84Registered Users
    Hi Comicalcupcake and welcome :) I´m also doing the no ´poo method for 1,5 months now. For almost a month I´ve been hanging on this forum, of which I read about in an "usual" no ´poo forum. I´ve been a little confused, too, about using a CO or not. I had a good start with no ´poo with just washing with water and also with baking soda and rinsing every now and then with ACV (like in my signature) and I didn´t want to go using products again unless necessary. After starting no ´poo I figured out that my hair was starting to be wavy/curly specially on the neck and other side and somehow straight on the crown specially on the other side. When learning here that curls need a lot of moisture I´m experimenting how to moisturize it, rather with a natural homemade recipe. Here´s one experiment (don´t necessarily try :wink: ): http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?p=435370#post435370

There are surely more experienced ones to give you better answers, but to my view a CG friendly CO should remain natural oils in hair, because it doesn´t contain cleansing ingredients and it´s water soluble. Still a warning: please read the informative label well to be sure that it doesn´t contain i.g. -cones, is water soluble, etc. It would be pity to start the no ´poo process all over. Here you can find a link including a list of ingredients: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?p=433986#post433986
    so I don't want to start taking the oils out, but just distributing them down the shaft of the hair. (Does that make sense?)
    Yes, that makes sense :) I think the same way. You don´t have to use baking soda, it´s just for help to cleanse the scalp if it feels too greasy. Actually in another forum it´s recommended that it´s better to wash just with water after the scalp has normalized from the over-produce of oils. Some do that, some continue washing with baking soda. About the order of ACV and CO, just read this forum, some do ACV before CO, some after.
    Or could I just go with water and a brushing routine, with conditioner on the ends as needed?
    I´d say that sounds good, but think about the brushing. When you read this forum more, brushing is a no no for curlies. Some use a wide toothed comb after CO when the hair is wet.

I hope that I could help at least to start. Good luck in experimenting :nike:
    2A; CG friendly COs, adding time to time ACV, cocoanut oil, jojoba oil, glycerin, aloe vera juice or aloe vera gel; product-free
    Just one more issue to think about: some hairtypes absorb oils well, some don´t. If you try a hair treatment with oils, I´d recommend to start carefully and from the ends. This is because with no ´poo method the hair can remain greasy (or you have to wash many times) if it doesn´t absorb oils. A baking soda wash helps some amount though.
    2A; CG friendly COs, adding time to time ACV, cocoanut oil, jojoba oil, glycerin, aloe vera juice or aloe vera gel; product-free
  • comicalcupcakecomicalcupcake Posts: 3Registered Users
    Wow! Thanks for all the great info! I've been doing occasional ACV rinses and it seems to work nicely. I've also been using water infused with lemon juice, it's supposed to neutralize some of the water hardness and chlorine. I tried to WO (with lemon), but I can't wear a hat forever, as I'm going to Hawaii soon! This time I tried a CO with Alberto VO5 and it seemed to make it more "clean" while leaving most of the sebum. So I think I'll keep doing that, at least until I get back from Hawaii. I'm a little wary of the baking soda, because I just know I would neglect to wash it all out and then I'd have an embarrassing residue. But I will try it if I need it. Better than shampoo!
    Nice if I could help :) Did you check the VO5 that it didn´t contain any mineral oils? They stand on the list as organic oils. I read it on another forum (?) that also lanolin, petrolatum, isopropanol, vaseline, ozokerit (?), polyisobutene, E905 and isododecane belong to the group of mineral oils. At least those ingredients are not recommended in this method.

Someone wiser can correct if needed ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file