At home glaze mentioned on Oprah

PriscillaPriscilla Posts: 278Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Has anyone tried the John Frieda (or any other) at home glaze. I am sure there are previous posts on this, but I am being lazy.

Does it work well on curly hair, which is normally hard to get to shine due to its shape and lack of moisture?

(I thought the guy on oprah said the glaze can let you delay coloring a bit. I can't imagine the sudden glaze would disguise my dark roots!)

Thanks.
Grace sets apart Christianity from all other religions.

No other religion offers God's love and redemption coming to us free of charge, as a gift, with no strings attached, no performance required, no standard to meet.

Only Christianity dares to make God's love unconditional.

(Whelchel)

Comments

• swirldropsswirldrops Posts: 152Registered Users
    You know, I have a box of this very stuff sitting in my drawer. My Mom bought it for me (hmmm... think that was a hint?). I haven't tried it yet for fear of it coating or drying out my hair. And it took me so long to break my FrizzEase habit I guess I'm cautious about using Frieda products... Anyone out there tried it?
    Type: Course & thick. According to everyone's input, 2c w/ 3a potential.
    Color: Brown w/ highlights & annoying grays which I color.
    Length: Past shoulders w/ layers.
    Issues: Dryness, knots & more dryness!
    Poo: Deva Lo-Poo 1 x week, Clarify 1-2 x month
    CO Wash: Suave Tropical Coconut (but looking for something else b/c I suspect protein issues)
    Condish: GVPCB, LVPNG
    Leave-Ins: Was loving KBB Milk & Nectar, but overused them. Usually just leave-in some of what I CO with.
    Styling: Biolage Gelee
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I was wondering about this stuff yesterday when I saw an ad for/description of it.

John Frieda CLEAR Shine

I don't know what it contains (ingredients) though. :?
  • alisons79alisons79 Posts: 680Registered Users
    I think I tried this stuff when if first came out (early to middle 2006) and it was right before I went CG. I don't think it did that much for me or I might have thought twice about getting rid of it. I remember going through all the stuff in my shower and checking the ingredients and throwing out things that had 'cones or harsh cleansers. So even though I don't have it in front of me, there was obviously something in it that I didn't want in my hair anymore.

I have to admit that I tried several of the John Frieda products and none actually did anything long lasting for me as far as making my hair better. CG method however....

I love Jessicurl! Just has to thrown that in there! :)
    3A/3B
    I love Jessicurl HCC, Jessicurl Too Shea, KCKT, KCCC, CK and HESMU...but it took a LOT of trial error to get to these products that consistently work for ME.
  • earcmraearcmra Posts: 146Registered Users
    I used this about a year ago when I was straightening my hair, so I don't know how it would work with curls.

I did notice quite a bit more shine to my hair with it. I was happy overall. I stopped using it though because it has an OVERWHELMING smell! It would honestly give me headaches after I used it because the smell was so strong, and I've never had that problem before. It isn't just when you are in the shower either, it stays all day long. The smell isn't necessarily bad it is just very strong.
    It's not a chemical smell, like a skunky perm? I can so not handle that stench!
  • PriscillaPriscilla Posts: 278Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the heads-up on the strong smell. I get bad headaches and am very sensitive. I guess I won't be trying that glaze. Wonder if they all smell a bit harsh as they probably have some chemical content similar to hair color?
    Grace sets apart Christianity from all other religions.

No other religion offers God's love and redemption coming to us free of charge, as a gift, with no strings attached, no performance required, no standard to meet.

Only Christianity dares to make God's love unconditional.

(Whelchel)
  • dutch girldutch girl Posts: 150Registered Users
    i tried it on my curls, made my hair very dry. it's really messy cause you have to wash it out in the shower, i believe you have to put it in dripping wet hair so the colour will also drip onto the flour. didn't like it at all. if you do colour your hair like i do, you'd better just colour it and leave this stuff in the store.

btw i'm not a john frieda lover so my opinion can be a little 'coloured' ;)
    type 3b.
    modified CG.
    CON red, inecto-co, invisigel.
  • JLRcurlyJLRcurly Posts: 245Registered Users
    I didn't like it, stained my tub and hands faster than I could rinse them both and it smelled bad and dried my hair out.
    JEN :hello2:3b, currently bored with my hair.
  • heavengirl410heavengirl410 Posts: 821Registered Users
    Full of cones, messy, stinky, not worth it!!
  • earcmraearcmra Posts: 146Registered Users
    I would stay away from it with curls. If you do decide to use it, wash your hands with shampoo right after applying it or you'll have stained hands. I didn't have any trouble with it staining my tub though.

lazy loops: It's not quite the same smell as a perm, but if you don't like the smell of a perm I'm quite certain that you will hate this.
    earcmra wrote:
    I would stay away from it with curls. If you do decide to use it, wash your hands with shampoo right after applying it or you'll have stained hands. I didn't have any trouble with it staining my tub though.

lazy loops: It's not quite the same smell as a perm, but if you don't like the smell of a perm I'm quite certain that you will hate this.

Gotcha! It's not on my list of things to buy! :wink:
    The one I looked at (clear) has dimethiconol, or maybe it's a dimethicone, I forgot to take note of the ingredients or take a picture with my cell phone, a drying alcohol, that I forgot the name of, & cyclopentasiloxane for starters.

The clear product isn't on drugstore.com or walgreens, but I think all the other colors are. You'll find the ingredients for those on Walgreens. Drugstore.com didn't have the ingreds.
  • shimmeringshimmering Posts: 19Registered Users
    I used the light brown for a while to blend my highlights in with my growing out natural color. It worked and people noticed the difference in a good way. But it left my hair weighed down, definitely less curly, and I don't like the smell. It was helpful for growing my natural color out, but I don't think I'll use it again.
    2C-ish, just above shoulders, medium brown, still pooing and coning (Dove), looking for a cruelty-free shampoo and conditioner

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file