Need some new products and how often do you trim your hair?

jeannie_bjeannie_b Posts: 73Registered Users
My DD-5 has 3c (mostly, some 4c) hair. We got it cut today. Cut quite a bit off (the history is that her hair got very damaged doing 8 straight weeks of swimming lessons this past summer and we cut it in July and did a second cut today. Her ends were very dry and frizzy.).

We're in need of product and possibly a new routine. I've been using a few different conditioners (rotating, doing a conditioner wash every other day and washing her hair once a week or less with Kids Organics Shea Butter Shampoo) and then just using a leave-in (need a new and better one, though) and finishing with CurlKeeper. It's been an okay routine, but I haven't loved it.

Can I get some suggestions and am I missing anything in our routine? Should I be using an oil at night or before the CurlKeeper? We live in a very dry climate and her hair is very typically dry, also. Also, how often do you trim the ends of your hair. I'd like to start trying to grow my daughter's hair out again (we've cut so much off between July's cut and this cut. It's so short.... :/ ).

Thanks for any help!

Here is my gal! Oh and you can see my straight-haired 2 year old sitting right next to my curly-girl, too. lol

IMGP0874.jpg

Comments

• HeatherNicoleHeatherNicole Posts: 1,316Registered Users
    Oh she's too effin cute. Have you tried using any Aubrey Organics on her? The Honeysuckle Rose is a good conditioner. You should try SheaMoisture as a leave in. I have naturally dry hair as well and something that I do is regular deep treatments. I don't know how well that'd work on such a young girl. If you can get her to sit still that long it'd probably be a good idea. B/c my hair has a tendency to get dry too, I HAVE to trim the suggested time every 6-8 weeks. Also, try to get her to drink alot of water.

I HTH. She's adorable.
    Thick coarse 3c/4a prone to dryness.
    Staples
    Aphogee 2 Step treatment
    Generic Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Tigi MM Conditioner
    Creme of Nature Shampoo for dry hair
    KCCC
    Denman D3
    Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    SheaMoisture Leave-in
    http://public.fotki.com/MsHeatherNicole/

"Make it work!"- Tim Gunn
  • jeannie_bjeannie_b Posts: 73Registered Users
    Thanks so much for replying (I love your hair, btw! I pray that my daughter loves her curls as an adult!) I spent all day yesterday reading threads and searching for products. My head is spinning.

I ordered SheaMoisture last night (a sample size) and I think I'll drag out the kids later and see if I can find the Aubrey Organics.

I've never liked the way gel works in my daughter's hair as a finishing product, but I'll try again. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

I think I will have to start doing some deep conditioning treatments. I just want her hair to be healthy and look good. Not too much to ask, right? ;)
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh she's soooo adorable! I love her hair!
    My daughter has similar hair texture to your daughter's. I use shea butter in her hair, other deep conditioners, and I always braid her hair every night before she goes to bed to prevent tangles. I don't like to use gel on my baby's hair either so I use Paul Mitchell mousse.

My daughter (9) has hair down to her waist when stretched and I take care of her hair every day whether its moisturizing or keeping it in protective styles. By the way, don't worry about its length. If you keep her hair healthy she can have long hair again in a year or two. I only let my daughter have her hair down a few times a month, the rest of the time its in a bun, 2 pigtails braided, one ponytail, etc which helps keep it tangled.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your daughter is such a pretty girl. And her hair is looking 100% better.

Deep treatments (20 minutes under heat or a hot towel)
    The one I'm loving is [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Blended-Beauty-Herbal-Reconditioner-p-380.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=blended-beauty-herbal-reconditioning-treatment]Blended Beauty Herbal Reconditioner[/buylink] - instant detangle and goes on like seaweed butter.

Loosely tie her hair up at night (1 or 2 fabric covered scruncies should do it). In the morning scrunch a reviving cream sparingly (1/4-1/2 teaspoon) into her hair to fluff out. I use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-Set-it-Free-p-259.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-set-it-free]Devacurl Set it Free[/buylink] and a bit of any cream styler I have around, or pomade. The Set it free is softening and moisturizing.

Mix a bit of oil and honey into a drugstore rinseout conditoner

A nice whipped butter or cream pomade on the ends after washing and conditioning, while hair is still wet and before you use leave-in or styler. Anita Grant makes some nice ones, or blend your own. I use a blend of murumuru butter, castor oil, coconut oil and a drop of glycerin.

I can't remember, but before swimming were you wetting her hair and applying conditioner under the cap to keep the chorine water from absorbing too much?
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.

A nice whipped butter or cream pomade on the ends after washing and conditioning, while hair is still wet and before you use leave-in or styler. Anita Grant makes some nice ones, or blend your own. I use a blend of murumuru butter, castor oil, coconut oil and a drop of glycerin.

