Data disaster in UK!

SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
Have you all read about the "data disaster" in the UK--exposure of electronically stored personal data for half the population?

Yee yee yee yeeikes!

I'm thinking the new terrorism will be electronic.
formerly Castella
(my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)

Comments

• Cabana BoyCabana Boy Posts: 400Registered Users
    Castella wrote:

I'm thinking the new terrorism will be electronic.

It is already here. Called spam.
    Fortune favors the bold.
  • PigletPiglet Posts: 1,451Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've read about it, but then I'm British. ;) Fortunately I'm not affected by it. Hopefully there won't be too much identity fraud as a result.
    Yes, my tail is naturally curly.
    No, it was NOT me who cried 'wee wee wee wee wee' all the way home.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for mentioning this story. it's not on Google or Yahoo. I found it on C-Net when I did a search.
    Cable also slammed the failure to use encryption technology to secure the data on the lost CDs and said most data being shipped around in government is not being encrypted

That's plain old incompetence that this info is not encrypted. The person responsible should take the hit.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    I found the story on msnbc.com but I used to post links to those and a few people didn't like it as a source for news, I think.

link to MSNBC story

It scares the beheehees out of me. Not just because of the identify theft potential but because so much is electronically driven. I worry about the security of other stuff, like weapons and nuclear information. Aren't spies always losing their laptops, too? I remember a story about that.
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    Very scary.

I'm going to bury my head now and not think about it.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file