Satin or Silk?

I'm thinking of buying satin or silk pillowcases. Is it worth it to invest in the silk ones, or are the satin ones still good?

Comments

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Satin is made from silk...or polyester or nylon or rayon. It's not an either/or. You just need the fabric to be a type of satin. It can be any kind of satin you like. Silk satin is more luxurious than others. Satin refers to the way the fabric is woven. Silk/poly/nylon/rayon refers to the raw materials the fabric is made from.

(My satin pillowcases are all polyester and work well. It's a personal decision.)

• 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't have the pure silk ones. I have poly satin. Works for me! The right pillowcase really does help with the quest for 2nd and 3rd day hair.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    I have one of each. I got one from www.feelingpampered.com. I got another from Sally Beauty Supply.

I think my hair on the satin one is noisier, which drives me crazy sometimes when trying to sleep.

The silk needs cold water, delicate wash with a bag or hand wash, & air dry.

The satin one needs cold water too, but I use a regular wash & a bag.

I think the satin one can go in the dryer. :dontknow:
  • starinastarina Posts: 665Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Poly satin works perfect for me and it can be washed in the washer and thrown in the dryer. You can find them at the dollar stores cheap! You really just need something that has a very smooth finish to it.
    I have 3A hair. I've discovered Jessicurl shampoo and Too Shea conditioner and I'm thrilled! Long-time LA Looks sport gel user.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I sleep on a silk charmeuse. I had a polyester satin and it wasn't right for me.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Satin is a synthetic fibre, so it can make you sweat. I used the satin at first, but found that it made me sweat ...

Silk ones can be very costly, but silk charmeuse isn't too bad. The silk charmeuse pillow cases that I have are 60% cotton and 40% cotton. I really like them. They are great for your hair and skin and are a natural fibre, rather than the synthetic.

If you want to stay away from synthetic fibres, don't just depend on "charmeuse". I made that mistake. I read the package quickly and didn't realize that what I was buying was satin. It was a nicer finished satin, but satin nonetheless.

I like to stay to the natural fibres when I can, but if the satin doesn't bother you ... it is cheaper!.

HTH
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
  • rheostaticsfanrheostaticsfan Posts: 79Registered Users
    I have both. I don't like the poly satin one...it causes hair static for me. The silk one I DO like.
    2a(?)/F/ii (Fia).
    New to having waves. Don't care if it's curly or not but this surface frizz drives me NUTS.
    Baby Fine. On the thin side of average. Low porosity.
    Atopic dermatitis/eczema. Too many allergies and sensitivities to count.
  • LovemylocksLovemylocks Posts: 766Registered Users
    Right now I am sleeping on a nylon pillow case. It is working well for me and no sweating.
    3C s-curls, coils, and corkscrews

TIGI MM, QB AOHC, KCCC, MJ CM, MJ BBC, JC WDT, CD HM, CD MHH, DC OneC, Veg Glyc, and Jojoba oil.

http://members.fotki.com/gypsycurls/

http://www.ratedpink.com

prheart.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file