How would you feel about these two gifts?

Brain Age claims it helps to sharpen the mind. I want to get one for my dad who has dementia. Whether it helps after one is already diagnosed, I don't know. I also don't know if he'd see it as a reminder of his condition and be upset. Would you?

Also, my friend is having money problems. I want to get her something practical. Would a grocery store gift card seem like charity or be offensive at all?

I know you don't know these people but I'm looking for a range of opinions on this. Thanks.

Comments

  • cyndicyndi Posts: 3,341Registered Users
    Kimshi42 wrote:
    Brain Age claims it helps to sharpen the mind. I want to get one for my dad who has dementia. Whether it helps after one is already diagnosed, I don't know. I also don't know if he'd see it as a reminder of his condition and be upset. Would you?

    Also, my friend is having money problems. I want to get her something practical. Would a grocery store gift card seem like charity or be offensive at all?

    I know you don't know these people but I'm looking for a range of opinions on this. Thanks.

    Instead of a grocery card, maybe you could give her a target gift card, that way she could use it for groceries but not be embarrassed.
    I think that I deceive genius.:happy10:
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    for the friend who is having financial problems how about a target gift card (if you have supertargets in the area)? that way she can decide if she spends the money on groceries or herself..
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • cyndicyndi Posts: 3,341Registered Users
    goldy wrote:
    for the friend who is having financial problems how about a target gift card (if you have supertargets in the area)? that way she can decide if she spends the money on groceries or herself..

    lol...
    I think that I deceive genius.:happy10:
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    Brain Age is an OK game. I got bored with it though(Brain Age 2 is better). Instead you could get games that are supposed to help keep you sharp but don't scream brain training.

    I agree with Goldy about the gift card.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Great idea(s) on the gift card!
    Brain Age is an OK game. I got bored with it though(Brain Age 2 is better). Instead you could get games that are supposed to help keep you sharp but don't scream brain training.

    I agree with Goldy about the gift card.

    Like which games? Brain Age 2? It screams brain training less than version1?

    Thanks!
  • gggg Posts: 1,865Registered Users
    Does your father even like to play games? If he does that could be a good gift but if he wouldn't normally play any kind of games then it might not be the best idea.

    I don't see anything wrong with a grocery store gift card myself. I'd take it. Heck I'd take anything anybody gives me for that matter. But you know if your friend is a proud person or not.
    You don't have to blow out my flame to make yours burn brighter.

    When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself.

    How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    Kimshi42 wrote:
    Like which games? Brain Age 2? It screams brain training less than version1?

    Thanks!

    No it doesn't scream it less. I was just mentioning that it's better than the first, in case you still wish to go that route.

    Crossword puzzles, sudoku, puzzle games, etc. should work.
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    My MIL is getting us something practical this year and going for Walmart and Stop and Shop gift cards.
    We aren't having financial problems anymore, but I am thrilled. When we were having financial problems I received a S&S gift card through interoffice mail with no name on it. It touched me so much and was much needed.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    How about an American Express Gift checque? A grocery store card is a little pointed, whereas a gift cheque can be spent anywhere -- or deposited for later.

    Don't know about the brain game for your dad -- have you asked his doctor?
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

    Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • JessyCatJessyCat Posts: 91Registered Users
    I adore getting Wal-Mart or even Visa gift cards because as a poor college kid I'm always hard for money. :] I think it's a thoughtful gift that says "you can get whatever, whenever".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file