Anyone make their own facial products?

MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I've been trying to take a more natural approach to my skincare and have been doing some research and reading about homemade beauty products. I have a book Natural Beauty for All Seasons that has a lot of really neat recipes. Right now I'm using a homemade toner that consists of very diluted ACV and a few drops of tea tree oil and it seems to be working well.
I was wondering if anyone out there (esp. with breakout prone skin) makes their own facial cleansers, toners, moisturizers, etc. if you could share your recipes.

Thanks!
3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"

Comments

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I would love to try that toner out - would you mind giving out the quantities?
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I make my own moisturizer using organic ingredients.
    I melt 1 part cocoa butter, 1 part shea butter, and 1/2 part jojoba oil together and pour it into containers.
    It solidifies and I use a little wooden paddle to take it out, melt it in my hands, and apply to face and neck (also great for hands, feet, entire body).
    Doesn't clog my pores, doesn't break me out, is very moisturizing, and smells delicious.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • finallylikemyhairfinallylikemyhair Posts: 219Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I am interested in making your moisturizer. What type of skin do you have? Mine is dry and parts are semi oily. I want to know if it would work for me. I'm tired of spending so much money on moisturizers that work OK. when I can make something natural and be happy without the chemicals. Please let me know.
    Thanks
    3A hair.
    Use suave naturals to wash hair daily.
    Carol's Daughters Tui leave in conditioner
    protein treatment once a month
    got2be gel
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Xcptnl, sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I haven't been on most of the week.
    For the toner, what I do is boil some water, let it cool and then I use an old plastic bottle that I have for making salad dressing that has measurements on it, I pour in 1oz ACV and then fill it up with the cooled water (about 9 oz). I then add about 10 drops of tea tree oil. Tea tree oil can be pretty strong so you can adjust the amount and use less. I kind of like the tingle I get from it.
    I just use it after washing my face and rub it on with a cotton ball. The tea tree oil kind of floats to the top when it's been sitting around for a while so make sure to shake it before you use it.

Jeepcurlygurl, that moisturizer sounds really nice. So the cocoa and shea butters don't break you out? I have very breakout prone skin.
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

• CurlyChrisInTheSticksCurlyChrisInTheSticks Posts: 40Registered Users
    I stumbled on a method that works for me. FYI I'm 40 with no obvious wrinkles, yet :wink:.

At night I've been using the oil cleansing method. I mixed 1 part castor oil with 3 parts of a non-comedogenic oil (jojoba) and then massage a small amount all over my face. Remove with a warm cloth. The oil dissolves what's in clogged pores (like peanut butter dissolves a sticker) and the castor oil helps it "move around." Depending on skin type, you may not need to moisturize afterwards.

I then moisturize with straight apricot kernal oil at night.

In the morning, I use a liquid soap I made using jojoba oil. You could also use a castile. I've been making soap for years, but you can pick up the liquid castile in a health food store. I then moisturize only if needed with the light moisturizer from Bath and Body works. It's made of recognizable ingredients.

HTH
    CurlyChrisInTheSticks
    Shoulder Length Brunette
    3a/3b
    I was reading about that oil method on a thread here and was curious about it. I'm a little afraid to try it though because I have oily skin, even though some of the people who do it do have oily/breakout prone skin. I would love to do it though since it seems that everything I use to wash with leaves my face feeling tight afterwards, even though I am oily.
    What's the difference between castile soap and regular soap? I thought I had read on here that castile soap was harsh. :dontknow:

Experimenting with BRHG

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks Magoo - I figured you had just missed it!! I have a tea tree blemish stick so I know it can be a bit harsh. I am going to try this!
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    I've been using this toner for a couple of weeks now and my skin is clearer and looks so much smoother. I'm thinking it's the toner that's doing it.

Experimenting with BRHG

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I have pretty mixed up skin. Sometimes dry, sometimes oily, wrinkles and other skin damage. I've never had bad acne but I used to get alot of cysts and blackheads.
    I've used the oils for cleansing (castor and jojoba oil), my own homemade soaps, and my own moisturizer for a year or so. I very rarely get cysts anymore and altho my pores are still big they are now clean and clear and without blackheads.
    I still like to try other products especially when they have simple more natural ingredients (Juice Organics, Dermalogica, Yves Rocher) but most of the time I just stick to my own very inexpensive home made products.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • finallylikemyhairfinallylikemyhair Posts: 219Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I stumbled on a method that works for me. FYI I'm 40 with no obvious wrinkles, yet :wink:.

At night I've been using the oil cleansing method. I mixed 1 part castor oil with 3 parts of a non-comedogenic oil (jojoba) and then massage a small amount all over my face. Remove with a warm cloth. The oil dissolves what's in clogged pores (like peanut butter dissolves a sticker) and the castor oil helps it "move around." Depending on skin type, you may not need to moisturize afterwards.

I then moisturize with straight apricot kernal oil at night.

