Need a good facial moisturizer!

SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
I'm at my wits' end.

I cleanse with Laventine Olive Forte (water-soluble oil cleanser) and nothing else. I've been using Trilogy rosehip oil, or a mix or that and hyaluranic acid for moisturizing. It's just not cutting it anymore.

I usually do retin-a 3x a week and I'm edging back to 2x a week.

I've been putting eucerin q10 cream and even neutrogena hand cream on lately, neither of which are great for breakout-prone skin but seem to calm some of the dryness and chapping.

The air where I work is arid. So I'm thinking of getting some kind of mist that I can spritz on during the day.

Any ideas? I've tried jojoba oil and other oils as well with mediocre results. Shea butter seems to make me break out, but it would probably be better than drugstore creams, right? I've also tried cerave which is a little too light.

I'm not willing to pay more than $20-30 an ounce. And yeah, I checked out the Egyptian Magic site--it freaked me right out!
formerly Castella
(my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Castella wrote:
    I'm at my wits' end.

I cleanse with Laventine Olive Forte (water-soluble oil cleanser) and nothing else. I've been using Trilogy rosehip oil, or a mix or that and hyaluranic acid for moisturizing. It's just not cutting it anymore.

I usually do retin-a 3x a week and I'm edging back to 2x a week.

I've been putting eucerin q10 cream and even neutrogena hand cream on lately, neither of which are great for breakout-prone skin but seem to calm some of the dryness and chapping.

The air where I work is arid. So I'm thinking of getting some kind of mist that I can spritz on during the day.

Any ideas? I've tried jojoba oil and other oils as well with mediocre results. Shea butter seems to make me break out, but it would probably be better than drugstore creams, right? I've also tried cerave which is a little too light.

I'm not willing to pay more than $20-30 an ounce. And yeah, I checked out the Egyptian Magic site--it freaked me right out!

If you're already using an oil cleanser and oils for moisturizing, I don't think anything else is going to be better. Sounds like you need to back off on the Retin-A. Perhaps you should switch to Renova instead of Retin-A (Renova is the same tretinoin product made by the same pharmaceutical manufacturer, just super-fatted for dry-skinned folks).

Just curious...why would the Eqyptian Magic product freak you out? Because it's got natural bee products in it?
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    =====
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    I'm going to try applying the oil more frequently. I was doing it just at night, going to start am & pm. Also, I can't get the trilogy anymore so I'm switching to Laventine for dry skin since I really like their cleansing oil. The Laventine site says to apply a little oil before putting on sunscreen, which I haven't been doing and this might help. It also says to warm it by rubbing it on your palms before applying, which again I haven't been doing and am now trying.

Windflower, I know about the emu oil. I have a mental issue about emu oil where I equate it with chicken fat. I did try some Wisconsin emu oil and it didn't do anything for me. I did see that CurlChemist's article this month on lanolin says that animal fats might be better for skin than non-animal fats. But I'm supposed to avoid lanolin because of eczema.

The Egyptian Magic site--I went to the "about" tab and that's what freaked me. It just screamed SCAM! :laughing9: It sounds like people who've used it really like it so I might see if I can find it at Whole Foods.

Here's a ?. I've been putting that monistat antichaf silicone on my face before sunscreen, to help protect my skin from cold and wind. Good idea? or bad? Or who knows, but it can't hurt?
    formerly Castella
    =====
  • cara4curlscara4curls Posts: 336Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    "here is my totally made up theory:
    i used to live in a cold cold winter environment (still do). but when i went walking in 15 below temps, i noticed a difference in my skin if i used a oil moist. vs a water/aloe based moist. it seemed to me that the water based seemed to freeze on my face (i know...probably not true...but) and my face was a lot redder and windblown when i returned home.

after using coconut oil or other oil moist that didn't contain water or aloe, my face wasn't as sore/raw and the redness wasn't as bad.

and yes, i did wrap my face with a scarf both times.

now i stick with oil moist. and my skin looks great. i am glad that i have rediscovered emu oil for use just on my face." - Windflower