I can't remember, but before swimming were you wetting her hair and applying conditioner under the cap to keep the chorine water from absorbing too much?

No, I was dense and didn't do enough research before starting the lessons. I wasn't doing anything other than braiding and rinsing *after* swimming. Her hair was so damaged. :( We'll be doing lessons again this summer and I will do it right!

I appreciate your responses so much. I purchased SheaM and Aubrey's but I had to get both online. Who knows how long it'll take.

In the meantime, I've been putting a bit of oil (grapeseed because that's what I have on-hand) in her leave-in.

Today I tried something different and her hair looks amazing. I combed through her hair with MopTops conditioner and left it on for a good 30 minutes. Then I rinsed it and put her leave-in all over her hair (not a good leave-in, but it's what I have) with a bit of oil mixed in. Then I got a little bit of my thicker conditioner (Kids Organics) and put a bit of oil in that and put that on her ends. Then I used MopTops gel all over as a finished product. Her hair looked amazing. :toothy7:I'm sure I won't do that often, it seems a little product-heavy (doesn't *look* product-heavy, though). Her curls look teeny-tiny, too. I wonder why.

Suburbanbushbabe, do you have a recipe for your butter? Would you be willing to share, if so?

I'll get some honey the next time I'm at the health food store, also. Do you just put the oil and honey into the container or do you add it right before you put it on the hair?

Thanks so much for all the help!
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You're welcome! I think your daughter is absolutely adorable. I know how challenging it is to take care of their hair every day with no break. I love doing other people's hair so its not a bother. My stepdaughters both have curly hair down to their waist so on the weekends my arms are sore from all that combing LOL

This is a recent picture of my 9 yr old baby. In this picture I washed, conditioned and put some mousse in it. Pretty easy. At night I will wash out the mousse, add extra conditioner, put it in a ponytail and braid it for protection.

DSC03080.jpg
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Today I tried something different and her hair looks amazing. I combed through her hair with MopTops conditioner and left it on for a good 30 minutes. Then I rinsed it and put her leave-in all over her hair (not a good leave-in, but it's what I have) with a bit of oil mixed in. Then I got a little bit of my thicker conditioner (Kids Organics) and put a bit of oil in that and put that on her ends. Then I used MopTops gel all over as a finished product. Her hair looked amazing. :toothy7:I'm sure I won't do that often, it seems a little product-heavy (doesn't *look* product-heavy, though). Her curls look teeny-tiny, too. I wonder why.

Suburbanbushbabe, do you have a recipe for your butter? Would you be willing to share, if so?

That doesn't sound product heavy to me, it's just conditioner and gel. I'm so glad it worked.

Butter: not really a recipe. It was my first time making it and I just winged it. In terms of total yield, around 3 ounces after being whipped. I had some murumuru butter (hard) from a web shop. I took a little chunk of that and melted in the microwave, added castor oil, coconut oil and a little glycerin, then mixed with a hand mixer. They say you should blend, then refrigerate, then blend again for fluffiness, but I had to remelt it a little to blend again because my hand mixer is not powerful. Anyway, it works even if it's not as fluffy as it could be. Measurements were approx. 1/3-1/2 butter, 1/3 castor oil, 1/6 coconut oil, 1/6 or less glycerin. I'm sure you can use any good butter and oil, like shea and avocado. You can add a little aloe vera or conditioner.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    mariag, your daughter is beautiful. She has stunning eyes! I think if I just conditioned my daughter's hair and put mousse in, she'd have a halo. Her hair gets BIG. It wouldn't hang down, like your daughter's hair, it would just poof out into an enormous ball of fluff. Even the stylist who cut her hair on Saturday (who has curly hair herself) said, "Wow, her hair is *beyond* curly." It's like..... layers upon layers of curls. Does that make sense? It's really difficult to wet, too, because it's so dense. I don't mind taking care of her hair (mostly because I'm in total awe of her curls, they're so perfect, just perfect little coils, it floors me.......) but she is only 5 so she often gets impatient with how time consuming it is to properly care for her hair. If we skip a day, we pay dearly in the tub the following day. I'm hoping that by learning the tricks of the curly-hair-trade now, that I'll be an expert and can easily teach her when she's ready to take over her own routine!

Suburbanbushbabe, thanks for your post. I'm not too handy, maybe I'll just buy a butter already mixed. I'll find one and try it out, after my experiment today (leaving some regular conditioner/oil on her ends instead of rinsing it all out), I can totally see how a good butter could help her ends from getting so dry and frizzy. Thanks again!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file