Thinking about going shampoo-less...

DoodlesDoodles Registered Users Posts: 1,984
...again! I went shampoo-less when I first joined the site but eventually started shampooing with Elucence MBS. I've really been struggling with my hair since the dry air has moved in. I know I can't do anything about the weather except wait it out but do you think going back to strictly CG might help? I'm will to try just about anything to keep the scissors out of my hands since I know that'll just make things worse! I know Boots is CG. How about [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]re:coil[/buylink] and B&A gel? It's been so long since I've done this that I really need to catch up on my homework! Is Suave coconut co still good for CO washing? TIA!!
2A/2B, fine, normal porosity

Growing out a pixie as of November 2013 :elephant:

Shampoo: Elucence MBS & Renpure Originals Argan Oil
Conditioner: Elucence MBC & Renpure Originals Argan Oil
Leave-in: CJ BeautiCurls
Stylers: BA gel & AG Re:coil

Product Junkie that keeps falling off the wagon!:tongue3:

Comments

• mysteryflavoredmysteryflavored Registered Users Posts: 1,271 Curl Novice
    Doodles wrote:
    ...again! I went shampoo-less when I first joined the site but eventually started shampooing with Elucence MBS. I've really been struggling with my hair since the dry air has moved in. I know I can't do anything about the weather except wait it out but do you think going back to strictly CG might help? I'm will to try just about anything to keep the scissors out of my hands since I know that'll just make things worse! I know Boots is CG. How about [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]re:coil[/buylink] and B&A gel? It's been so long since I've done this that I really need to catch up on my homework! Is Suave coconut co still good for CO washing? TIA!!

[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]re:coil[/buylink] and B&A gel are both CG, but I could never use the B&A without some sort of low-poo because the protein would build up on me like crazy.

I use Suave coconut for co-washing and I love it. It makes my hair feel wonderful.

Good luck! (:
  • DoodlesDoodles Registered Users Posts: 1,984
    Doodles wrote:

[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]re:coil[/buylink] and B&A gel are both CG, but I could never use the B&A without some sort of low-poo because the protein would build up on me like crazy.

I use Suave coconut for co-washing and I love it. It makes my hair feel wonderful.

Good luck! (:

Thanks for the reply! What's my first step in starting this? I know I should clarify but with what? A strong sulfate? ACV? Baking powder (or is it soda?)? Ahhh so many things to consider!!

I think it depends on what's in your hair. I clarified with harsh sulfates after like two months of using cones, but when I went to the salon and they put a-cone and d-cone in my hair I just used a nonsulfate shampoo. I think if all of your products are CG, and the only non-CG aspect of your routine was shampoo, then you don't need to clarify?
    Okay, thanks! I can't wait to get this started again. I really hope it helps my hair. I do worry about what it'll be like in the summer though.

• darkBlondiedarkBlondie Registered Users Posts: 84
    Doodles wrote:
    I know I should clarify but with what? A strong sulfate? ACV? Baking powder (or is it soda?)?

Hi Doodles. I´m a newbie here and gone no ´poo for a while. I´ve read from another (no ´poo) forum that baking soda is used to wash the hair. I also wash my hair with it. Absolutely not baking powder, that is not hair care. It may cause damage, I don´t know which kind but don´t try it :blackeye:

In that forum ACV is used to clarify, give shine and while it contains acid like hair does, it eliminates the possible too alkali of baking soda solution. There a baking soda wash is usually recommended at highest once a week and an ACV rinse twice a month.

This is a little OT while it´s not answering directly to your question.
    2A; CG friendly COs, adding time to time ACV, cocoanut oil, jojoba oil, glycerin, aloe vera juice or aloe vera gel; product-free
    Okay, baking soda, check! :) Do you just add a little to your CO when you do a wash?

Thought of another quick question while I was reading the sticky at the top of the page....when it says to apply conditioner to the length after you do a CO wash, does that not include the scalp area? Know what I mean....?

Doodles wrote:
    Thought of another quick question while I was reading the sticky at the top of the page....when it says to apply conditioner to the length after you do a CO wash, does that not include the scalp area? Know what I mean....?

I'm not sure if it matters, or at least depends on your hair length. I apply my rinse-out to all of my hair, but it's really short so I don't really have a "length" to my hair.
    Doodles wrote:
    Okay, baking soda, check! :) Do you just add a little to your CO when you do a wash?

I don´t know how it works with curlies, but in another ´no poo forum it´s used just baking soda - water solution. Maybe it would be ok also with a CO? I have a scary picture in my mind if the baking soda reacts somehow not favorable with a CO. As I am no chemist, so I don´t know.
    2A; CG friendly COs, adding time to time ACV, cocoanut oil, jojoba oil, glycerin, aloe vera juice or aloe vera gel; product-free
    I just have to tell you that sometimes I feel tempted to cut my hair that short again whenever I look at your photos, mysterflavored. I know I've said this before, but you're hair is so gorgeous!!
    I just got a mental image darkBlondie of the CO reacting with the baking soda and turning the top of my hair into a fizzing, alka seltzer type of deal. :laughing9: I only asked because I've heard of adding brown sugar to conditioner for a scrub. What ratio do you use for the baking soda-water solution?

Doodles, maybe my mental image of the baking soda and CO mixture comes from the fact that baking soda is used as a booster (is it the right word?) in baking. I could see bubbles and mist coming when BS and CO are mixed together :goofy: BS is somewhere also used in cleaning the house with a motto: if nothing else helps, BS surely will.

I was a bit cautious to use such a strong purifier in my scalp and hair, but it has gone ok. I would say that better start with a lighter solution and see how it works. I feel that it cleans my scalp as effective as a usual shampoo. Using it at highest once a week is good, and the solution I use is 1 tablespoon in a cup of warm water. Some people use that amount in two separate washes, so you don´t have to use all in the same time. If the water is cold, BS would not dilute in it. In another no ´poo forum someone wrote that if you make the mixture and use the less of it later, the BS will crystallize on the bottom of the bottle. Someone recommended it to be put on the crown area, which is the part of the scalp that gets the most greasy. The solution is used only in the scalp to remove the grease and dirt. Be aware not to let it into your eyes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file