CurlTalk

Egyptian Magic, anyone? Opinions?

Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users
I saw this mentioned on another health and beauty forum, and some folks raved about it. It's supposed to be healing, anti-aging, anti-acne...but not sure how it really would work with acne/oily skin especially while using retin-a, and it's $$$ to me ($34+shipping). The media seems gaga over it, but I never heard of it before.
The feel of my skin has improved in general with the retin-a, but I do get a dry, tight feeling sometimes, and peeling (but little irritation except on the blemishes? And those spots are staying red forever...) I alternate with a seakelp bioferment serum, or straight up bioferment, jojoba oil and an active cream I put together for moisturizing after the retin-a is applied, but would love to find something that will keep my skin on even keel as I use the r-a.

Egyptian Magic Ingredients

olive oil
bees wax
honey
bee pollen
royal jelly
bee propolis
Divine love
(nothing about me is the least bit divine, so this couldn't hurt, right?)

Here's the site:
Egyptian Magic

Thoughts, experiences greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    Four ounces is a pretty big jar for that money. I don't know if it's really magic, but the ingredients look healthy enough. Bee products are supposed to be very soothing and healing. It'll probably last for many months, and if you don't like it on your face, you could use it elsewhere. I'm tempted myself actually. Let me know how you like it if you try it.
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,480Registered Users
    That stuff sounds awesome! I'm going to go to Whole Foods today and look for it. There's even testimonials that it helps with frizz. Gotta love a multi-purpose product! :wink:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    i used this two years ago...bought it from Whole Foods for $22. I think I used two or three jars before I decided t stop buying. Only a small amount is needed.

I initially bought it when I had an extreme eczema flare-up. It helped a little with the itching.

I also used it on my face. It made my skin glow. It also helped with pimples. I still have a 3/4 full jar that I need to finish.

Never tried it on my hair.

I can't believe it is now $34. Wow.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    i forgot to add......ah...yes...the real reason why i stopped using it is returning to me.

i also stopped using it because WF had trouble getting it in stock. the WF rep told me that they couldn't get in touch with the company so they had to stop carrying the product. the process of me checking the two WFs spanned three or four months and then i gave up and started using something else because i couldn't find any more product and wanted to save what i had remaining my jar. this is why i have a 3/4 full jar.
    I picked some up at Whole Foods yesterday - it cost 26.99. It's a really thick smooth wax. The fragrance is subtle, not at all overpowering. So far I've only used it on my face as a night cream and on my chapped lips. And then I put a bit more on my face this morning - over the peeling areas around my nose from my cold. Feels great going on - I pat it on and then it seems to melt into the skin. It does leave a bit of a glow - not obnoxiously shiny, though. It's so thick that you don't need much - if fact it's hard to get a lot out of the jar at one time. This jar will probably last ages if I only use it on my face and lips. I'll probably try some as a pomade on my hair at some point... So far I like it! The real test will be how my acne-prone skin reacts. The testimonials say it will help. We'll see.... :bounce:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    Well, it looks like it's worth a shot, then. I actually saw it on Amazon for $19 and change, but opted to pay the full price direct from the company. It may seem silly, but I also like to see the service a company provides since I think that it can say alot about a product, too. I got an email acknowledging the order was placed, and, later in the day amazingly got the shipping notice. Although the responses are automated, the quick communication impresses me. I hope it works on my acne-prone combo skin as well, but I know I have alot of other uses for it, too. I happen to love bee products, and took royal jelly (not the dehydrated stuff) for years. It gave me alot of energy, but was expensive at the time. I may have to make a trip to the health food store now, too! Thanks for your input, guys, and looking forward to your updates, 2poodles.
    Just an update-I received this stuff on Monday-lightning fast, cheap shipping(good since Whole Foods closest to me doesn't carry it). I've used it morning and night for three days, and I really like it alot. It looked like it would be extremely greasy, but a teeny bit just melts into your skin (for me, this is over the retin-a)-no excess oil, no aggravated acne yet, and the red, irritated spots that seem to have resulted from the retin-a where I had/have breakouts are finally healing. Another plus-great on my lips, and I rub any residual balm on my hands with nice results. I hope I can continue to get success with this--y'all were right-it will last me forever....if it doesn't work out, I think I can find plenty of other uses for it (haven't tried it in hair or on the 2-year-old's sensitive butt-in-endless-potty-training yet...)
    Just an update-I received this stuff on Monday-lightning fast, cheap shipping(good since Whole Foods closest to me doesn't carry it). I've used it morning and night for three days, and I really like it alot. It looked like it would be extremely greasy, but a teeny bit just melts into your skin (for me, this is over the retin-a)-no excess oil, no aggravated acne yet, and the red, irritated spots that seem to have resulted from the retin-a where I had/have breakouts are finally healing. Another plus-great on my lips, and I rub any residual balm on my hands with nice results. I hope I can continue to get success with this--y'all were right-it will last me forever....if it doesn't work out, I think I can find plenty of other uses for it (haven't tried it in hair or on the 2-year-old's sensitive butt-in-endless-potty-training yet...)

Cool...glad you like it. I'm very tempted to buy this also.
  • SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    I've been using it 2x daily since Monday. Mr. C picked up a tub for me at Whole Foods. :love7:

So far it hasn't caused any breakouts for me. I'll only use this when it's cold or extremely dry because it is basically just wax and oil. It reminds me a lot of the Mushers Secret wax we put on the dogs' feet only it smells better (actually the Mushers Secret is kinda minty).
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • LadydncingLadydncing Posts: 964Registered Users
    Just got this at ebay for 26 dollars (free shipping)! Can't wait to get it!
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl
    Password: Locks

event.png
    Just wanted to give an update on this products.