In the morning, I use a liquid soap I made using jojoba oil. You could also use a castile. I've been making soap for years, but you can pick up the liquid castile in a health food store. I then moisturize only if needed with the light moisturizer from Bath and Body works. It's made of recognizable ingredients.

HTH

What type of skin do you have? I purchased the ingredients to make the oil cleansing, but I wanted to make sure it won't make my skin break out. Also you use apricot kernal oil at night. Then how do you make the liquid soap using jojoba oil. I want to use natural healthy products for my face and not chemicals.
    Please let me know.
    Thanks
    3A hair.
    Use suave naturals to wash hair daily.
    Carol's Daughters Tui leave in conditioner
    protein treatment once a month
    got2be gel
  • curlquestcurlquest Posts: 90Registered Users
    ive heard orange blossom water works well as a toner. it smells pretty good and is cheap too
    Finallylikemyhair, so I worked up the nerve and have been doing the oil cleansing method for about a week now. I do have oily skin that has a tendency to breakout (about 3-4 pimples here and there) so I was terrified of the idea of rubbing oil on my face but so far I've had no problems. My skin looks a lot more even toned and is very soft. I've had about 3 pimples in the past week but it's not anymore than usual and some of them were really tiny and were gone quickly. I know you can have pimples that have been "brewing" under the skin for a few weeks that were due to come out anyway so as long as I don't get any increase in breakouts I'm giving this method a couple of weeks to see how it works.
    I've been using a mixture of about 1/4 castor oil, 1/4 olive oil and the rest jojoba oil with a few drops of tea tree oil mixed in. I've been reading about non-comedogenic oils and different properties of essential oils so once I'm done with this batch I might try cutting out the olive oil and using another oil in it's place or inc. the jojoba oil.
    If you do a search on NC.com there is a very long thread about this method.

Experimenting with BRHG

• susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,374Registered Users Curl Novice
    I've used the oil cleaning off and on for years...but I use olive oil. It's usually in the house so I dont' have to actually go find it and the 'slip' is fine with it.

I've also used coconut oil for moisturizer. I've used it pretty much all over and had no breakouts at all. I am thinking about tracking down some rose or orange water for a toner.
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

• mikievoramikievora Posts: 83Registered Users
    i just ordered argan, pomegranite and cranberry seed oils from FNWL and am going to mix them with some shea butter i have to make a face/body moisturizer.

i'd been using khiel's abbysine eye & face cream, but it started to have a kind of burning sensation when i applied it, so i started using some of the vanilla/coconut oil i'd ordered from anitagrant.co.uk on my face and body instead.

so far, so good. my skin feels better, my face looks better, and i have a bit of peace of mind that im not putting a bunch of chemicals into my body anymore. the FNWL order is part experimentation, and part an attempt to find a cheaper alternative to anita grant's super-expensive product.

FNWL has an extensive list of natural oils and lists their origins and speific benefits. AND their prices are not terrible compared to what you would pay for commercial products containing the same ingredients AND a bunch of chemical preservatives, etc.
    Frizz Central!
  • TwoMoonsTwoMoons Posts: 754Registered Users
    Mix one tablespoon of Yogurt and one tablespoon of Honey together and apply to your face. You pat the moisturizer to your face. It hydrates(sp?), soothes, and clears up skin problems.
    :coffee::bunny::cat::headbang:OTAKU 4 LIFE!!!!

"Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.”

I <3 Cats!
  • GoddessCurlsGoddessCurls Posts: 1,537Registered Users
    I make an exfoliate from olive oil and sugar. I have been trying the oil cleansing thing and surprisingly enough I haven't broken out or anything.

Back on Cones,so now my routine is,wash with Deva No-Poo every other day or so. Occasionally use 365 sulfate free,maybe use low sulfate shampoo mixed with conditioner once every two weeks are longer. I condition with Aussie Moist or HEHH. I style with a little GF TN,and finish up with tons of GN Pure Clean Smoothing Cream. No frizz...slippy, happy hair.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    TwoMoons wrote: »
    Mix one tablespoon of Yogurt and one tablespoon of Honey together and apply to your face. You pat the moisturizer to your face. It hydrates(sp?), soothes, and clears up skin problems.

Which types of skin problems is this recipe best for? Is it dry skin, acne, uneven pigmentation, etc.?

Magoo -- Thanks for starting this thread. I started the oil method with jojoba oil and tea tree oil which works really well for me. I then follow up with aloe vera gel and tea tree oil as a moisturizer. In the morning, I wash with water and use Philosophy's A pigment of your imagination. My skin no longer has red patches and/or acne and my skin has started to even out.

I also have started using Ayurveda recipes for Pitta imbalances that also work. I mix whipping (heavy) cream with five ground up almonds and lemon juice to get rid of discoloration. I've began using ground up sesame seeds mixed with turmeric as well. Thanks for the good advice guys!

http://yoga2ayurveda4healing.googlepages.com/ayurveda-skin-care-anti-aging
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file