Marseille soap as a poo bar?

mysteryflavoredmysteryflavored Posts: 1,271Registered Users Curl Novice
The other day, after hearing about my recent obsession with hair care, my grandmother showed me some blocks of Marseille soaps she received as a gift. I did some research, and they're made by mixing sea water, olive or palm oil, and alkaline ash from sea plants and boiling it all for a while. That's all. It's supposed to be a very moisturizing soap, and my grandmother says she uses it on her hair as a sort of shampoo and it makes her hair very soft.

Has anyone heard of this stuff? She offered me a block (they're pretty huge -- 600g), and I think I'm going to accept. Here's the website:

http://www.marseillesoap.com/

You can search for Marseille soap on wikipedia and get lots of info on it, too.

Comments

• jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've always been very intrigued about that soap! It's supposed to be marvelous -- lots of people really swear by it and it's been around forever (without any change in formulation, from what I understand). It never occurred to me to use it on my hair, but it seems like it would be fine. I don't know, though, and I'm thinking maybe you should post this on the Going Shampoo-less forum. I'll bet they'd have answers for you there!
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • teshonteshon Posts: 1,127Registered Users
    Mystery, once you receive your bar, do report back with results. I would be interested in this. :cat: I love Kiehl's Castille Shampoo. I wonder if the bar would be similar to this.
    3c-4a; Protein Sensitive(forms of wheat, keratin, soy and anything "hydrolyzed"). My hair hates coconut oil and jojoba oil(sometimes).
    http://photobucket.com/teshon PW: crazycurls
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/teshonandfamily
  • mysteryflavoredmysteryflavored Posts: 1,271Registered Users Curl Novice
    Yeah, I think I'll go ahead and get one of her blocks. And if it sucks for my hair, at least I can use it for my skin... (:
  • botticellicurlygirlbotticellicurlygirl Posts: 168Registered Users
    This soap sounds great. I checked it out at this website below. Let us know if you like it. I see they have little Duck shaped soaps, and I'm thinking of buying some as gifts.

http://www.lcdpmarseille-usa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=philosophy&Store_Code=lcdp

And it says:

SINCE 1688, FRENCH SOAPMASTERS HAVE BEEN CREATING THIS EXTRAORDINARILY PURE AND ANTI-BACTERIAL SOAP. TRADITIONALLY, THERE ARE TWO DIFFERENT TYPES OF MARSEILLE SOAP. WITH VEGETABLE OILS OF COPRAH AND PALM WHICH IS LIGHT BEIGE IN COLOR. THE SECOND CONTAINS AND ADDITIONAL AMOUNT OF OLIVE OIL (40 TO 50%) GIVING THIS SOAP ITS NATURAL GREEN COLOR. COPRAH OIL IS DERIVED FROM THE COCONUT AND HAS THE FOLLOWING NATURAL PROPERTIES: MOISTURIZES SKIN, EMBELLISHES HAIR, AND CREATES A NATURAL MOUSSE EFFECT. PALM OIL IS EXTRACTED FROM THE ELAEIS GUINEENSIS, PALM TREE, AND BOASTS VIRTUES OF RESTRUCTURING AND PROTECTING THE SKIN. IT ALSO HAS AN EXCELLENT NATURAL DETERGENT EFFECT. OLIVE OIL IS RENOWNED FOR EXQUISITE NOURISHING QUALITIES.
    Fine, blonde 3a botticelli curls
    Bumping, so I can review this tomorrow. :D
    So... I had an interesting experience with this.

My grandmother gave me a 400g block of the palm oil soap -- beige in color. Doesn't really smell like anything, but it feels nice when dry (not slick/polished like commercial soaps, but kind of softer). The block is kind of unwieldy, but it has some of its sides stamped with a seal so they provide a good hold. I wasn't really sure what to do with it in the shower, so I sort of rubbed it all over my head and then started massaging with my fingers. From the lather that I got, I knew I had used too much. However, the lather was creamy and actually felt pretty oily, but while the soap was in my hair it made it feel incredibly slick and wonderful.

Thennn I washed it out, and was horrified. My hair became so squeaky it was almost sticky. I couldn't tell if it was a build-up feeling or a stripped feeling. I washed it all out thoroughly and slathered my hair with TIGIMM, let sit for a while, washed it out and finished my shower, and styled as usual.

