calorie sensitive or carb sensitive?

PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
with some of the carb threads floating around, it got me wondering. it seems like for some people, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie and it doesn't matter WHAT they eat, just how many calories they consume. for others, it seems like they're body weight is much more sensitive to WHAT they eat - like if they avoid carbs they can eat as much as they want of everything else (like atkins preaches).

i'm TOTALLY calorie sensitive. the only times i've ever successfully intentionally lost weight was by reducing the number of calories i ate, whether or not i did it in conjuction with exercise. i've never given up carbs. sometimes i've reduced them and/or selected whole grain options, but never given them up.

so what about you all?
Faith, 3Aish redhead
Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• mazeymazey Posts: 709Registered Users
    I am definitely a calorie/fat watcher. I just avoid "bad carbs" like white bread, white rice, etc. because they are basically just empty calories. I couldn't live without my carbs!
    Madonna getting upset with her daughter for dressing too slutty is like Mr. T getting upset with his son for pitying too many fools.
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    I'm more exercise sensitive.

I lose weight if my body's busy fighting off being sick, whether I pig out or eat nothing, and I lose weight if I exercise. Diet seems to have zero effect on my weight. Which can be quite frustrating at times!
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • CherishCherish Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    Calorie. I also watch my (bad) fat intake. I do avoid supermarket aisle white bread because I get a belly/pouch from it. Otherwise, I'm fine with breads.

I only eat white rice, no other kind and have never found it detrimental in any way. I also love couscous, vermicelli, etc.

I love carbs and besides, I need them for my workouts.
  • curlylew66curlylew66 Posts: 1,685Registered Users
    Carbs. I have problems with my blood sugar.
    I only eat healthy carbs with my meals. I don't miss any of the junk foods at all. I have been clean and sober from the junk food for years.
    It is amazing how many aisles I don't shop from at the grocery store.
    I seem to make a sweep around the aisles shopping from the fruit, vegetable, cheese and meat departments. The center part of the store seems to carry all the stuff I avoid. OH and NO CORN ever! :wink:
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
    Technically, a calorie is a unit measure of energy in food. However, how that unit of energy is packaged can make a world of difference which interacts with different body chemistries in different ways. Once again, we're all unique and I have to find what works for me and it will not work for everyone.

For me, I watch saturated fats - they bloat me up and slow me down. If I eat straight sugar, I'll pop high and crash. So I tend to go for more complex carbs but I'm wheat intolerant, so my issues never end :lol: I could never do a no-carb or low-carb diet - I'd loose way too much weight. I really struggle to keep it on. Reasonable amount of unsaturated fat with protein and carbs is the way for me.
    ________
    The Cliff Condo Pattaya
  • puffinpuffin Posts: 205Registered Users
    I chose calorie-sensitive but really that's the only thing I've tried when dieting - cutting calories. I've never tried cutting back on carbs, and who knows, that might be the magic answer for me. Maybe I'll try a modified version of low-carb - I'd still like to be able to eat my cereal and fruits and veggies too.
    Also wanted to add: once a person gets on the low carbing bandwagon e.g atkins, they can develop higher level of carb sensitivity that may not have been present initially (studies exist, but too lazy find link). I think years from now, many more people will be carb sensitive and will be caught up in a vicious cycle if they don't stick to those diets.
  • Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    Low carb diets work because people eat fewer calories on them. There is no magic involved. Sure, there's a little difference for some people between the kinds of calories they're eating, but that's really not the driving force. Calories out need to be more than calories in to lose weight. That's ALL there is to it. All the different diets out there are just different ways to achieve this.

On low carb diets you eat a lot of protein and fat, and therefore feel full. Your bloodsugar remains pretty steady, so you don't have the "crashes" that lead to cravings, and a vicious cycle of eating, feeling hungry, eating, feeling hungry, etc. And therefore people eat less.
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    Who Me? wrote:
    Low carb diets work because people eat fewer calories on them. There is no magic involved. Sure, there's a little difference for some people between the kinds of calories they're eating, but that's really not the driving force. Calories out need to be more than calories in to lose weight. That's ALL there is to it. All the different diets out there are just different ways to achieve this.