Yes, it's a fact that using water-based moisturizers on the face in very cold weather is not the best idea - you found out why - they freeze, and you end up with raw, wind-irritated skin! Also, the water evaporates and leaves your skin even DRIER than before in this situation. This is why it is a good idea to shift one's skincare during the winter to heavier richer creams, barrier formulas that protect the skin. This type of product is stickier and heavier than one is accustomed to especially if one has been in the habit of using "cosmetically-elegant" light lotions or creams that might "feel nice" going on, but in an hour or so, one's skin isn't any more moisturized than before. But a good barrier formula, like something with a high percentage of shea butter, or a good natural oil(you found out about both emu and coconut oils)even plain old vaseline(for those who can take that heavy of a product), Aquaphor, or original Eucerin Cream are candidates. Just a thin layer of one of these will do ya, and if you're combo-skinned, just on your drier areas. A barrier-type of product works by sealing in what moisture you have in your skin, and helps protect against cold and wind(not the sun, though!).
    health-conscious, visionary artist in transition
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think I may already hear the collective gasp, but....here's a thought: I've been having intermittent problems with dry skin as well. I'm normally an oily girl, but the cold, dry air, and the Retin-A do funny things to my skin. So when I'm feeling especially parched, I mix a "smidge" of vaseline, and I do mean a "smidge," with my regular moisturizer, Clinique's Moisture Surge, and a drop or two of jojoba oil (the moisturizer and jojoba help to spread the vaseline). I mean to tell you, it feels like a party on my face. :drunken: Complete calmness and comfort, and if you're careful to not use too much, there's no "yuck" factor. Try it, you might like it, plus it's cheap!
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • g-stringrannyg-stringranny Posts: 2,701Registered Users
    This week I added pure glycerin to my castile cleanser & then when I moisturize I am using 3 drops hyaluronic acid & 3 drops pure glycerin. My skin feels so much better. I had been feeling dry using the actives & the Retin-A 1%. I use this moisturizing combination in the morning & at night. I can't emphasis how much better my skin feels.
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
    =====
  • g-stringrannyg-stringranny Posts: 2,701Registered Users
    Windflower wrote:
    do you all use cleanser in the morning?

i don't. i just lightly rub a warm wet washcloth over my face.

could cleansing twice a day be contributing to the dryness?

I only cleanse at night. I do the same as you in the mornings. I read years ago that morning cleansing wasn't necessary unless you had very oily skin. I haven't cleansed in the mornings for many years.
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Castella -- I bought the Egyptian Magic at Whole Foods a couple days ago. And I'm loving it! :love1: It's really great for moisturizing! It's a real hard wax that "melts" as you pat it on. I have acne-prone skin and (so far anyway) it hasn't caused any problems. It might be worth a try if everything else you're trying isn't working.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    2poodles, the EM is on my Whole Foods list. I wanted to race over there this weekend but then this weather thing happened.

I pretty much always use oil-based products during the winter on my face. I've used vaseline before too. I'm not sure that I have any on hand right now.

I'll back off the retin-A. Which is a struggle. This whole peri-meno thing is chewing me up! My PMS symptoms have worsened and tripled, my skin has multiple personalities, arg. The retin-a is the ONE thing I have that helps with ONE problem, LOL.

I still haven't figured out what to do during the day, at work. The humidity levels are really low there. So I have this spray for the dogs which is basically water, colloidal oat, glycerin and some botanicals. It says it will moisturize and sooth, and add luster to my coat!
    formerly Castella
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Castella -- I forgot to mention a wonderful facial mist that I use when feeling particularly dry or irritated. It's La Roche-Posay Eur thermale - Thermal Spring Water. I ordered it online at http://www.skinstore.com/index.aspx

It's very refreshing and soothing. HTHs!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Castella wrote:
    So I have this spray for the dogs which is basically water, colloidal oat, glycerin and some botanicals. It says it will moisturize and sooth, and add luster to my coat!
    Hey, I think you're on to something - who couldn't use a little luster in their coat!! Maybe you could market it for us over 40 gals and be the next "millionaire next door"!! :wink:
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • hollyhomemakerhollyhomemaker Posts: 7Registered Users
    The very best moisturizer on the planet in my opinion is Victoria Principal's Advanced Continuous Moisture. I've been using it for years because I tend to have very dry skin and I had never before found a product that moisturizes my skin the way that I need it, which is ALL DAY long, without causing break outs, until I found the amazing and wonderful Advanced Continuous Moisture. It's important to note that it does have an spf of 8, but it's not broad spectrum. I use my sunscreen first and then put the moisturizer on afterwards or sometimes I just use it at night and when I wake up my skin is so soft I don't need to put any moisturizer on so I'll just put my sunscreen on. The moisturizing lasts all day and your face feels dewy soft and feels gorgeous and soft and never shiny. I love it!

It has a light scent that smells so delicious. I put it on at night on my neck and declotage area and my husband goes insane. lol No perfume or cologne or body spray affects him the way this stuff does. I would use this whether my husband liked it or not because the moisturizing is unreal, but having my husband love the scent is an added bonus.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file