Anyone ever try beer as a spray-in curl definer?

Sounds nutty, I know, but I use it fairly frequently, and it works great. I use an all-natural beer, like Budweiser, 'cuz light beers have lots of artificial preservatives. The smell goes away after the beer dries, really! You won't smell like a bad blind date! It defines my curl, plus it seems to moisturize somewhat - works great on cold, dry winter days. Just pour some in a spray bottle and spritz away, on clean wet hair. Sometimes I add a tsp. of honey dissolved in a little hot water. If I'm doing the beer thing on a particular day, I don't uses any other defining products, just some leave-in condish before the beer. Keep the beer in the fridge between uses - nothing worse than skunky beer on your noggin!:)
Waist length spirals - 3a/b
Fave co-wash: Suave Coconut
Fave shampoo: Batia & Aleeza, Chagrin Valley shampoo bars (once every 2 weeks)
Fave conditioner: Back to Basics green tea
DT: Curl Junkie banana/hibiscus
Styling: BotticelliBabe's gelee, brulee and butter - all natural and AWESOME!!!

Comments

• agent_003bdagent_003bd Posts: 142Registered Users
    Interesting... but this begs the question: How did you come up with this? :tongue3:
    2/3a mix

Shampoo-free since 09/04
  • mdwileygrlmdwileygrl Posts: 89Registered Users
    Hoo hoo! I do like beer, to drink, I mean, but I actually read this in a magazine some years ago, and I thought they were clinically insane. As I grew older, though, my hair got curlier and curlier and, since this was before the cavalcade of curl products, about 7-8 years ago, I became desperate to find something good for curls. So...here we are! And, what the hell, if you're having a really horrible curl day...just drink the beer! Or several! This really, truly works, though.

• DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Posts: 2,729Registered Users
    The beer trick has been around for years!! It works as a great 'setting lotion'. :) My mom used to do this when she was young! She'd use beer when she'd do big roller sets. :) I've never done it though...
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.
  • GuyanaGal718GuyanaGal718 Posts: 207Registered Users
    I'm underage...so unfortunatley I won't be trying this.
    A 3b/3c/ curlicious combo with a sprinkle of 4a.
    The Big Chop August. 2006 :nike:
    Natural Diva since 2005.
    Tracklete Star!
  • Mamacurl3Mamacurl3 Posts: 1,559Registered Users
    I just might have to give this a try! I'll try it tonight after I wash my hair, I like the added honey too. Thanks for the tip. Do I put anything over top of it? Or a leave in conditioner underneath it?
    Type: 3a/3b, fine-medium
    Cleanse: hg:whispering windz farm jar soaps,
    Moisture/Co rinse: GVP conditioning balm
    DT: Jessicurl's dt
    Leave in: KCKT
    Definition: kccc
    Hold: rotating: gvp liquid scuplting gel
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    http://s722.photobucket.com/albums/ww223/mamacurl7/
    "My father says almost the whole world's asleep...He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant, total amazement."
    Traveling? http://katiebutton.rovia.com/
    Yeah, I always do a leave-in condish - Neutrogena has a really good one - then the beer spray. Depending on my hair's temperament that day, I sometimes do a light coating of gel under the beer. I've had great luck with this, but I don't think it works as well on very fine hair - my hair is really thick, tending to coarse, and I have tons of it, but one of my curly friends who has long curly but fine hair says it does nothing for her. Dunno, but I love it. Hope it works for you!:)

BTW, I never used to use ANY gel with this till a few weeks ago. Just a skosh of gel does seem to help, though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file