Now that my hair is dry, the experience isn't as bad as I thought it'd be. My roots feel clean but not shampoo-clean; other than that, I've got a nice shape to my hair and good shrinkage (which I aim for now that I'm trying to subtly grow my hair out). I think the weird feeling in the shower was just a result of using waaay too much soap, because my hair seems to have a healthy amount of natural oils in it now. Next time (as in, maybe in 4-5 days), I'll try just rubbing my hands on the block and moving them straight to my scalp, instead of putting the soap directly on my head.

For something that only contains 3-4 all-natural ingredients and nothing else, it sure did pull a number on me this morning. (:
  • The ScientistThe Scientist Posts: 239Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Maybe you could try cutting off a smaller bit of the soap so it's easier to wield in the shower. I have to do that with my Lush soaps-- I buy them in bulk and cut them down into smaller pieces for use in the shower.
    2c/3a modified CG
    HG product: AG Recoil... Searching for others...
    HG method: pixiecurl method of drying. I'll never go back!
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Can this shampoo bar be bought locally?

I'm looking for one for hubby since he'll even use regular bar soap on his short hair. UGH, the film that leaves behind is horrible!
    I would cut it up, but this soap seems like it would crumble if I took a knife to it. I don't know, though. It isn't so bad to wield, especially if I'm going to try using it differently next time.

And I don't think it can be bought locally. But to be honest, I'm completely clueless. (: It's like, $8 for a 400g block online, which isn't so bad considering how much commercial "fancy" soap costs now.
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Well, it's coming down to the line & I need to find stocking stuffers. So I think I need to find something locally.
  • Keira25Keira25 Posts: 16Registered Users
    So... I had an interesting experience with this.

My grandmother gave me a 400g block of the palm oil soap -- beige in color. Doesn't really smell like anything, but it feels nice when dry (not slick/polished like commercial soaps, but kind of softer). The block is kind of unwieldy, but it has some of its sides stamped with a seal so they provide a good hold. I wasn't really sure what to do with it in the shower, so I sort of rubbed it all over my head and then started massaging with my fingers. From the lather that I got, I knew I had used too much. However, the lather was creamy and actually felt pretty oily, but while the soap was in my hair it made it feel incredibly slick and wonderful.

Thennn I washed it out, and was horrified. My hair became so squeaky it was almost sticky. I couldn't tell if it was a build-up feeling or a stripped feeling. I washed it all out thoroughly and slathered my hair with TIGIMM, let sit for a while, washed it out and finished my shower, and styled as usual.

Now that my hair is dry, the experience isn't as bad as I thought it'd be. My roots feel clean but not shampoo-clean; other than that, I've got a nice shape to my hair and good shrinkage (which I aim for now that I'm trying to subtly grow my hair out). I think the weird feeling in the shower was just a result of using waaay too much soap, because my hair seems to have a healthy amount of natural oils in it now. Next time (as in, maybe in 4-5 days), I'll try just rubbing my hands on the block and moving them straight to my scalp, instead of putting the soap directly on my head.

For something that only contains 3-4 all-natural ingredients and nothing else, it sure did pull a number on me this morning. (:

Hey!
    Yeah Marseilles soap is very for the skin and depending of your type of hair it can be great!
    As you experienced you put too much soap. What you can do next time as your soap bar is big ...well ... make it foam in your hands and then put in your hair...so you can control the amount of soap you put in there! :wink:
    Anyway for the type of hair you have, you always have to condition well (or deep condition) after because it tends to dry the hair a little.
    Personally I use it ocasionally, when I have no more shampoo or when I'm going on wek ends and that I forgot or I can't take my shampoo with me for instance.
    There's different types of marseilles soap...there's little soap bars too with different flavours ...
    here's a link http://savons-de-provence.com/html/welcome.html
    Enjoy! :toothy7:
    DON'T EVER BE AFRAID TO BE WHO U REALLY ARE INSIDE!!!

:blob7:Loving my 4a 4b head...:blob7:
  • bunniee23bunniee23 Posts: 228Registered Users
    I use shampoo bars, and my hair only feels weird if I don't use a vinegar rinse. I have to condition after the vinegar rinse also, my hair gets too tangly & dry without it.

This article may help if you want to try using the soap to wash your hair again:

http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/haircarehelp.htm
    Type 2b. Wash: WEN pomegranate or fig. Leave-in conditioner: Alaffia beautiful curls for wavy hair, Spiral Solutions Protein spray. Style: Curls In A Bottle, Ecostyler, or KCCC.
    I was really curious so I used this again today. I only rubbed some soap onto my hands, lathered, THEN massaged my scalp, and I think it turned out much better. I really like the way my roots feel today; they aren't lying against my head, and they've got some nice clean body to them. I'll definitely use this stuff every once in a while when I need some extra cleansing. (:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file