On low carb diets you eat a lot of protein and fat, and therefore feel full. Your bloodsugar remains pretty steady, so you don't have the "crashes" that lead to cravings, and a vicious cycle of eating, feeling hungry, eating, feeling hungry, etc. And therefore people eat less.

this is how i've always felt too.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • CostenyaCostenya Posts: 520Registered Users
    It's interesting what Cherish said about eating white rice. I'm convinced my body does not digest brown rice well--even though I've been eating it for years since I started my "health food" kick.

It's all about the calories for me. :D Everything (that your body can handle) in moderation!
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    Actually, low carb diets aren't just a reduction of calories. They do strange things to your body.

A doctor friend said to me something to the effect that Atkins and super low carb diets cause catabolism - breakdown of muscle protein increases, and protein synthesis stops.

This link gives more info which seems to go along with what she was saying to me: http://www.pioneerthinking.com/gl_lowcarb.html

This is why there's a difference between carb reduction and the scary low carb diets. I think if you're trying to reduce carbs, looking up info for diabetics is a good way to go-the carbs are reduced, but not such crazy low levels, and it's very maintainable.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    Sure, it's possible and even likely that extremely low carb or no carb diets do all sorts of things to your body.

But the weight loss experienced by people on the Atkins diet, and other low carb diets, has been shown (too lazy to look up studies) to be mainly or even solely a result of a reduction in calories consumed.

I eat low carb and I go to forums that support low carb dieting. It is in no way a magic diet that some people seem to think it is. It is just a WAY to eat less and feel better. The same as Weight Watchers or any other diet is a WAY to eat less and feel better.

If I regularly eat more than a minimal amount of carbs (espesially sweets) I always feel hungry, and always want to eat sugar. When I was eating "normally" I could ALWAYS eat. I didn't understand how people could pass something up!

Now that I eat low carb, I actually feel full to the extent I don't want to eat more. And I am able to turn down food which is offered to me, because I don't have the cravings, the desire, the need to have it if it's there. This is why I have lost weight.
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
    NetG wrote:
    Actually, low carb diets aren't just a reduction of calories. They do strange things to your body.

A doctor friend said to me something to the effect that Atkins and super low carb diets cause catabolism - breakdown of muscle protein increases, and protein synthesis stops.

This link gives more info which seems to go along with what she was saying to me: http://www.pioneerthinking.com/gl_lowcarb.html

This is why there's a difference between carb reduction and the scary low carb diets. I think if you're trying to reduce carbs, looking up info for diabetics is a good way to go-the carbs are reduced, but not such crazy low levels, and it's very maintainable.

Low carbing also affects a certain gland (maybe thyroid?) and from that comes the heightened carb sensitivity.

I've been to Atkins and low carbing forums out of interest, and when some of those women (and men) fall off the wagon for just a few weeks, they gain inhuman amounts of weights.

But, whatever.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I'd say "carb sensitive" on the basis that most of the junk that goes into my body is carb-based. Any time I've tried to lower calories, its generally involved limiting protein and fat and that's just ended up leaving me hungry.

Hubby and I followed the South Beach Diet to lose weight almost 2 years ago and have kept with most of its principles in our daily eating since. Basically we lay off the filler carbs (white bread and pasta, rice, potatoes) and limit the sugary stuff. Hubby uses Splenda as a sugar substitute for drinks, but I don't.

There's a couple of New England Journal of Medicine articles (last year?) out of UPenn, where they studied low-carb vs low-fat diets. Over the course of the year, they found that the success rates were pretty much the same for both groups. The real issue was compliance. Finding an eating plan that works for you and stick to it is the bottom line.
  • CurlsWannaHaveFunCurlsWannaHaveFun Posts: 251Registered Users
    As far as weight maintenance is concerned it is all about the calories. I can eat 80-100% carbs and as long as I monitor my calorie intake, I'm fine.

However, if I eat refined carbs (super sugary things) they really make me feel off. My blood sugar spikes then crashes and I feel not great and get major munchies. Doesn't stop me on occasion but I certainly can't eat those things all the time.
    4a with 3c patches/LOIS daughter O/S spongy fine, natural since 1999

Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence.
    - Vince Lombardi

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file