Loving it, especially during these winter months.
    Very moisturizing! I use it on my legs, arms and
    any dry spots. I also use it on my face right
    before I go to bed. Leaves skin super soft! :)
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl

event.png
    Ladydncing wrote: »
    Just wanted to give an update on this products.

Loving it, especially during these winter months.
    Very moisturizing! I use it on my legs, arms and
    any dry spots. I also use it on my face right
    before I go to bed. Leaves skin super soft! :)

Glad you like it as much as I do! I've been using it everynight on my face, and sometimes in the morning, too. The perpetually irritated spots I got from using retin-a are almost completely healed up, and my skin is moisturized, but not greasy. I've pretty much given up my other serums/moisturizers-sometimes use them during the day, but just to use them up. The best part is that I've barely made a dent in the container!:toothy7:
    I've been using this in different areas for 3 weeks. It's really helped patchy, scaly areas of persistent eczema and retin-a irritation and best of all.... has NOT caused any acne flare-ups! :love7: It's a keeper!!

It is a keeper!!! :love7:

It's become part of my evening routine. I apply this to my face, neck, hands and any other patchy dry spot that I may be experiencing.
    A jar is going to last a long time!
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl

event.png
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users
    Ooh, I'll have to check into this.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,499Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    darn! my sister had a jar with her when i saw her at xmas and she offered to give it to me and get more for herself when she got back to Ottawa. i don't know anywhere here in London to get the stuff and my sister teaches belly dancing in Ottawa so knows of stores that carry the stuff there.

when she told me how much it cost ($35 Cdn), i said she better keep it and i'd keep looking.

my KNEES are always dry in the winter and regular body lotion just isn't helping. the Lubriderm lotion that really worked on it was discontinued a while ago and i'm about to run out of my last bit!

time to search eBay...
    My blog:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Flabellatestarossa.blogspot.ca%2F" class="Popup

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
    thanks so much, CGF. US pricing isn't a problem any more for us here in Canada - our dollar is matching yours lately.

the ebay seller is charging $10 to ship to Canada and Amazon has a cdn branch now that doesn't carry personal care items. they won't ship here any more.

:(
    My blog:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Flabellatestarossa.blogspot.ca%2F" class="Popup

• SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    I've been using it twice a week and it's working well in cold, dry weather. It's too much for wet, humid weather though. Anyway, I haven't had breakouts from it, which is great!

Rou, it's mostly olive oil and beeswax. I know it has honey in it, but I don't think there's much in there (it's fragranced to smell like honey as well) because it isn't sticky at all. I think this probably wouldn't be that hard to make especially in a microwave, although if you don't use a preservative you wouldn't want to make much at a time. I think the $30ish price per jar is pretty steep, given the ingredients, but a little does go a long way.
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
    hmmm... maybe i'll take a peek at the health food store tomorrow and see if they have anything similar.
    My blog:

don't forget the most important ingredient: love.

:tongue5:
    Windflower wrote: »
    don't forget the most important ingredient: love.

:tongue5:

Divine love...:laughing7:
    :angel10:
  • Jade99518Jade99518 Posts: 3Registered Users
    This product sounds great. Does it work as well on hair?
    I couldn't stand the pressure...so I bought a jar of this stuff. It is a very lovely consistency, absorbs into the skin nicely. Unfortunately, though, after using it on my face for 2 consecutive days, I broke out in a mass of tiny pimples around my chin. I haven't used anything else new, so I really think it's from this Egyptian Magic cream. I'll probably try it again after I get this breakout under control, but I think the beeswax ingredient is just a pore clogger for me.

It's really REALLY nice on the lips, so I'll continue to use it there and on my body. This one jar will probably last me a few decades at least.
  • kcurlskcurls Posts: 205Registered Users
    Yikes, did I have a bad reaction to this stuff! My skin always seems to be the exception to the rule. I had been having some peelies from Vit C and Retino-A, as well as mid-winter dryness, so I thought I would treat myself to E.Magic. I ended up very very red and irritated and it is only now going away.

Perhaps I'm intolerant to bees' wax? I use Burt's Bees on my lips with no prob, but my face was not happy.

I've backed off all products for now, just using a little aloe vera (straight from the plant on my desk!) to calm things down and then will add back Vit C and Retino_A slowly. I think I'll buy some HA to add to my jojoba oil and just have that be my moisturizer for winter.

Very sad, was looking forward to loving this product!
    3A - fine, just above shoulder length, w/red color and highlights.

Product: Suave Coconut leave in, Joico Joiwhip mousse, Angell or F/X Curl booster on wet hair. Sometimes rotate in ReCoil/CK.

Routine: Scrunch with cloth diapers, then use Shellynot's clipping method. Diffuse a bit without touching hair. Leave clips in at least half and hour. Remove clips and air dry.

Day 2: Pineapple, no product.

DT once a week with DevaCare OneC

ALSO:
    "I got a crush on Obama."
    That's a shame it's not working for you. I was really loving this - then my daughter stole it to help with her eczema. It's done such a good job for her....

I'm sorry this doesn't work for everyone, but this is the only moisturizer I will use on my face right now. I won't use Emu oil, and jojoba made me break out. All oil-free creams I've tried have either done nothing or also caused blemishes. It still amazes me that such a teeny bit works so well, and does not make me greasy or clog pores. I hope it continues to work in the warmer months as well.

Leave a Comment