Dry dry hair

I just started the shampoo-less routine a few days ago. Since I am living in mainland China right now, it was extremely difficult to find a conditioner without silicones in it, but I managed to pick up a bottle of Freeman Papaya and Lime condish the other day (for almost $10 USD, ACK). First I clarified, then used that conditioner, the next day I co-washed and used brown sugar to scrub my scalp, and today I used water only to wash my hair. I was really surprised to find that today my hair feels extremely dry, more so than it does when I used to use shampoo alone (which was not that often!). The curl formation is great and my hair appears pretty shiny, but it's very dry to the touch. Is this because I am just discovering how much I have damaged my hair over the years using harsh shampoos, or because there is something in my new conditioner (i.e. proteins) that is drying our my hair? Since I'm new to this I'm not really sure how my hair is supposed to feel when it's completely product free.

For reference, here is the ingredient list on my conditioner:

Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Carica Papaya fruit extract, Lime Fruit extract, Coconut extract, Kelp extract, Panthenol, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycerin, Polysorbate 60, Stearalkonium Chloride, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, PEG-75 Lanolin, DMDM Hydantoin, Propylene Glycol, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Citronellol, Geraniol, Limonene, Fragrance.

Comments

• kdcreighkdcreigh Posts: 736Registered Users
    Could be because your conditioner has a shampoo ingredient in it - cocamidopropyl betaine is used as a mild cleanser in many shampoos.
    YES WE CAN!

kdcreigh 4a and b (who knows?:dontknow:)

Relegated to occasional lurking in order to keep the PJ in check!
    :lurk:

http://public.fotki.com/kdcreigh/
    PW: natural
  • agent_003bdagent_003bd Posts: 142Registered Users
    Have you thought about a deep treatment to help with your dry hair? Do you have access to coconut oil or coconut milk? You can use these as separate deep treatments, use them in the shower when you normally condition your hair, or even put them on after your shower to help with dryness.

There are other oils (like jojoba, olive, sweet almond, etc) and homemade deep treatments that people use for dry hair. You might check out the "Recipes - for hair and body" forum for ideas.

Good luck!

P.S. I know what it is like trying to find good products in a new place... keep your chin up! :)
    2/3a mix

Shampoo-free since 09/04
  • darkBlondiedarkBlondie Posts: 84Registered Users
    Lalalea, did you remember to wash your hair with a sulfate shampoo that doesn´t contain silicones before going no `poo? Only the sulfates clean the hair from silicones.
    2A; CG friendly COs, adding time to time ACV, cocoanut oil, jojoba oil, glycerin, aloe vera juice or aloe vera gel; product-free

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file