CurlTalk

PEG-40 Castor Oil ???

What is PEG-40 Castor Oil?

Is it non-CG stuff? Meaning, am I going to have to use something stronger than a low sulfate or c... betaine cleanser to remove it?

I don't want to go back to strong sulfates more than once a month (clarifier) if I don't have to.:sad8:

Thanks!

Comments

• jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users
    According to this site:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.oilchem.com%2Fprod_list.cfm%3Find%3Dpaint%26amp%3Btype%3DNonionic%2520Surfactants" class="Popup

it appears to be an emulsifier/lubricant, but it doesn't look like it's water-soluble, which could be problematic for hair. PEG-60, though, is water-soluble. Boy, it pays to read labels, huh?
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fjillipoo.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • echokittenechokitten Posts: 1,751Registered Users
    Just my $.02 here...Castor Oil in any form makes my hair feel the same way as it did before I went protein free. Crunchy, dry and abstract frizzies, which incidentally, is why I had to stop using the LOOB.
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    Jillipoo,

I love your little monkey pic, he/she is so cute! SQUEAL

~~~

Thanks both of you for the info.

I never really paid much attention to PEGs because I thought they'd be easy enough to get rid of like most silicones supposedly are with the c... betaine. :dontknow:

I wonder what else I should be paying attention to? It seems like every time I shampoo I lose a bunch of hair, even with a low sulfate or c... betaine cleanser. ???

Though it might not be the cleanser; I do have to make a follow up appointment with my doc about issues possibly being thyroid, & previous low blood results & nodule biopsy results.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users
    The PEG in front should make it water soluble, so you shouldn't need shampoo to get it out.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    Maybe I'll give it a try.

It's a sampler conditioner for thinning & fine hair, which hardly has any oils & no silicones, I don't think it even has polyquats or protein, that I picked up at a salon supply that sells stuff other places don't.

I can't even pronounce the name of the item. Without it sitting in front of me, I think it's J-a-p-anese, maybe Korean or Chinese. I had to use dashes because of the crazy new sensor. :lol: