I watch movies on Youtube. How guilty should I feel?

XyzXyz Posts: 685Registered Users
I've been thinking about this for a while and I want to know exactly what is okay to view on Youtube and what isn't.

Recently, I watched several Jane Austen movies and mini-series on YouTube and I didn't feel guilty about it. Some of them seem to be from BBC television and I don't know if BBC even has a problem with their mini-series' also playing on-line.

But the more and more I think about it, the more I wonder if I'm doing something morally wrong. I know it's not illegal to watch it. If it is bootlegged, the person who put it on YouTube has done something illegal. But then, isn't my watching it making me a part of it? I don't know.

And then, since I don't really know, should I just stay away from all YouTube videos that are just productions broken up into 10 minute segments? Because some stuff prod companies put on there, right? What do you guys do/watch on YouTube?

Comments

• gggg Posts: 1,865Registered Users
    Why would you feel guilty? I just don't get it. YouTube pulls videos if they violate any rules so if it's on there there's a reason. Watch whatever you watch on there it's all good. No one is going to confiscate your computer and haul you to jail. Of all the things in life to be concerned about, Youtube should not be one of them
    You don't have to blow out my flame to make yours burn brighter.

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself.

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.
  • XyzXyz Posts: 685Registered Users
    A lot of those movies are pulled after a few days.

Mostly, I'm concerned because I'm a big avocate for due compensation. I stand behind the writer's in the writer's strike. I hate how big business trys to swindle employees out of their well deserved money. I wonder if I am doing something similar by not paying for a lot of movies because I can just see them on YouTube. I don't want to be a hypocrite.

I know this is a conscience issue and no one can tell me what to do. I just wonder if other people watch full movies on YouTube or if they stay away from it. I remember someone posted a thread about how it is illegal to copy other people's full cds and that opened my eyes to something. Because I never even knew that was wrong, but I could see how it would make the musicians lose money.

I guess I'm just wondering how people watching movies on line is effecting the pockets of artist I like and geniunely try to support. And if it's worth it to even worry about it.
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    Xyz wrote:

Mostly, I'm concerned because I'm a big avocate for due compensation.

If that's true, then stop watching the movies on YouTube.

It wouldn't occur to me to watch a movie on YouTube. Seriously, what, it's too expensive to go to Blockbuster? Or to catch a matinee?
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • frazalifrazali Posts: 364Registered Users
    Some movies may stay on youtube because they're no longer copyrighted. I used to subscribe to a podcast that uploaded movies that were free and clear of copyright issues, such as Night of the Living Dead.
    Variation of 3B/3C curls.

Amazed that I finally found a method that works for my hair! Diffuse until 60-70% dry, then let air dry for about an hour. Scrunch and leave it alone!

NYC
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    frazali wrote:
    Some movies may stay on youtube because they're no longer copyrighted. I used to subscribe to a podcast that uploaded movies that were free and clear of copyright issues, such as Night of the Living Dead.

If that's the case, and you're watching non-copyrighted movies or tv shows or whatever, then there's no problem and no reason to feel bad at all.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • XyzXyz Posts: 685Registered Users
    Thank you frazali! I never knew that. I always thought it was weird that a lot of movies are just available on YouTube and I suspected that the production companies knew and didn't care. It's just hard to tell which ones and ok and which aren't.
    Seriously, what, it's too expensive to go to Blockbuster? Or to catch a matinee?
    There are no matinees where I live. But I don't think that's the point. I could definitely rent or go buy a theater ticket for a movie. This thread is about the alternatives and whether they are perfectly acceptable, illegal, or morally wrong.
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    gg wrote:
    YouTube pulls videos if they violate any rules so if it's on there there's a reason.

This is not true in practice. It only happens if someone reports the user who posted the movie, or if the studio/conglomerate responsible complains. Also, it's legal to watch movies on Youtube and other video-playing sites. It's only illegal to upload the movies.

OP, it sounds like BBC put those mini-series online, and want them there.
  • frazalifrazali Posts: 364Registered Users
    Here is a link to a site that has an index of movies that you can download. The site reads, "Since they are in the public domain (the copyright has expired), these movies can be played over the Internet and downloaded anywhere around the world."

http://emol.org/movies/faq/
    Variation of 3B/3C curls.

Amazed that I finally found a method that works for my hair! Diffuse until 60-70% dry, then let air dry for about an hour. Scrunch and leave it alone!

NYC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file