Glasses Frames?

shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
So, tomorrow, I am getting new glasses and I have no idea what kind of frames to get. I usually wear my contacts adn my current glasses are liek 5 prescriptions old and have no nose peice anymore and are really raggidy. Any ideas for frames? Do I need to post a picture of my face shape or whatever or do y'all remember? Also, I am blind as a bat and so my lenses are pretty thick and don't work in certain frames because of it-so keep that in mind! I can't wait to see what y'all find! TIA!!
A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey

Comments

• iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    I have thick frames too so I can't wear those glasses that don't have the frame all the way around the lens (which would be my top choice).

My advice is to just go to the store and start trying on all the different styles and shapes until you find what you like. They're your glasses so you should like how you look in them.

What color are your eyes?
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    For me, there are no other glasses but Silhouettes. They are rimless and nearly completely disappear on my face. And, because they are titanium they are lighter than any of the "featherweight" frames out there. My husband has them too. He used to wear cokebottle lenses, but with the Silhouettes, they are very thin. They're expensive, but they don't break, ever, so they'll last. I've had a pair for about 5 years that look brand new. I've had the lenses replaced twice as my prescription has changed, but the frames are just fine.

http://www.silhouette.com/main.aspx?jumpTo=&lang=en&region=3
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    Green. I am gettign them off base & hoping the frames come in big sizes because the Japanese are mostly very tiny and I'm sure my head is way bigger than theirs.

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Rectangular frames are cool right now. Of course, on me they look awful.
    It might look nice if you get a frame color that compliments your own eye color. Green, blue, purple, something like that.

Do you want a trendy look or something more classic/conservative?
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have thick frames too so I can't wear those glasses that don't have the frame all the way around the lens (which would be my top choice).

Yes, you can wear frameless with the Silhouettes. They use special lenses that are much thinner than you could believe.

Yes, you can wear frameless with the Silhouettes. They use special lenses that are much thinner than you could believe.

Thanks RCW. The people at Lens Crafters told me I couldn't but I guess they were wrong :) I will definitely check out these Silhouette frames/lenses next time I buy glasses!

Oh and I meant to write thick lenses in that post, not thick frames. Oops.
  • pinksugarpinksugar Posts: 2,346Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    SuZenGuide wrote:
    Rectangular frames are cool right now.

My glasses are similar to these. I get a lot of compliments when I wear them. I've been wearing my contacts a lot more since getting braces, but I love fun frames.

RX5069_6254254.jpg
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    DH used to have coke bottle lenses, but now he gets polycarbonates and they are thin and light. He usually gets rimless on the bottom.

I have glasses that I rarely wear for a slight astigmatism and slighter vision correction, mostly for watching movies and sometimes TV. I hate to wear them because the lens is so small, I like the big picture, not binocular vision. :( Last place talked me into them because I have a small head. My new eye doc suggested getting larger lenses and trying to use them more to avoid eye strain. Problem is, I can't see anything close with them on, ie the computer screen or dashboard, clearly.

Moral: choose a frame YOU like, don't be pressured into trends unless you love them! :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Don't let the lenses/frames get beyond the ends of your orbits so the lenses don't get too thick. And there's a thin lens option that I get, otherwise I'd be wearing coke bottles

ETA - I'm way nearsighted, presbyopic and astigmatic and I wear the Silhouettes (have had them for almost 5 years) and they are ultralight and ultra thin. I love them. Lenscrafters may not carry them
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    I think you just have to go try on frames.

I absolutely LOVE the kind of frames with no rim, or none on the bottom. And they look awful on me. There were several other kinds I loved which looked bad. I ended up getting frames in a pinkish/purple color, in a shape I would have thought was too pointy, but they are PERFECT for me. I had a great tech to help me who grabbed a bunch of different styles, saw what style was best, then grabbed the similar frames to see what color and shape would work best on my face. I think in the end that's how you have to pick- by looking how things compliment you, since we're each different.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Posts: 2,729Registered Users
    I have these:

Nine West Eyeglasses Nine West 67
    AUSTJET5.jpg

And a pair of rectangular frames in a mint blue/green combo...
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.
    DH - I love those frames! They're another example of ones I LOVE but look awful on my face shape. :(
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

• JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    pinksugar wrote:
    SuZenGuide wrote:
    Rectangular frames are cool right now.

My glasses are similar to these. I get a lot of compliments when I wear them. I've been wearing my contacts a lot more since getting braces, but I love fun frames.

RX5069_6254254.jpg

Mine are like that but a funky shape. They look really good on me but i dotn wear them often. Glasses just bother my face a lot.
  • DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Posts: 2,729Registered Users
    NetG wrote:
    DH - I love those frames! They're another example of ones I LOVE but look awful on my face shape. :(

:) Thanks! Ya know, sometimes I hate how they look on my face. Like they are too small/narrow for my round face.
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    iris427 wrote:

Thanks RCW. The people at Lens Crafters told me I couldn't but I guess they were wrong :) I will definitely check out these Silhouette frames/lenses next time I buy glasses!

