The preparing of flaxweed seed gel

Anyone made this home made gel? http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/recipe/recipe.asp?recipe_id=214

I tried to find the thread where I got this link but couldn´t. I made this gel yesterday. In the recipe it says that you can store it in the refridgerator during a week. I don´t know what did I do wrong, because after lots of straining all I got was one tablespoonful of gel. It was just enough (or maybe a bit too much) for one use, so there was nothing to be left to refridgerate :toothy10: It should be simmered around 10 min. and I got it ready in 5 min. but faithful to the recipe simmered it longer :confused1: Then I added some more water and simmered it again for a while. There WAS more slime, but it was so STUCK with the seeds that it was impossible to separate them. Yes, I was stirring it constantly during simmering. And the seeds were imported from Canada, so they shouldn´t be different variety from in the recipe.

Have you guys got better results? I put a few drops of jojoba oil into the gel and it worked well. The gel had a good hold and curl definition but felt scrunchy when dry.
2A; CG friendly COs, adding time to time ACV, cocoanut oil, jojoba oil, glycerin, aloe vera juice or aloe vera gel; product-free

Comments

• dutch girldutch girl Posts: 150Registered Users
    yes i tried this recipe and had the same problem with the seeds. i tried wrapping some fabric around it or putting it in a pouch or little bag, that seems to work. i think you can use more water and more seeds. that way you wil have something to store ;) . i tried putting in some jojoba oil as well, that worked for me. you can also ad some aloe vera or honey.
    type 3b.
    modified CG.
    CON red, inecto-co, invisigel.
  • darkBlondiedarkBlondie Posts: 84Registered Users
    Dutch girl, wrapping some fabric may help to success better. I´ll try to make the gel soon again and post here the results.
    2A; CG friendly COs, adding time to time ACV, cocoanut oil, jojoba oil, glycerin, aloe vera juice or aloe vera gel; product-free
  • shellynotshellynot Posts: 1,140Registered Users
    i've found that putting the whole blob of gel + seeds into panty hose (after it has cooled for a while) and forcing the gel out helps.
    2c/3a
    curl blog
    curl album

"Your head is like a crown on you.
    It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
    Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
    I am captured by your flowing curls."
    Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I didnt 'cook' until it was gel - I forget which recipe I used but it was still a bit liquidy when I stopped - then I strained out the seeds and let the liquid sit and it got thicker on it's own.

It looks like a lot of threads poofed off the recipe one when the new board came up and I know there was a recipe in there that talked about boiling it less and letting it sit.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • darkBlondiedarkBlondie Posts: 84Registered Users
    Thanks, Shellynot and xcptnl :) Both advices sound reasonable! I also read later about someone making the gel by adding the seeds to boiled water, so not boiling the seeds at all. I haven´t tried that, but I surely am going to try about your advices.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file