Oh and I meant to write thick lenses in that post, not thick frames. Oops.
    Iris, it's not just you.

I have very thick lenses and I no matter how much money I throw at them to make them as thin as possible, I still cannot get rimless frames.

The lenses on my current glasses are the very thinnest possible for my prescription, and they still poke a little outside the frames they are in. I was told they could never be set in rimless frames, no way, no how.
    My prescription is like a -6.5 or -7. I'm really near-sighted.
    Yeah, me too. And I have the kind of astigmatism that doesn't allow me to wear soft contacts. Only about 2% of the population cannot wear them, and I'm part of it!
    wild~hair wrote:
    Yeah, me too. And I have the kind of astigmatism that doesn't allow me to wear soft contacts. Only about 2% of the population cannot wear them, and I'm part of it!

I have a very mild astigmatism I think but I'm still able to wear contacts. I usually only wear them to special occasions though because they dry my eyes out.
    Do you wear soft then? 'Cause I can wear contacts, but only gas permeable. And they definitely dry my eyes out, so much so that I rarely wear them.

Each time I go in for a check up I ask if soft are available for me, and each time they say, "Not yet." Someday ...
    wild~hair wrote:
    Do you wear soft then? 'Cause I can wear contacts, but only gas permeable. And they definitely dry my eyes out, so much so that I rarely wear them.

Each time I go in for a check up I ask if soft are available for me, and each time they say, "Not yet." Someday ...

Yes, I have soft lenses. I used to be able to wear them all day with no problems but now after just a couple of hours my eyes start to feel dry. Who knows?

ETA I hope you can get soft lenses someday!
    Thanks! What I really want is the laser surgery, but that's a whole 'nother thing!
  • LayaliLayali Posts: 561Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I actually have Baby Phat frames. Never in a million years did I think I would buy anything designed by BP, but their frames are really cute. They have a wide variety of shapes, styles, and colors at reasonable prices.
    naturally 3b/3c

Explanation by the tongue makes most things clear, but love unexplained is clearer. ~ Rumi
    wild~hair wrote:

I'm so sorry! They finally have soft disposables which work for me. I can't wear regular toric because my eyes create calcium deposits which hurt like crazy. I can't wear gas permeables because somehow they just can't be made to fit just right, and my eyes never seem to adapt. But last year for the first time they had soft disposables which could work w/ my astigmatism, and it's wonderful!
    -Speckla

• shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    I did gas permeable for years until I had to get new contacts while in Japan. The base does not have a glasses/ contacts place, so I had to go off base adn they do not have hard lenses. So, I had to get soft ones. I was terrified. I didn't want to touch my eyeball and couldn't get them out. My husband had to take my contacts out for me for like a month! Now I love them! Falling asleep in hard lenses vs. falling asleep in soft ones are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay different! I take terrible care of my contacts...

• EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think you just have to go in and try on a lot of frames. Make sure that they're the right size for your face and stick out far enough on the bridge of your nose.
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    And wear your contacts when you go to try on frames; otherwise you can't see what you look like! :lol:

My glasses are plastic frames, rectangular and bright red on the outside, and black on the inside. I love them and get tons of compliments when I wear them.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • pookypooky Posts: 135Registered Users
    wild~hair wrote:

I would love to know your prescription. A lot of docs say they can't fit you in contacts because they know it is going to take quite a bit of follow up to find the best fit. My hubby has the worst astigmatism I have seen in my 13 years of Opticianry and HE can wear contacts.

As far as frames, if you have a heavy rx, try the smaller plastic frames with a lightweight lens. Because the frame is thicker it helps hide the heavy edges. The completley rimless are nice but you may not be able to get them in a high RX. I have a heinous nearsighted rx and I love all my little plastic frames. This is my most current pair...Valentino.....they have some bling! WOOOO!
    http://eyeglasses.go-optic.com/enlarge.asp?id=6412&cat=DFRAMES
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    wild~hair wrote:

WH, I have a pretty bad astigmatism and I'm very nearsighted. I have been wearing soft toric contact lenses for about 13 years. I was most recently fit for a new brand since my old one is not offered at my new doctor. I tried 3 different brands that dried out my eyes like nothing else. Finally I got the toric Acuvue Oasys with Hydraclear and they are phenomenal. They are pricy (about $380/yr) , but worth it if you like to wear contacts.
    I was the first one to try them out at my doctor's office this summer. They came in the same day I took home a trial pair, so they may not be available everywhere.
    Maybe you should look into those. I can't recommend them enough.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I wear a toric in only one eye, and when I switched to Acuvue torics I was amazed at how much more comfortable they are. And I can see better too. I'm not sure if it's the Oasys one that Munchy mentioned, but it's great either way.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file